NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Dominick

Default Vin Scully

It took me a while but I finally scored a legit Vin Scully Auto. I may be a bit partial for being a Dodger fan but I think he's the greatest announcer ever in baseball. But I'm open to other suggestions. Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default maybe, but for one moment hard to top Russ Hodges

Bobby Thomson...up there swingin'...He's had two out of three, a single and a double, and Billy Cox is playing him right on the third-base line...One out, last of the ninth...Branca pitches...Bobby Thomson takes a strike called on the inside corner...Bobby hitting at .292...He's had a single and a double and he drove in the Giants' first run with a long fly to center...Brooklyn leads it 4-2...Hartung down the line at third not taking any chances...Lockman with not too big of a lead at second, but he'll be runnin' like the wind if Thomson hits one...Branca throws...[sound of bat meeting ball]
There's a long drive...it's gonna be, I believe...THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands! The Giants win the pennant and they're goin' crazy, they're goin' crazy! HEEEY-OH!!!'' [ten-second pause for crowd noise]

I don't believe it! I don't believe it! I do not believe it! Bobby Thomson...hit a line drive...into the lower deck...of the left-field stands...and this blame place is goin' crazy! The Giants! Horace Stoneham has got a winner! The Giants won it...by a score of 5 to 4...and they're pickin' Bobby Thomson up...and carryin' him off the field!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Cut to Charles Emerson Winchester III laying unconcious with his Brooklyn Dodgers cap on his chest.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

With regard to that "HEY-OHH" at the end, here is Don Delillo's brilliant account of it:

"Then he raises a pure shout, wordless, a holler from the old days -- it is fiddlin' time, it is mountain music on WCKY at five-thirty in the morning. The thing comes jumping right out of him, a jubilation, it might be heyyy-ho or it might be oh-boyyy shouted backwards or it might be something else entirely -- hard to tell when they don't use words. "

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Dominick

Us Dodger fans don't want to remember that call but it was memorable none the less.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Paul Stewart

I hate the Dodgers, but I can listen to Vin all day long!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Wasn't that Russ Hodges?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 AM

I still remember his call in game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Whenever I hear it I still gets chills down my back.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Derek Granger

Default Vin Scully

Mr. Scully (1966 "Best Wishes" Postcard):

Two of these guys (Jack Buck and Harry Caray) weren't half bad either, (1969 Oversized Postcard):

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 03-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Derryle
Der.ryle Kei.th

What about Red Barbar, I'm a baltimore guy so Chuck Thompsons voice was the background to my childhood.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 PM
J Stone

When I was a kid growing up in Northern California I discovered I could get the Dodger games on KFI on clear nights. Sometimes I had to put the radio up by the window to get a signal but it was worth it. Loved listening to Vin and Jerry Doggett despite being an A's fan. I think of Vin as the Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretzky of radio men.

I think underrated, is Bill King who did the Giants and A's during his career, was great at describing what was going on and had a massive vocabulary. Less of a storyteller than Vin (who is by far the best at that), but to me he is and always will be the voice of Bay Area sports. King also did the Raiders and Warriors (and Cal football) with equal aplomb.

I may be in the minority but I like Jon Miller's voice and style too. I think he fits radio better than TV but ya gotta follow the money these days.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Derryle
Der.ryle Kei.th

I agree 100 percent on Miller I love the way he calls a game.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I live in Florida and whenever a Dodger home game comes on at 10:00 PM I always tune in to see if Vin is calling the game. I will sit up way too late listening to him and have no regrets, he is truly one of the greats.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2

Last edited by gregr2; 03-08-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 AM
bR@dY ThuRsT0N

Saturday afternoon baseball......Vin Scully & Joe Garagiola calling a ballgame brings back many great memories!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Chris Wood

Vin has amazing longevity but personally, I can't stand more than 10 mins of his game calling. It is the non-stop worthless info-fest that irks me. "David is a graduate of USC and is 6'2"", 195 lbs. his mother is a nurse at the state hospital and his favorite color is teal". Shut up already!!

Last edited by baseball tourist; 03-09-2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 AM
J Stone

I can understand that sentiment but some of us (like me) our brains are wired for all that useless info. I know for me it sticks in there, yet someone tells me their name when introduced and I can't remember it 30 seconds later.

I have the exact same reaction to Tim McCarver, who has to explain everything as if you are seeing a baseball game for the first time. "The guy standing at the plate is holding what is called a bat, and he's trying to hit the thing that the guy on the little hill is throwing at him..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Vin has amazing longevity but personally, I can't stand more than 10 mins of his game calling. It is the non-stop worthless info-fest that irks me. "David is a graduate of USC and is 6'2"", 195 lbs. his mother is a nurse at the state hospital and his favorite color is teal". Shut up already!!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Steve A

Vin's the best. Harry Kalas was a close second.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Jeff

Default Vin.......

.....used to be a fairly automatic autograph c/o the team. He seemed to stop several years ago. I haven't tried in many moons. He's pleasant enough to listen to unlike the previously mentioned Tim "Master of the Obvious" McCarver.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Mike Dugan

Jack Buck first Vin a very close second!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
When he was covering the WS the small world anecdotes used to annoy the heck out of me. "Did you know that back in 1967 his father and Dwight Gooden's great uncle played for the same little league coach in Plano, Texas?"

Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Paul S

Scully is one of my favorites. Ernie Harwell is up there too, IMO.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Dominick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
I live in Florida and whenever a Dodger home game comes on at 10:00 PM I always tune in to see if Vin is calling the game. I will sit up way too late listening to him and have no regrets, he is truly one of the greats.
Yeah, I'm in Florida also. Thank goodness for the MLB network. Although staying up till 1am watching a game can be rough.