NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Default Best way to recoup on fakes

So, I took a risk and got burned by a scumbag in Indiana. Pointed out that the 6 cards he sold me for 600 bucks are worth 40 cents and his response is more or less, "Suck it!"

Going to my credit card company with as much documentation as possible. PayPal won't do squat because he shipped me something. Anyone else have any good experiences that they can share? I pointed out the illegality of moving counterfeit goods across state lines, etc.

Not fun.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

As long as you paid with a credit card, and that bill has not been paid yet, this really should be a slam dunk for you getting your money back. Anyone that has been collecting for quite some time has had a situation like this. Do contact your credit card company immediately (as in call right now)....the sooner the better. I can't imagine them not being able to tell your offender that he just lost out. Let us know how it goes....regards

btw, I had a bad experience out of the hobby, sort of like yours. I got my CC company on the phone and then called the other person (while the CC company person was listening). The scammer on the other line admitted they rang up my cc without my permission. Just about that time my credit card company lady butted in and took care of the rest. It was sort of funny when it happened. I thought it was great. I immediately got my money back. regards

Last edited by Leon; 09-06-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Jim VB

I don't understand how Paypal will do nothing. File a claim listing the reason "Not as Described." Paypal will, after trying to contact the seller, tell you to return the cards. At the very least, use Delivery Confirmation, but I would suggest getting a Signature Confirmation.

I have never had a problem with Paypal siding with a scammer.

Edited to add: Please out the auction/seller here, after you neg him!

Last edited by Jim VB; 09-06-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Credit card companies are usually great with this sort of problem...Amex is the best. You may have to show proof that the cards are fake. I once received a refund on a card that was returned as trimmed by PSA and sold as raw (and advertised as not trimmed).
Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Jeff you should buy trimmed cards in holders, not raw.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Oh, I do that too.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Default paypal

paypal does NOT side with seller or buyer if it is not an Ebay transaction and seller can prove that something was mailed. e.g., if i sell you a stereo and you pay by PayPal and I mail you a dead cat in a box with delivery confirmation, that's good enough for them.

ONLY if it's Ebay do they get involved. I have contacted credit card and been told what I need to do. Better question is how can I punish this jerk? Maybe ruin his Ebay repuation. Muh-a-hah-hah-hah
Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACardsGuy View Post
paypal does NOT side with seller or buyer if it is not an Ebay transaction and seller can prove that something was mailed. e.g., if i sell you a stereo and you pay by PayPal and I mail you a dead cat in a box with delivery confirmation, that's good enough for them.

ONLY if it's Ebay do they get involved. I have contacted credit card and been told what I need to do. Better question is how can I punish this jerk? Maybe ruin his Ebay repuation. Muh-a-hah-hah-hah
I understand now. But on the other hand, it's tough to expect Paypal to be your savior for a transaction you choose to do off Ebay.

Your credit card company is your only bet.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:54 PM

True but both ebay and paypal take seperate cuts when you buy thru ebay. What are they doing to earn their cut when you don't use ebay? It wasn't under the gift heading was it?

Last edited by jimm; 09-06-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACardsGuy View Post
I wonder what happens if you buy a dead cat in a box and someone sends you a stereo?

Last edited by Doug; 09-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm View Post
What are they doing to earn their cut when you don't use ebay?

I look at it this way. They are transfering money, almost instantly, anywhere in the world. For that they earn a fee. Western Union charges one. The credit card companies charge one. Even most banks cost you something (Free checking isn't really "free".) When someone sends me a paper check I have to drive to a bank, or an ATM that accepts deposits. That costs time and money.

The question of whether or not Paypal is worth their fee is up to each individual. But in this case, someone did an "off Ebay" deal and is now unhappy that he does not have all the protection that Ebay/Paypal offers.

Last edited by Jim VB; 09-09-2010 at 06:40 AM.