NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM

Default Huggins and Scott Auctions - Open For Bidding

All:

Just a friendly reminder that our auction is now open for bidding!

961 Lots will close on Thursday night April 10th with all initial bids needing to be placed by 10:00pm Eastern Time on that night.

Thanks,
Josh Wulkan
www.hugginsandscott.com
auction@hugginsandscott.com
Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Default Auction Ends Tonight

Just a reminder that our second 2014 auction ends tonight. All initial bids must be placed by 10:00pm ET. The 30-minute clock begins on each lot at 11:00pm ET tonight.
Good luck with your bids.
Josh
www.hugginsandscott.com
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Just curious - how did you determine that the following two lots were period pieces?

The listing for this one (John Ward) describes it as Ca. 1890s

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=67017

This one (Ewing and Mascot) is listed as an 1887 cabinet:

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=67018

Thanks

Chris Bland

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 PM

Chris,
they were showed to SGC and deemed "authentic" and "period", however, they were too large for any of their holders and therefore they were not encapsulated. They told us they could trim them down and put them into a holder with an AUTH grade, but we opted to not have them trim them and leave them in the state that we received them from the consignor.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugginsandscott View Post
Chris,
they were showed to SGC and deemed "authentic" and "period", however, they were too large for any of their holders and therefore they were not encapsulated. They told us they could trim them down and put them into a holder with an AUTH grade, but we opted to not have them trim them and leave them in the state that we received them from the consignor.
Good call not allowing a trim job just to fit a slab.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Chris,
So SGC offered to trim the card down? That is the first time I have ever heard of a card grader offering to alter a card to make it gradable.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM

not "make it gradable". Make it fit in one of their holders. It wasn't going to get a numerical grade, just a slab indicating "AUTHENTIC"

Last edited by hugginsandscott; 04-10-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Rats. Once again I saw the time ending and didn't realize that it was 2 hours after initial bids had to be placed. Oh well.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Well I won the item I wanted from H&S so I am off to bed. I will just have to see how the other auction ending tonight does for me in the morning.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Phil Garry

WOW, watched the group of 3 Baltimore Negro League photos last night go from $650 as extended bidding began to a final price of $6K + juice, that's quite a bump up on the final night. Must have been one happy consignor there.....
Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Steven H.

Having a little buyers remorse this morning after winning the 1927 WS program. It's the largest purchase I've made on my collection to date, but will be well worth it when I place it next to my cards of the 1927 Murderers Row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 04-11-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
WOW, watched the group of 3 Baltimore Negro League photos last night go from $650 as extended bidding began to a final price of $6K + juice, that's quite a bump up on the final night. Must have been one happy consignor there.....
I really enjoyed writing that lot and figured there would be interest in it. I think a Holiday Inn Express stands now where the old ballpark was. However, my favorite Negro League piece of the auction was undoubtedly Lot 278.

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=67253

James
Old 04-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

I was happy to win the one lot I went after for less than my max bid. Got a good deal on an item I'd been looking to add to my collection for a while now.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Robert Williams

I thought the majority of lots went rather high for what was there. To the point, that I am thinking of consigning with Huggins & Scott if they get those kinds of results all the time!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shernan30 View Post
Having a little buyers remorse this morning after winning the 1927 WS program. It's the largest purchase I've made on my collection to date, but will be well worth it when I place it next to my cards of the 1927 Murderers Row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me that's probably the holy grail of programs. Generally you can't go wrong with something like that - if you paid too much, it will catch up soon enough.

I wanted the live-action 1890's Baltimore cabinet, and was prepared to bid...at 7:02, which was 2 minutes late. I saw '1:58 remaining' and thought I was safe for that amount of time. A message that gives the amount of time for initial bids would be far more effective, but that's not picking on this particular auction house - this is the way almost all of them handle it.

Last edited by Runscott; 04-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM

Scott,
I certainly apologize for any confusion, however it is on every item page, in big bold letters on our home page, in every blast I sent out and even in the top two postings on this thread:

Auction Ends Tonight
Just a reminder that our second 2014 auction ends tonight. All initial bids must be placed by 10:00pm ET. The 30-minute clock begins on each lot at 11:00pm ET tonight.
Josh
www.hugginsandscott.com
03-31-2014 11:16 AM
hugginsandscott
Huggins and Scott Auctions - Open For Bidding
All:

961 Lots will close on Thursday night April 10th with all initial bids needing to be placed by 10:00pm Eastern Time on that night.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Very happy with my single win of the Sun Pictures Ruth negative. Now just waiting for the invoice so that I can get my grubby hands on it sooner!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott,
I certainly apologize for any confusion, however it is on every item page, in big bold letters on our home page, in every blast I sent out and even in the top two postings on this thread:

Auction Ends Tonight
Josh
www.hugginsandscott.com
03-31-2014 11:16 AM
hugginsandscott
Huggins and Scott Auctions - Open For Bidding
All:

I completely understand that the information is there. The message was received correctly (by me) several times, early in the day when you send out your 'final day of bidding' and '5 hours left to place initial bids' messages, but as I'm generally fairly busy and not fixated on any particular auction, when it comes right down to it, as the day progresses I forget those email deadline times and what I end up noticing as bid time approaches, is that message that says '3 hours left' that really means, '1 hour left', so I screw off for a little over an hour - given that it's feeding time at my home, and I'm the cook..... I went in 2 minutes late to begin bidding.

I simply made a suggestion, but I do understand that most people are getting the message and processing it at the appropriate time, as your high bids would indicate. It just doesn't work well for me personally - if it's working for most people, then please ignore me.

Last edited by Runscott; 04-11-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Brendan Mullen

Won my fist T206 Lenox. Not a good looking front, but the back is intact. Pretty excited.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Neither the consignor nor the auction house seemed to realize that Pete Hill, Jud Wilson, John Beckwith, Heavy Johnson, and others were in those photos. I'm guessing the bidders did.

-Ryan
Old 04-12-2014, 04:36 AM
Rich Klein

Yep, there are a lot of eagle eyes in this hobby

And that's why (and I know Barry S has trumpeted this many times) but while we all enjoy very las tminute bidding be it in an catalog auction or EBay, sometimes putting in your bids in advance ensures you of a chance for the item, i can't tell you how many times I've read on message boards about just missing making a bid or forgot about it.

And while the cards on Rbay are not what they used to be, again if you have a good item and a seller without that much card experience, they might panic if they do not see any bids early. Yes, I know we're all afraid of being shilled but if you put in a bid you are comfortable with, what is the difference?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Won my fist T206 Lenox. Not a good looking front, but the back is intact. Pretty excited.
Nice pick up Brendan! I was the under bidder and was debating another bid right through the very end. I just couldn't pull the trigger. Tough back and you got it for a really decent price.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Brendan Mullen

Thanks Steve. One more bid and it was yours. Haha. But yes, I think I got it for a decent price.

Brendan
Old 04-12-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Nice pick up Brendan! I was the under bidder and was debating another bid right through the very end. I just couldn't pull the trigger. Tough back and you got it for a really decent price.
I actually discovered that card in a pile of about 55-60 T206 cards (the rest were Piedmont backs). I thought it would be a neat little addition to our catalog and I pulled it....fully aware that is would grade a SGC 10. Can't go wrong with a Lenox in your catalog, right?

James
Old 04-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Jeremy W.

If anyone here won lot #324- (2) Kid Nichols cabinet cards, I'd be interested in either one of them. Thanks & sorry if this should be in the BST thread… wasn't sure. Jeremy
Old 04-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
If anyone here won lot #324- (2) Kid Nichols cabinet cards, I'd be interested in either one of them. Thanks & sorry if this should be in the BST thread… wasn't sure. Jeremy
That would be Hunt. I know because I didn't try quite hard enough to win that lot.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Jeremy W.

Yes, you're right. I wish you would have tried harder. At least then I would know who to harass. haha

Tags
auction, baseball, huggins, scott