NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: If you knew 2018 would be your last on Earth, what would do?
Sell, and transfer the cash to your estate 69 48.59%
Sell, and spend the money on trips, drugs, and laundry 30 21.13%
Nothing, let the survivors figure it out 24 16.90%
Sell some, share some, bury some with me 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2017, 04:39 PM
Paul

Default What would you do with your collection if 2018 was your last year?

What would you do with your card collection if you knew that 2018 was going to be your last year on Earth? Would you sell it? Make other arrangements?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-31-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:51 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I would sell off some of my nicer cards for money for my family after I'm gone. I'd give away most of my post war cards to my collector friends to help with their sets. I'm sure they could use some Mantles, Mays, Clementes, etc. I don't know if I would actually have any buried with me so that part of my choice is not certain. But I believe in helping other collectors if I can, so the majority of my volume of cards would be spread around.

Nice (and morbid) thread!

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Steven

Sell it all sans a couple childhood cards and my first CJ which would be left for my children as keepsakes.

he majority of the cash would go into the kids college fund and the rest would be spent on my family and I doing some fun things like a couple big trips and a new family vehicle. Some great blow sounds fun as hell though...
Old 12-31-2017, 05:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

wtf

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:55 PM
je.sse @rnot

I would sell so my wife wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm sure we would spend some money traveling, but I'd leave most to her and let her decide what to do with it. As my passing would be rather unexpected she would have enough other things to worry about.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Jason Wells

Sell them all minus a few that I have after life plans for. Then my son and I are going to have the best year we can after his college needs are all taken care of. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:08 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I'm surprised more folks wouldn't pass on some of their cards to hobby friends/collectors.

AndyH

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I'm surprised more folks wouldn't pass on some of their cards to hobby friends/collectors.

AndyH
Helping friends is great but helping family is more of a necessity to many, including me.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Cheery stuff to ponder indeed. I may start a follow up "what would you do with your collection if you contract a terrible disease in 2018 that leaves you in 24 hour excruciating pain and are required to have all 4 limbs amputated"?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-04-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Cheery stuff to ponder indeed. I may start a follow up "what would you do with your collection if you contract a terrible disease in 2018 that leaves you in 24 hour excruciating pain and are required to have all 4 limbs amputated"?
I'd vote in that poll.........LOL
Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Robert J. Miller

I selected the cash to my estate. Family before anything. Even though I would take my wife on a trip or two.
Robert
Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 AM

you need a 5th option:

Leave my collection to my family/children.

That's different than "Nothing, let the survivors figure it out."

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-04-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Helping friends is great but helping family is more of a necessity to many, including me.

Hi Leon,

I understand. I think I said originally that I would sell off my more expensive cards and then send out the lesser stuff to hobby friends. The Mantles and such that I mentioned are low grade cards and wouldn't net much in an auction anyway, so those would go out to friends too. But I agree that helping family with the bigger items makes sense for sure.

Thanks,

AndyH

Old 01-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Hi Leon,

I understand. I think I said originally that I would sell off my more expensive cards and then send out the lesser stuff to hobby friends. The Mantles and such that I mentioned are low grade cards and wouldn't net much in an auction anyway, so those would go out to friends too. But I agree that helping family with the bigger items makes sense for sure.

Thanks,

AndyH

I would sell most of my collection which would most likely go directly into my kids’ college fund and I’d probably have my boys keep a few cards or memorabilia so they can always embrace one of their dad’s hobby passions. I’d also have my wife keep a few items that I believe would increase in value so that she can reap a bigger monetary reward later on (hope that works out )

Andy...I’m glad you brought up passing on some lesser cards to hobby friends because that’s a great idea and now I’d look to do the same thing or at least give them a nice discount if anything...thanks for the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Man I'm so torn. I'd love to sell it and just leave some cash in the estate but as a new dad (my son just turned 13 months) I don't really know.

Will he give a darn about baseball or the cards, who knows!? But if I knew I'd be going I feel like I'd leave a handful of cards to him with some notes explaining why they meant what they meant to me.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Sean Costello

I have neither a wife or children, but I would still sell most of the valuable cards, just because I'm curious what they would bring. I would give away some smaller cards to friends as keepsakes.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Steve, I can't wait to see what choices you give us in your poll.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Barry Sloate

With World War III right around the corner, this could be our last year. A very prescient question.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I have neither a wife or children, but I would still sell most of the valuable cards, just because I'm curious what they would bring. I would give away some smaller cards to friends as keepsakes.
Sean, while I wish you nothing but long life and happiness, if it were ever to come to that, all you need to do is make one phone call my friend -- Your collection is beast and I would love to own some of it one day!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
you need a 5th option:

Leave my collection to my family/children.

That's different than "Nothing, let the survivors figure it out."

They will have plenty of money left for them in the estate. I made the boys promise me that they wouldn't sell as the collection represents a labor of love. If they do sell, I will haunt them from the grave!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 01-04-2018, 03:22 PM

Kevin- exactly.

Sean- can you leave me your Plank scrap?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Bob McLean

This is a question that as a dealer I have put off for a number of years. This year I turn 70 and the question is becoming more pressing.

I will likely sell all my inventory and not look back. I see no heirs interested in my stuff, and they would not get as good a return as I would when I sell. Having cleared my inventory 7 times and started up again I don't view this as a problem. I haven't sold completely out for three years, so depending on my inventory after Cleveland it should be interesting.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nothing. If I am terminated this year my family wins a seven figure insurance lottery so they can dispose of the cards at will without pressure. I left them instructions as to who to call and how to do it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-05-2018, 08:28 AM

At the auction house I work for we get questions like this multiple times every day.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:40 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

It's moot. The nuclear blast will destroy everything and everyone I love.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

I like to think that if someone here had a terminal illness, that we would bond together and buy his cards without haggling over 20%. I know that I would certainly help a fellow n54 member by paying what full hammer (on the high end) would be at a major auction house. Hell, I'd go 20% over depending on the circumstances. Even if it's not a card I long to own, I would definitely help any of you guys out. Quite frankly, I think it should be a pact among us. The only caviat would be membership of over 2 years or 100 posts or more . We don't need a bunch of sob stories from "new members" with Ruth rookies they need to move in light of their pending demise.

Last edited by orly57; 01-05-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:02 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I like to think that if someone here had a terminal illness, that we would bond together and buy his cards without haggling over 20%. I know that I would certainly help a fellow n54 member by paying what full hammer (on the high end) would be at a major auction house. Even if it's not a card I long to own, I would definitely help any of you guys out. I think it should be a pact among us quite frankly. The only caviat would be 100 posts or more . We don't need a bunch of sob stories from "new members" with Ruth rookies they need to move in light of their pending demise.
I love this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk