NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default best glove repair guy

guys, who is the best glove repair guy for vintage gloves. thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Chris Wood

Default this fellow comes well reccommended by the folks on the vintage glove forum

http://www.baseballglove.com/
Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Brett Lowman

I'd highly, highly recommend a member of this forum - william_9 - he just did some work for me and it is quite remarkable. If you need before and after pictures, drop me an email and I'll be glad to share. He does amazing work!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 AM

I can't agree more. William relined a King Patent glove for me & just a great job.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default glove repair

guys how do i get in touch with william 9. thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

May I ask what kind of glove you’re looking to have repaired and what type of work you’d like done?

Though it is acceptable practice in the glove hobby to clean gloves, some collectors do not like them to be altered in any other way. Relacing and relining is relatively common, but be careful on more expensive examples. There are some of us, and I am included in this camp, that will not purchase or trade for a glove that has been relined or relaced. I wouldn’t worry about an example of lesser value, but think twice about going ahead with the process on a higher value model. It may diminish its value substantially.

If the glove is extremely rare (desirable endorser or 19th century type), but is beat to hell and REALLY needs work, try your damnedest to use vintage materials when making the alterations.

I don’t want to take business away from any repair expert, but it’s best not to touch SOME gloves. Ultimately, the decision rests with the owner and his personal preferences. Just be aware of the potential ramifications when it comes to resale.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Brett Lowman

Mr. Mitt, completely agree with you that some gloves should not be touched or altered. The ones I had done were for my collection. Here is one of them. It is a Treman King Co. Vance style glove. The lining was totally shot and I wanted it redone. The piping wasn't great either so that was repaired. William does an incredible job of using the proper leather and matching the color as close as possible. I'm thrilled with it. He can be contacted at wmpeebles@gmail.com

Before picture:

After picture:
Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
guys how do i get in touch with william 9. thanks
In the tool bar just above this thread, click on "Community". You'll get a drop down menu. Click on "Members List." Go to the "W's" and scroll down to his name. You can send him an email from there.

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-28-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 AM

I picked up this King Patent without liner or lacing and William did a great job as shown in the pics. He used a liner from a vintage glove which otherwise was shot.

I agree with Mr Mitt & Vintagebrett regarding altering certain gloves or mitts, but this one had "reline me" all over it.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:08 PM
William Peebles

Brett, Deacon, thanks for the endorsement. Much appreciated.

Mr. Mitt, I am in complete agreement with you on the subject of relining certain gloves. Whenever possible I always try to repair the original material or replace using an appropriate vintage donor. In the case of Brett's glove, it was not possible to repair so it was replaced with new horsehide. The value is now in the fact that you can once again put your hand in the glove. Something that was once fragile and falling apart, now has a very nice hand feel. With Deacon's King Patent, it had zero lining and zero padding. It was simply a shell. The donor lining that was put in was vintage, though obviously not original, and restored the glove to its original appearance. If we were talking about a G41 Ruth, I would strongly caution that the value is in the stamping, not the lining. It's a case by case basis and, as a fellow collector, I always try to make a judgement with the customer that is based on the specific glove that is in need of work. If someone absolutely wants to play catch with a G41, that's up to them. I can do that.

khkco4bls, you can contact me by clicking on my name, a drop down menu with "send email to william_9" option will appear. I do vintage repairs, custom rebuilds and lots in between. This a minor element of what I do, so I will never try to push a certain approach on you.

wmpeebles@gmail.com
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

William, don't get me wrong, your work is amazing and the fact that you use vintage materials whenever possible makes a world of difference (not all glove restorers do this, unfortunately). You posed a perfect example with the G41, that's one I'd be hesitant to restore, and I think most will be in agreement, because of the possibility of diminished value. Even then, it's ultimately up to the owner. If he wants to keep it and will enjoy it more after refurbishment, go for it. On the other hand, if he only wants to restore it in hopes of realizing a higher sales price, that mentality may backfire.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default reline duck web

guys a while ago i had work done to the duck web glove because the back where your hand goes was shot and the strap was 3/4 gone. i want to replace with vintage glove parts. what are your thoughts, and i'll go with the majority. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (76.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002.jpg (73.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003.jpg (77.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1010004.jpg (79.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

In my opinion, given their rarity and value, duck-webs should not be restored in any way.

I've owned several duckies though the years and will always be in the market for them, but would not be willing to spend market value, not to mention any sort of premium, for a refurbished example.

In this case, you've had work done and if you're happy with the results, great. But you're not going to realize the glove's full potential if you ever come to sell it.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 PM
William Peebles

Mr. Mitt, no biggie. Everyone has a different perspective on the issue. It all comes down to what you like. It's a little bit restoration, a little bit preservation, and sometimes a blend of both.

khkco4bls, did you replace the button? I've never heard of a Spalding Duck web.

Finding a vintage full web as a lining donor is doable. The piping is a little trickier. Not only is it very thin, and thus very fragile, it is cut to size for each glove. You'd be looking at a splice job and the colors would most likely have to be blended using three, possibly more, donor sections. It's all possible.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default duck web

it is not a spalding it was a ratsch peerless, the button was gone when i got it . i would like to go back vintage with every thing thats been done. give idea of cost william. e mail me baseballrelics@yahoo.com. thanks by the way not a bad glove for 20 dollars.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

Deleted Post

Last edited by Mr. Mitt; 08-28-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

$20 for a duck-web is the steal of the century!!! Enjoy the refurbishment and don't worry about resale, I think you'll make a slight profit when the time comes to sell it.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default duck web

you know whats great is that i bought just outside of cooperstown years ago at an antique store.