NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Hey Howard -- I have five Jello boxes -- In addition to the Robinson, I have Ernie Banks, Milt Pappas, Clete Boyer and Willie Mays. I probably have 6-10 of the 3-card transogram boxes, and a complete or near complete set of the AL single boxes. I also have a nice in-store cardboard advertising sign.

Greg
www.baseballbasement.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.0 KB, 541 views)
Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Back to pins -- I have shown some of these before, but not in this thread. No rhyme or reason here, just a bunch of pinbacks laid out together.

Greg
www.baseballbasement.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pins 1.jpg (62.6 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg Pins 2.jpg (61.5 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg Pins 3.jpg (71.6 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg Pins 4.jpg (73.4 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg Pins 5.jpg (74.3 KB, 542 views)
Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 PM

Default NAPBL pins

Nice group of pins, Greg.

I kinda like the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues pins, worn by attendees at the NAPBL annual conventions. Here's a batch. Sorry for the crummy pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (81.0 KB, 525 views)
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
six freaking ninety five!
I know, right? I had convinced myself I was going to get an email from the seller stating they had "lost it", and had since sold it to someone who had happened to see the completed listing & offered substantially more. I am never that lucky; it was a great mail day when it finally arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Nice job, Aaron! I've got to put Haddix on my want list now.
PLMK if you ever would like to sell it.
Thanks, Scott! I will. Given the subject, I nearly dropped you a line to see if you had ever come across an example. All of my usual sources (inc. DrM's book) hadn't turned up anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Love the Harvey Aaron. This thread needs more pin back photos (and more cowbell).
Thanks, Greg! Yes, this thread definitely needs more pics of your collection
I've always loved your website. One of these days, Im going to ante up and make an offer on several of your buttons.

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 10-27-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM

Three more --

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.5 KB, 498 views)
Old 10-31-2014, 02:21 PM
Skip

Default Pins

I've accumulated these over the past few years. Sorry for the lighting issues in my office...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pins.jpg (43.1 KB, 467 views)
Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 AM

Default Palmer

Many thanks to 71Buc Mike for allowing me to add this great early pinback of HOF Jim Palmer to my no-hit pitcher pin collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim Palmer vintage pinback.jpg (59.6 KB, 432 views)
Old 11-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Many thanks to 71Buc Mike for allowing me to add this great early pinback of HOF Jim Palmer to my no-hit pitcher pin collection.
Mike is cool

What's the diameter on that thing?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Mike is cool

What's the diameter on that thing?
I don't have it in hand yet, but I believe it's somewhere between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" in diameter.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Rob

Quote:
I don't have it in hand yet, but I believe it's somewhere between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" in diameter.
part of a set, do you think?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
part of a set, do you think?
I think so, but I'll know more when I have it in hand.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
I shipped it already so I don't have it on hand to measure. However, I think it is actually around 2" to 2 1/4" in diameter. It is in great condition. I am unsure if it is part of a set or not. I absolutely am pleased that I had something Scott could add to his collection as he has helped me out many times.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I shipped it already so I don't have it on hand to measure. However, I think it is actually around 2" to 2 1/4" in diameter. It is in great condition. I am unsure if it is part of a set or not. I absolutely am pleased that I had something Scott could add to his collection as he has helped me out many times.
As Mike correctly stated the Palmer pinback is actually 2 1/4" in diameter. I received it today. No manufacturer info on the pinback to help ID it, but it definitely is vintage.

Many thanks Mike!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Rob

Because of the lack of bidding, I'm assuming no one "liked" this item...1.5" instead of 2.25" and not the usual sepia tone. What are the thoughts of the experts (Al and Paul)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _12.JPG (11.9 KB, 388 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Al

Quote:
Because of the lack of bidding, I'm assuming no one "liked" this item...1.5" instead of 2.25" and not the usual sepia tone. What are the thoughts of the experts (Al and Paul)?
Well not everyone didnt like the item. I will let you know what I think when it comes...And yes it is 1 3/4 in size..
I usually dont comment on things that I buy but I wanted to see for my self what it was

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 02-04-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Well not everyone didnt like the item. I will let you know what I think when it comes...And yes it is 1 3/4 in size..
I usually dont comment on things that I buy but if it is what it is then it is extremely rare.
Awesome. I was tempted....especially when the seller told me it had a straight pin back....he also told me it was just 1/16 to 1/8 over 1.5".
Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Tom Boblitt

Seattleraniers..............I have the 1939 NAPBL pinback belonging to Pee Wee Reese.....I'll try to post a photo of it. I collect Reese and loved the 1939 Centennial tie-in, so I had to have it......
Old 02-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Al

Quote:
Awesome. I was tempted....especially when the seller told me it had a straight pin back....he also told me it was just 1/16 to 1/8 over 1.5".
well the pin came today and and my curiosity is now satisfied Its one of those (Junk) I mean repro pins from an ebay seller pinzplus. Wrecking vintage pins by the way. The person who I got it from also wanted to know if it was real so we worked out that if it wasnt he would refund it. Now we know and the search can continue!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 02-04-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:43 PM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
And more --
Aha! Someone else with one of those bottle openers. You don't happen to know anything about it, do you? I have one, and have no idea the age, etc.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
well the pin came today and and my curiosity is now satisfied Its one of those (Junk) I mean repro pins from an ebay seller pinzplus. Wrecking vintage pins by the way. The person who I got it from also wanted to know if it was real so we worked out that if it wasnt he would refund it. Now we know and the search can continue!
Ah, damn! The seller is a good guy....he recently sent me the wrong pin but then sent the right one, no sweat.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Al

Quote:
Ah, damn! The seller is a good guy....he recently sent me the wrong pin but then sent the right one, no sweat.
Yes when I told him it was bad I think he was a bit fustrated where he bought it from. Like I told him they even had age spots on the front put in , and that was a hard thing to do. That was one reason I wanted to look at it just to see... Sad but on to the next one!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yes when I told him it was bad I think he was a bit fustrated where he bought it from. Like I told him they even had age spots on the front put in , and that was a hard thing to do. That was one reason I wanted to look at it just to see... Sad but on to the next one!
Darn repros. Glad you're able to return it without hassle.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Clint

Just got these in and I'm really liking them. Would like to pick up the Robinson boys and Powell someday too if anyone has any they'd be willing to sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpalm.jpg (45.5 KB, 911 views)
File Type: jpg vida.jpg (43.4 KB, 896 views)
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Just got these in and I'm really liking them. Would like to pick up the Robinson boys and Powell someday too if anyone has any they'd be willing to sell.
Very nice!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:11 AM

As much as I have warned collectors about reproductions, I have paradoxically come to learn that my two pinback books, one on baseball and one on boxing, are contributing to their occurrence. Most recently I am seeing it in boxing pins. They lift the image of a pin straight from my book, and then fashion a reproduction out of it. Through photo-editing techniques they remove surface blemishes and even correct for an original pin being somewhat off-center.

If I had to do it all over again, I would somehow try to present images of the pins in a way that decreased the likelihood that a reproduction could be created from it. When I told this to a professional photographer, I was told there are now more effective methods to overcome deterrents to altering photographic images than there are ways to impose them. The reverse of a pin is more diagnostic of its authenticity than the front. There is also no substitute for knowledge born of experience.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Al

As a little of a follow up on the Willie Mays Pin it did take ebay to get involved in the refund as the seller after a number of emails just never replied to the refund payment. When ebay contacted me about the pin I did have to state that it was a (Fake) or reproduction made from the original. These pins are being reproduced by a person on ebay going by PINZPLUS. To his credit he does sell them as stated reproductions but it people who are now taking them and trying to pawn them off as originals. Now the original is a 2 1/4 inch in size and the one that was bought was 1 3/4 inch in size. Now that would throw up a red flag to most pin collectors but in the world of pin collecting there are different versions coming up once in awhile that do turn out to be the real thing! A case in point Thanks to a board member is this Don Mueller pin. It is 1 3/4 inch in size and with this style pin one would assume that it would be 2 1/4 inch in size. (For the record the Mueller is the real deal) But the Mays 1 3/4 pin was a reproduction. I took a chance just because on the outside chance that it was 1 3/4 inch in size. I can tell you that that mays pin was cheaply made , very thin, had a very small collet edge and really didnt look like it was vintage. Funny thing the age spots seemed to be put on before the pin was covered.. Here is a scan of the real 2 1/4 mays along side of the 1 3/4 mueller..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-20-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'm looking for a Milw. Braves Pin that's not especially rare.... it just continually eludes me. Whenever I take a break from ebay, it's available, and whenever I'm tuned in, it's not. Anyway, it is pictured below...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-039-s-5...p2047675.l2557

This one sold for $14, which was pretty cheap. There is another one currently in Mears, which is priced at $100. The next bid (with the BP) would take the price over $130 (which is utterly ridiculous).

Bottom line.... I'll pay up to $70 if someone here wants to sell theirs. No ribbons/charms needed. It's typically a $25 - $40 Pin.

Thanks for indulging me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (80.1 KB, 858 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Picked this up last month
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.3 KB, 849 views)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey Greg, gorgeous PM1! Where did you find that Mathewson, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,
Brent
Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Mike Kendall

Default Real or Repo?

Don't think the easel back was on the original. Can anyone confirm?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.9 KB, 750 views)
Old 06-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Don't think the easel back was on the original. Can anyone confirm?
here's the listing, to see the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-brookl...p2047675.l2557

I don't know the answer, but I see he also has three other, newer 6" Dodgers pins. The guy has some nice stuff....
Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Rob

in case you missed it.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=211347

RIP, Paul.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Mikeknapp

I picked this one up for a whopping $3.00. Judging by the construction I feel its safe to attribute it to the 1971 team. I had not seen on of these before. When I received it today I was surprised to see the made in Canada marking on the back. Now I am curious what other Canadian versions of 1970's pins may exist. Does anyone have any information on such Canadian manufactured pins?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canada.jpg (69.4 KB, 787 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Rob

I'd say 1971 is a pretty safe bet. I will check my pins of a similar era and/or construction.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Rob

I checked all my likely suspects. Not a one stamped Made in Canada.

Is your pin 3.5 inches? I did notice that only the big ones seem to have that "single wall" construction.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Mikeknapp

Yes it is 3.5 inches. I have 30 pins from that era and none have the Canadian manufacturing markings.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 09-28-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Just got these in today.

Tom C
Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 AM

Tom --

Those look great grouped together like that!

Greg
Old 09-29-2015, 02:46 PM
Rob

^^^^ those are super clean for tin lithos. Any idea why Goose has no insignia on his hat?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Old 10-03-2015, 05:52 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Who's getting hit with the ball?

It's been a while since I seen him
Just remembered it's Mutt from the Mutt & Jeff cartoon.
Dam i'm old!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0510.JPG (61.1 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0513.jpg (34.6 KB, 755 views)

Last edited by D. Broughman; 10-05-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Rob

Just picked up #4 of the 5 Giants HOF pins...Mize HF38. MK (Mike) has told me there are 40 pins total. He has 37 of the 40 and, like me, is still looking for HF39 Hoyt Wilhelm. Mike has identified 39 of the 40. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO HF36 MIGHT BE?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (73.8 KB, 666 views)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Rob

Even if Paul Muchinsky's values were high by a factor of two (as they often are), someone got a good deal here. I think the seller could have done better with a better description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LOT-...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 01-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Mike H.

Holy cow pie Batman!!!! I would have paid that for the Jackson pin alone
Old 01-30-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Great research! All the Cubs I have played between the years 1971 and 1974. Banks last year with the Cubs was 1971. Some however, including Steve Stone, Vic Harris, Bill Madlock and Jerry Morales, didn't arrive with the Cubs until 1974. Apparently they made one of Ron Santo with the Cubs, and then in 1974 another one when he was with the White Sox.
What info I can add to your Cubs pins collection photo, a Billy Williams pin and a Fergie Jenkins pin (misspelled name), and two different pins each of Jose Cardenal and Rick Monday, same photos but each blown up on one of the pins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment c.jpg (75.8 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg Jenkins Williams0002.jpg (76.8 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg Cardenal pin.jpg (78.1 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg Monday pin.jpg (77.6 KB, 599 views)
Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Curt

This is much newer than most of the pins shown, but has anyone seen something like this one?

Old 01-30-2016, 11:21 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
This is much newer than most of the pins shown, but has anyone seen something like this one?

I figured Steve Garvey would want to hire a "date."
Old 01-31-2016, 03:54 AM

Quote:
I figured Steve Garvey would want to hire a "date."
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 AM
John €ffenheim

Default Early Packer pin

From the 10/14/38 Milwaukee Journal mentioning the sale of the buttons

From the 10/17/38 Milwaukee Journal

Last edited by effe; 02-07-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Rob

^^^^ I love how you were able to find the "whole story" behind the pin!