NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Default 1954 Aaron PSA 4 Something off

Hope someone didnt buy this Aaron as you may get an empty envelope. Funny how many of these auctions emulate from Chicago area. Here is the one that sold for $950 today but sold for $1125 one week before to another buyer. Maybe someone else can figure out but usually people dont volunteer to lose $400 in one week.

Fake listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Topps-1...p2047675.l2557

Real listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Topps-H...UAAOSwGotWrVls

Last edited by ezez420; 02-13-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 AM

When a seller who primarily sells cell phones and cell phone accessories suddenly has a $1K+ baseball card for sale it is time to run.... run far, FAR away!!
Old 02-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

How did the fake guy get that psychedelic picture??
Old 02-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Bry@n

That groovy picture is what happens when you take a picture of your computer screen. Oddly, he downloaded the pic of the back from the original listing to post in his fake listing but decided not to do the same for the front. Perhaps an attempt to make the cert # harder to read?

I don't know if it would help my case or not, but when I buy something expensive from Ebay I take a close up video of the sealed package, labels and tape especially, and then film myself opening it without ever letting the package leave the shot. I have never gotten burned (knock on wood) so have never had to do anything with the video, but it might come in handy if someone ever sends me an 87 Topps Jim Gantner instead of what I bought. Also important, in the case of getting burned, would be to keep every piece of the package to pair with your video evidence. It might not hold up but it would be a hell of a lot better than having nothing or solely the testimony of a friend or family member.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
That groovy picture is what happens when you take a picture of your computer screen. Oddly, he downloaded the pic of the back from the original listing to post in his fake listing but decided not to do the same for the front. Perhaps an attempt to make the cert # harder to read?

I don't know if it would help my case or not, but when I buy something expensive from Ebay I take a close up video of the sealed package, labels and tape especially, and then film myself opening it without ever letting the package leave the shot. I have never gotten burned (knock on wood) so have never had to do anything with the video, but it might come in handy if someone ever sends me an 87 Topps Jim Gantner instead of what I bought. Also important, in the case of getting burned, would be to keep every piece of the package to pair with your video evidence. It might not hold up but it would be a hell of a lot better than having nothing or solely the testimony of a friend or family member.
From someone who got burned like this, this is a very sound practice. Another is to open the package in the presence of the post office personnel. I had a three month battle to recoup almost $5k because I received an empty package. It wasn't settled until the post office manager wrote an affidavit attesting to the incorrect weight.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Emailed the second seller, and he said his account was hijacked and he's already reached out to the buyer.

Q: how does this happen? If someone hijacks my account, would I see the item in my "sale" section? When it's paid for, does it go to MY paypal?
Old 02-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Emailed the second seller, and he said his account was hijacked and he's already reached out to the buyer.

Q: how does this happen? If someone hijacks my account, would I see the item in my "sale" section? When it's paid for, does it go to MY paypal?
I don't understand either. Don't you know what is going on in your account?
Yeah, and emails saying your accounted has been added to. Strange indeed.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:59 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

ebay suffered a hack about 8 months or so ago.

the hackers only got dormant account handles and passwords.

so 99% of the folks have absolutely no clue that their account got hacked.

i've got pretty good at spotting these and there are some tips included in how to thwart/protect yourself....

i still pull the trigger if there's a chance simply because i know exactly how to not make it a nightmare should it be bogus...

so far outta 5 attempts only 1 was an actual deal.

https://forums.collectors.com/messag...&keyword1=odds

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-13-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

This was a very active account, and recently.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

hmm. maybe they did get access to active accounts as well and have just burned thru all the dormant ones first.

that would be truly scary.

who knows these days.

if some of these folks actually put the thought/time/effort to some sort of legitimate enterprise, they'd have no reason to do any of this...

ball of confusion.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Bry@n

Let this conversation serve as a reminder to all: change your Ebay passwords.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:23 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Let this conversation serve as a reminder to all: change your Ebay passwords.
Yep, received an e-mail months ago about a possible attack on my account.

Finally got around to changing it yesterday (been years since I used it) and I changed it to something that came up as "strong" meaning it will be difficult to hack.
Doesn't mean it's fool proof, but it makes them work for it, and possibly give up on it.

I suggest various capitals, numbers and symbols like these !@#$%^&* mixed in/throughout.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post

I was recently the victim of a eBay hacker. My ebay account was compromised and the criminal decided to list PS4 gaming systems at a BIN price of $35. Now no reasonable person should believe that anyone would be selling a $300+ video game systems for this price but this guy found over 30 suckers in a matter of minutes! I was sitting enjoying a Christmas Eve night with my family when literally my phone began blowing up with notifications regarding my eBay account. I didn't have any items listed for sale so I knew something was wrong and immediately started taking action. I was locked out of my account as the hacker had changed my password. I had to retrieve access through my email account and then take down the listing but not before 36 gaming systems had been purchased in less than the hour that the listing was up. I am almost exclusively a buyer on ebay and have only sold a handful of items in the past 15 years so there I am trying to figure out just how I am supposed to resolve this. I had no idea where exactly to start and since it was 9 pm on Christmas Eve couldn't get any live assistance. I am still not clear on what exactly the hacker did, but none of the money paid by the buyers went into my PayPal account. Some buyers reported to me receiving shipping confirmation emails of the purchase even that I don't know how were sent. It was a complete pain in the butt even after I was able to get assistance from eBay and I thought it had been fully resolved, but just about 2 weeks ago I got a message from ebay saying my seller account was being restricted due to the poor seller ratings and experience. So apparently even though the fraudulent sales don't show on my account and I have a 100% feedback score ebay must be holding these fraudulent sales against me. If I actually planned to sell anything through there I might worry about it more. I know this situation is different than an account being hijacked long enough to run a week long auction but it is certainly something that can happen to you if you don't have precautions in place. My account was only compromised for less than an hour. Had I not had my ebay account set to send notifications to my phone it might have been a full day, maybe 2 (It was Christmas after all) before I bothered to look at my email or ebay account and if the hacker had thought to deactivate notifications/emails on the account prior to making his listing that is likely what would have happened. Who knows how many people would have been scammed had the listing remained up that long.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Wonder what that Aaron would have graded without that paper loss on that back corner??
Old 02-22-2016, 03:25 AM

Wonder what that Aaron would have graded without that paper loss on that back corner??
Old 02-22-2016, 06:18 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Yep, received an e-mail months ago about a possible attack on my account.

Finally got around to changing it yesterday (been years since I used it) and I changed it to something that came up as "strong" meaning it will be difficult to hack.

Doesn't mean it's fool proof, but it makes them work for it, and possibly give up on it.

I suggest various capitals, numbers and symbols like these !@#$%^&* mixed in/throughout.

https://lastpass.com

With Lastpass, you create one and only one really secure password that you can remember (or write it down and put it in your wallet), and then let the software create random, maximum length and complexity passwords (that you will never have to remember) for each of your website accounts. That way if one of your passwords is compromised, it won't work on other sites, since they're different for each one.