NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2016, 07:40 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default Goodwin preview with bids already placed?

Could some one explain how the current Goodwin auctions is up for preview, but yet there are bids placed? Auction isn't supposed to open until tomorrow. Here is an example http://www.goodwinandco.com/1909_11_...-LOT32072.aspx

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 02-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Goodwin

Very disappointed in this. I placed a bid because it says it was open. Then I got an outbid email and went to bid again and locked out. Says it's a preview now. Hmmm....
Old 02-21-2016, 07:47 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

i assume they will reset the bids to zero
Old 02-21-2016, 07:49 PM
pete ullman

Those are just the house bids!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I'm one of the bidders who was already able to place a couple bids in the Goodwin auction. Basically, I logged into the site to check it out, and noticed that you could place bids even though it was supposed to be only in Preview mode, so I put my usual placeholder bids in. Not sure why they would reset the bids to 0. That would just cause confusion to those who already placed bids to suddenly get their bids retracted by the auction house.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:01 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I'm one of the bidders who was already able to place a couple bids in the Goodwin auction. Basically, I logged into the site to check it out, and noticed that you could place bids even though it was supposed to be only in Preview mode, so I put my usual placeholder bids in. Not sure why they would reset the bids to 0. That would just cause confusion to those who already placed bids to suddenly get their bids retracted by the auction house.
well they would reset it so the auction starts to when they said the auction starts...
Old 02-21-2016, 08:02 PM

This was a mistake on my part and I apologize to all. Bill had asked me to put the auction in preview and I accidentally opened it for auction for about an hour. All bids will stay in place and it will open up again either tomorrow or Tuesday. Please accept my apologies once again

Bob Freedman
CEO, Simple Auction Site
Old 02-21-2016, 08:04 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
This was a mistake on my part and I apologize to all. Bill had asked me to put the auction in preview and I accidentally opened it for auction for about an hour. All bids will stay in place and it will open up again either tomorrow or Tuesday. Please accept my apologies once again

Bob Freedman
CEO, Simple Auction Site
Extremely unprofessional to start an auction before the stated auction time...auction houses go to great lengths to explain when an auction ends..and makes warnings that an auction may end sooner than a certain time..

however i guess auctions can start whenever they want...
Old 02-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Extremely unprofessional to start an auction before the stated auction time...auction houses go to great lengths to explain when an auction ends..and makes warnings that an auction may end sooner than a certain time..

What difference does it make? In the end the high bid is going to win and everyone will have plenty of time to bid. Seems like Bob made a mistake and quickly corrected it and that should be that.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:

A mistake was made, I am sure you have made them in your work as well. No need to make any more of it than that.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What difference does it make? In the end the high bid is going to win and everyone will have plenty of time to bid. Seems like Bob made a mistake and quickly corrected it and that should be that.
If someone makes a high bid on the same bidding slot as someone that was going to bid when the auction opens it makes a difference.......the person that is following the rules now may not be able to win the item for what would of been the potential winning price and loses that opportunity....an 'correcting' it doest mean stopping bidding..it means resetting the bids....you cant argue otherwise

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-21-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
A mistake was made, I am sure you have made them in your work as well. No need to make any more of it than that.
Theres a difference....i have made mistakes at work that i couldnt change ...you have the ability to start all the bids at zero and the auction acually begins at the stated time that you have set.....it was really a bad comparison to say that that I make mistakes at work because you still have the ability to correct the mistake.....not sure how anyone is harmed but just starting the auction just as you stated with all bids starting at zero.

......i wish i had the ability to correct past mistakes.....it actually wouldnt even be a mistake if you just corrected it now..it really no bid deal to it i would think but maybe the software doesnt let you ..

There are usually science fiction movies about going back into the past to correct mistakes.....no time machine needed ... you can do what you want..but again not fair to say 'you made (mistakes) in your work as well. Your mistake does not even begin yet..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-21-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If someone makes a high bid on the same bidding slot as someone that was going to bid when the auction opens it makes a difference.......the person that is following the rules now may not be able to win the item for what would of been the potential winning price and loses that opportunity...you cant argue otherwise
I doubt many people place a ceiling bid at the opening bell. I doubt even more there are lots where two people were going to do so at the same level and one has now been denied.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-21-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:21 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I doubt many people place a ceiling bid at the opening bell. I doubt even more there are lots where two people were going to do so at the same level and one has now been denied.
wont know until bidding actually starts tomorrow...but we do know the fairest thing to do is start the auction when it was supposed to start....why are you commenting about ifs and making excuses..yes its possible no harm no foul...but we dont know for sure....what we do know is a mistake was made and it can easily be corrected..whats the harm in resetting the bids.....instead of most likely no harm no foul in keeping it how it is..it would be ZERO Harm Zero foul if its reset....or am i wrong

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-21-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Apology accepted

Quote:

Bob Freedman
CEO, Simple Auction Site
Bob,
Thank you. I got my placeholder bid in at least and I can understand a mistake. The measure of a man is not in if he makes a mistake, but how he reacts to it. So thank you and this should have no bearing on the final results.
Jake,
You need to cut a little slack. Stuff happens. At least he didn't hide behind a bunch of excuses.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
wont know until bidding actually starts tomorrow...but we do know the fairest thing to do is start the auction when it was supposed to start....why are you commenting about ifs and making excuses..yes its possible no harm no foul...but we dont know for sure....what we do know is a mistake was made and it can easily be corrected..whats the harm in resetting the bids.....instead of most likely no harm no foul in keeping it how it is..it would be ZERO Harm Zero foul if its reset....or am i wrong
The man made a mistake as he explained. Life goes on. It seems it would generate a lot more confusion to start cancelling everyone's bids. It will be fine.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-21-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
The man made a mistake as he explained. Life goes on.
right he made a correctable mistake...like goes on...can do what he wants...but dont deny its correctable.....runs a great auction and does a great job..

i just wish in life my mistakes were correctable to a point that the mistake disappears...maybe im envious..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-21-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Totally agree with Peter here, in the end, the highest bid will win.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:38 PM
MikeHealer

This might help correct some mistakes
Old 02-21-2016, 08:43 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
This might help correct some mistakes
Would help on a lot of your posts for sure! But you do not think the 1991 Eagles NFL defense is one of the top defenses of all time so you lose all credibility right there

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-21-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Totally agree with Peter here, in the end, the highest bid will win.
Ive won a bunch of auctions when my high bid got tied by someone elses and that person refused to bid the next bidding slot (which could be $1000+)..im sure those guys that lost on a tied bid wished they could of bid a day before the auction started..

easy to say 'highest bid will win' of course if you are willing to overpay you can always win but why bid more than you have too?
Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Would help on a lot of your posts for sure! But you do not think the 1991 Eagles NFL defense is one of the top defenses of all time so you lose all credibility right there
I don't think, I know they weren't. They were one of the best in Eagles history though.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Some damn good players on that Eagle team. Reggie White, Andre Waters, Eric Allen, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown. Not the Steelers, but pretty formidable.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:05 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Some damn good players on that Eagle team. Reggie White, Andre Waters, Eric Allen, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown. Not the Steelers, but pretty formidable.
also left out seth joyner..also Mike Pitts..william thomas (two pro bowls)

I believe they only gave up one more point than the 1977 Steeler team in 2 less games but i can be wrong
Old 02-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Andre Waters, such a tragic story. Yet another victim of traumatic brain injury.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Andre Waters, such a tragic story. Yet another victim of traumatic brain injury.
reggie white died too quickly too. and Jerome Brown........

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-21-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:55 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
I believe they only gave up one more point than the 1977 Steeler team in 2 less games but i can be wrong
They gave up 106 more points than the '76 steelers. You chose to pick the steelers worst year from the mid 70's
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
They gave up 106 more points than the '76 steelers. You chose to pick the steelers worst year from the mid 70's
in 2 less games..and the redskins in the Eagles division that they had to play twice was the superbowl and led the league in points..plus the Cowboys had double digit wins...their divison had better teams that year offensiviely versus the steelers...(so i guess i was right about the 77) ..plus the fact offenses scored more points in the 90s then the 70s.....

so not so easy just to say 106 points more allowed than the 76 steelers.......

eagles had 2 more games, harder division, more offensive decade etc....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-21-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

i have not read the entire thread simply because i got bored real quick because of the following..

jake,

in the watercooler section, weren't you the one sticking up for sean because he made a simple error. blasted the op for "trolling for pricing errors" and said that everyone makes errors, blah blah blah.

i just found it quite odd and boring that you immediately started throwing rocks at someone else for making a similar mistake when you so vehemently defended others for making a "simple mistake".

pick a side and stick to it.

don't bother writing up a long thesis about how the 2 mistakes are different.

i said what i needed to say and no longer care.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:17 PM

Default Goodwin

Quote:
+1
Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

[QUOTE=begsu1013;1507002]i have not read the entire thread simply because i got bored real quick because of the following..

jake,

in the watercooler section, weren't you the one sticking up for sean because he made a simple error. blasted the op for "trolling for pricing errors" and said that everyone makes errors, blah blah blah.

i just found it quite odd and boring that you immediately started throwing rocks at someone else for making a similar mistake when you so vehemently defended others for making a "simple mistake".

pick a side and stick to it.

don't bother writing up a long thesis about how the 2 mistakes are different
__________________________________________________ _______________________

if you make a criticism you can expect a response especially when what you said is untrue

'WHERE DID I BLAST THE OP for pricing errors you said "trolling for pricing errors" ..show me the posts--- i guess you just like making up things that people say.... (i think it was KCRfan made the post you are referring to which i made no mention too)

the are two totally different situations, if you sell a 1952 mantle for 5 dollar list price its a 'mistake' but you can correct it and list the card at the real price ...if you list an auction is going to start on a Monday and you start it on a Sunday you can also fix that mistake and change the auction to a Monday

my arguments are not inconsistent at all...i think just about everyone agreed with what Sean did as well by the way by not selling the cards at the mistake prices ....i guess you were the one that didn't ..its not like i was arguing a minority opinion there..

this thread may be a different story as far as public opinion..and like i said the AH can do what they want and is a good AH overall...its just so simple to fix the mistake and start the auction tomorrow like they said they would...no biggee...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-21-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:27 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

yep.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:30 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
yep.
+1
Old 02-22-2016, 04:24 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
I'm OUTRAGED!

How can they do that?!?

Wait, what? Someone on the internet said something mean about someone? I'm OUTRAGED! How can they say that?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
right he made a correctable mistake...like goes on...can do what he wants...but dont deny its correctable.....runs a great auction and does a great job..

i just wish in life my mistakes were correctable to a point that the mistake disappears...maybe im envious..
Envious or something. That might be one of the most harmless mistakes ever made and you go ape shi$ on him? No more coffee for you this morning (or last night ).

Last edited by Leon; 02-22-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

It is outright foolish to say opening an auction before the announced time makes no difference. It probably doesn't make a difference when your bidding on a friend's auction, or in the hammer price, but sure makes a difference who wins it.

Mistakes can happen, and I don't believe there is an easy fix.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Bry@n

Another Goodwin question: did anyone get a print catalog?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I guess I am foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
It is outright foolish to say opening an auction before the announced time makes no difference. It probably doesn't make a difference when your bidding on a friend's auction, or in the hammer price, but sure makes a difference who wins it.

Mistakes can happen, and I don't believe there is an easy fix.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Glyn Parson

Default This is so silly.

I have seen countless auctions start before the announced date over the years. Getting bent out of shape over a mistake is foolish and the response by a certain individual is rude and just makes you look like a jerk.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 AM
J1m C0chran

Wow, I just became high bidder on 15 different lots and I'm sure nothing will stick at the current level. But, to those upset, please feel free to boycott the auction. Also, let's hear from anyone who could not get a bid in because of the false opening. The board is a good sample, IMO.

Last edited by jcc6252; 02-22-2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: edited to change wording
Old 02-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Eric
Eric

Default bid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc6252 View Post
Wow, I just became high bidder on 15 different lots and I'm sure nothing will stick at the current level. But, to those upset, please feel free to boycott the auction. Also, let's hear from anyone who could not get a bid in because of the false opening. The board is a good sample, IMO.
I got a bid in during the "soft opening" for lack of a better term. I was outbid and went to re-up and was locked out saying it was a preview. it is now back open and I placed a bid and it went through. No harm, no foul. I am satisfied to know the reason that things happened the way they did. FOR ME, and I can't speak for anyone else, this will not affect my outcomes in this auction by any stretch of the imagination. Again, that is for me.
I have had no problems with Goodwin in the past, or about this for that matter
Old 02-22-2016, 08:21 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc6252 View Post
Bidders won't know until the end of the auction, whether their high bid would have won, or if someone else's max has taken their "spot" due to the early opening.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Bidders won't know until the end of the auction, whether their high bid would have won, or if someone else's max has taken their "spot" due to the early opening.
If you bid now and become high bidder (as I too just did on a number of lots), then there was no max.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:35 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
If you bid now and become high bidder (as I too just did on a number of lots), then there was no max.

Then of course in that case, there would not be any difference. To make the blanket statement that it will have NO DIFFERENCE in the outcome, is pretty short sighted.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:36 AM
J1m C0chran

Quote:
+1
Old 02-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Then of course in that case, there would not be any difference. To make the blanket statement that it will have NO DIFFERENCE in the outcome, is pretty short sighted.
Just my opinion but I think you are (almost ) exactly 100% wrong.

Last edited by Leon; 02-22-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Is it theoretically possible someone got in early and placed a max bid that will hold up? I suppose so, but it seems relatively unlikely. And who's to say that the same early bidder wouldn't have been first in line anyhow at the regular opening, if your supposition is that a second guy who wanted to place the same max bid was unfairly pre-empted?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-22-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Is it theoretically possible someone got in early and placed a max bid that will hold up? I suppose so, but it seems relatively unlikely. And who's to say that the same early bidder wouldn't have been first in line anyhow at the regular opening, if your supposition is that a second guy who wanted to place the same max bid was unfairly pre-empted?
i placed a few max bids and someone took the bidding slot who tok the slot before the auction opened most likely...if the persons max bid holds up and noone beats it then you see the problem.....i get it life is unfair..i am just stating that you cant say zero consequences when open an auction early...i can of course pay more than i wanted to to attempt to win the card and to see if its the max bid but why pay more than i should have had too potentially...

all i know if none of this is of any issue if auction just started when it was supposed to or just reset yesterday when advised...

i did get some other bids in that are now the high bids as well so no problems there...
Old 02-22-2016, 09:05 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:

i agree.....theres a rush sometimes to get that highest market value bidding slot......people wait up at night as well when auctions about to end to get that last bid in...however auction closing early can be combated by placing a max bid or on ebay a snipe bid type of thing...there is nothing that can be done in the event a auction starts early..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-22-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Just my opinion but I think you are (almost ) exactly 100% wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and they are a board advertiser, but don't insult my intelligence.

I put in my max bid 100% of the time the very minute the auction opens. If someone had the advantage of early bidding, which was not announced, and took my slot, how is that not an unfair advantage?