NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Image hosting, pic hosting, scan hosting?

I am getting a few PM's and emails about the hosting of pictures and scans on www.net54baseball.com ...Let me make it very clear. I will help with any that are being hosted from our site. If you are using an external site to host I will not get involved. I don't have an issue with anyone using whatever they want to but if you want help from me, or my moderator dudes (they can actually do what they want to) then it will need to be done with our hosting. So far I have uploaded (or downloaded, heck, I don't know) 100's of scans and pics and have had 0 issues. Please feel free to comment...best regards
Old 03-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Paul

Default I would recommend...

...that everyone keep their baseball card scans on a photo sharer like Photobucket or Picassa (I prefer Picassa), which are free. All you do is upload the photo and then past the embedded image link into the text of your Net54baseball.com post. It is super easy and you get to keep all your photos in one nice place for sharing in other places, like pasting your photos into ebay descriptions so you don't have to pay fees to have ebay host images.

Just click this link to get started with Picassa web albums. Again, this is free:

http://picasa.google.com/features.html

...and it will apparently save our moderators loads of time.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-10-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Paul

I guess it's a tiny bit better for us, if folks use external hosting, but why the pushback to using the Net54 pic hosting? I have 75 great looking images in my album and upload hundreds of images otherwise and have never had a problem. IS it because if you host them somewhere else you can easily use them in other places? I know I use my personal website for the lion's share of my personal collection so do understand that idea...best regards
Old 03-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Jeff

Default For Myself

I regularly post scans on three different boards (Net54, CU, and SCN) so having them in one place makes it easy for that. I use photobucket. Is Net54 better or easier?

Edit to add: I do have three Net54 Albums in my profile so I guess I do both.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-10-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Mike

Default Net54 Images

I'll echo previous comments - I also use Photobucket and other sites.

I went to upload stuff to Net54 but apparently need to optimize my images as they don't fit within the 97+ K, 600x600 pixel limits.

Then again, I normally optimize/resize on Photobucket for displaying here, so maybe I'm splitting hairs that don't really exist ... like the ones on my head.

--
Mike
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default same barber

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
I'll echo previous comments - I also use Photobucket and other sites.

I went to upload stuff to Net54 but apparently need to optimize my images as they don't fit within the 97+ K, 600x600 pixel limits.

Then again, I normally optimize/resize on Photobucket for displaying here, so maybe I'm splitting hairs that don't really exist ... like the ones on my head.

--
Mike
Hey Mike
We must go to the same barber . It really doesn't matter to me but I have always wondered why people would prefer other places. Our album page is the easiest I have ever seen to download scans. I do understand about having them in one place though. As I said before, and not to belabor the point, but it's a little better if folks don't host them here, vis a vis space and bandwidth ....
Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 PM
T!M R10rd@n

One point of note is that if the images are hosted outside of net54baseball.com, then they are not using net54 bandwidth.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
One point of note is that if the images are hosted outside of net54baseball.com, then they are not using net54 bandwidth.
Is that correct? I thought the opposite was true. If they are hosted here, they use space, but don't have to be retreived constantly, which uses bandwidth.

But I could easily be wrong.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default never thought of that

Jim-never thought of that. I guess it could go either way but I always thought if hosted here it would use both bandwidth and space. As each page refreshes it would need to download the pics here...so space and bandwidth would be used. I guess I am not sure either.....

Last edited by Leon; 03-10-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: posted too quickly
Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Jim VB

I don't know about you, but I should not be making comments on this stuff. Where's Matt when you need him?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Richard A.

Hey...here's something I can speak to!

If you host your images with Net54 then they use space and bandwidth belonging to Net54. If you host your images elsewhere, then when you load a Net54 page that contains those pics your browser will grab them from Picassa, PhotoBucket, whatever, and use their respective bandwidth instead.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yep, that's how it works. Unless Net 54 does something weird like embedding the images, but I don't think it does.

I wasn't aware that net 54 had image hosting I could use. I'll have to check the archives. It would be a big help to me, since I use my own hosting that has limited space and rearranging stuff to leave usable space takes up a bunch of time.

Once I've figured out my own webpage that I recently got hosting for it will be much easier.

Steve
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Paul

"why the pushback to using the Net54 pic hosting?"

There is almost no upside and it is probably less convenient. Hosting images on Picassa means I don't have to use any of my own space on my computer and I can use those images at no cost on Net54 and ebay when I want to share or sell my cards.

Also, based on the initial purpose of this thread it seems like there are people that are confused about Net54 pic hosting that require attention from the moderators. Picassa is so easy to use -- download Picassa, open Picassa, click on images you want to upload, click upload, open images online, click "Link to this photo," copy link and paste it into this thread. And next time you want to sell cards on ebay, you can paste them into the description without getting charged by ebay for having to host your images.

@SignedT206
Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I actually love using the Net54 service. I have a photobucket account but I do not like having to first upload it there, and then link to the image in my post. With Net54 picture hosting, I enter my post and then click on the paper clip at the top and it brings me to a popup screen. I click browse, choose my photos, and click close window. I can see using a different service if you post on multiple boards or if you do not store many images on your computer (I keep copies of all of my images on my home computer). Net54 picture hosting is much better on this board then it was on the old board. I really appreciate having this option available.
Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Old 03-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
I keep copies of all of my images on my home computer
I keep all my images on a hard drive as well -- that's how I get them on-line to Picassa in the first place. But once they get onto Picassa, they are then available for a variety of other means and can be accessed from any computer or handheld device in the world.

@SignedT206
Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 PM
FredYoung

Default Paul--

I just opened a Picasa acct & uploaded a few pics as a test, but how do I get a URL for uploading to EBay for example?

I don't see that Feature.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Paul

You have to upload the photo to Picassa on-line and then go to the photo in Picassa on-line and then click "Link to this photo." You well get a URL string to copy and paste into the description of your ebay auction (or into any Net54 thread). When you are writing your ebay description click over to HTML mode and paste in your image.

@SignedT206
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
FredYoung

That's my problem Paul---Where do you see "Link to this photo"?

I can't find anywhere to get a URL!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:09 AM
Paul

Once you've uploaded the image, go to the Picassa website and find your image. Then click on the image. Once you are "in" the image on the website, you have a number of things you can do with it. On the rigt hand side is a "link to this photo" button. If you don't see it, that must be because you're either not "in" the photo (you may be looking at the album and need to click into it) or not on-line, but instead on the software on your computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picassapage.jpg (71.1 KB, 48 views)

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-12-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Paul

Once you click the "Link To This Photo" button, you get an "Embeded Image" tag that you can copy and paste into a Net54 thread, like so (I select "Large Size 800 px"):

From Autographed T206

@SignedT206
Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
FredYoung

Default Paul

On the right of your screenshot I see "Link to this photo".

I can not do anything to make it show up on mine.

I uploaded 5 pics in an album--I open the album to all 5 pics--I click on 1 pic & bring it up---no words "Link to this photo" appear like yours!

Does it matter whether my photos are public or private?--I selected private.

Was I supposed to download that Picasa 3.6 or whatever it is?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:45 PM
FredYoung

Default Paul---

I finally got it figured out!

In a nutshell, I had to make my photos public instead of private!

Now I get "Link to this photo" on the right side!

THANKS A MILLION for all your help!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:55 PM
FredYoung

Final UpDate----I got it to work!

Well, I'm about to give up!

My imbedded image tag, when I paste into Net54, comes up Invalid

So I tried the link tag--that comes up Invalid also.

Last edited by GoldenAge50s; 03-12-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: FINALLY---SUCCESS!!