NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Crooked Ebay Seller

I'm pretty sure this seller 123yrunvs is crooked. I believe they bid up their own items.

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-BABE-RUTH-BA...item19c5788399

"sold" on May 22

Re-sold on May 25

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-BABE-RUTH-BA...item19c5d2425c

I think they bid up their items then re-offer to the 2nd highest bidder.

And I question some of the feedback their "buyers" give...because then a few days later the same item is re-listed.

Just be wary when bidding with them. One the one hand your bound to lose on the other hand don't be too depressed, chances are they will offer it to you again.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Matt

I'm not going to comment if the item is bid up or not, but the bat is a replica doctored to look old. Its worth about $50.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
John

Matt,
Could you tell us what you see that tells you it's a replica?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Jim Murphy

Default Collins Decal

Just picked up a Collins Decal bat on ebay and it only took 10 seconds to see when I got it that the decal was a reproduction. Seller has not answered my email in 12 hours, already filed a claim
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Yeah I've seen a guy on Ebay who reproduced the decals for those old decal bats. I think he was originally selling them legitimately by saying they were not original decal bats, just old bats with decals attached. But it doesn't take long for the riff-raff to get involved.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Matt,
Could you tell us what you see that tells you it's a replica?
Hi John
The easiest thing to see is Ruth's name is not correct to the period. Heres a picture of his and one of mine. Note the differences in the G B and R
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthreplica.jpg (53.9 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg 32 Babe Ruth Bat 004.jpg (79.1 KB, 466 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Jim Murphy

Call from Ebay Seller Skylite

Dear Sirs,

The other night you purchased a Babe Ruth Glove from my ebay account. At the time I was not monitoring the account but my 18 year old son was. He listed the Babe Ruth glove as a BIN for $500.00 and you purchased the glove for that amount and paid via paypal at the same time. This was a mistake. We have recevived 7 other offer's for the glove at a much higher price than what you paid. As such we are resinding the sale and will return the paypal payment to you. So that we are fair with you, we will give you the the opportunity to buy the glove first at a discounted rate of $1,500.00. Please let me know ASAP if you accept our offer.

Of course Ebay said there is nothing you can do but leave negative feedback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BABERUTHGLOVE1.jpg (26.5 KB, 344 views)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Scott S

Sorry to hear that one, Murph. Looks like he realized after the fact that his BIN was too low.

Aside from the hideous business practices, that seller should be dinged with a negative for hideous butchering of the English language.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Sorry to hear that one, Murph. Looks like he realized after the fact that his BIN was too low.

Aside from the hideous business practices, that seller should be dinged with a negative for hideous butchering of the English language.

most likely me retelling his conversation but he was from Canada

Yes I will leave him negative feedback but it still sucks

just having a bad week on ebay

Last edited by murphusa; 06-02-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: adding
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Scott

Tough crap on the glove. Murph, YOU SHOULD be entitled to the glove at 500.00. TO my understanding, a purchase/sale constitutes a VALID CONTRACT w buyer and seller.

The fact that the seller was too stupid to check this auction BEFORE final listing (they give you a chance to "review listing" before submitting) and that his "son was monitoring" if thats even true, is NO excuse IMO.

This stinks, and tho we all make mistakes, his poor business practices could have avoided this and IMO owes Mr Murphy the glove at the LISTED and AGREED upon price.

ebay doesn't care? why am I not totally surprised?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Jim Murphy

tough part is I won't get the refund from paypal for a few days
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Dave

Was the glove really a bargain in the first place? Seems that's about what other gloves in the same style were selling for. Is it because it was a left handers glove?

Tough break either way.

I love how he was willing to sell the glove to you for three times what you originally paid for it..........in the interest of fairness.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM

murphusa,

Couldn't you sue eBay, the seller (or both) in small claims court?

I am not an attorney but it sounds like there was a valid contract in place, the seller backed out of it and eBay is standing by allowing it to happen. It seems you could sue either or both for the $1,000 dollars extra the seller now wants for the glove.

I mean, if the seller originally wanted $500 dollars for the glove, was bombarded with offers above that amount and is now willing to sell it to you for $1,500 dollars then you have lost out on that extra $1,000 dollars because of the seller reneging on the deal.

David
Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Dan Brown

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
most likely me retelling his conversation but he was from Canada

Yes I will leave him negative feedback but it still sucks

just having a bad week on ebay
I'm from Canada also, eh. I hope I will smarten up after reading all these posts.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Christopher Williams

I would leave "Negative" feedback. Ebay, in my opinion, is breaking its own rules in reference to a "Legally binding contract" which holds both the seller and buyer to that "Legally binding contract."

Leave a "Negative."
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

File a complaint for them being a nonperforming seller. It may take a phone call, but that's what I did when Historicauctions backed out of an auction I'd won. It took a bit of time for the good till closed items to finish, but they were suspended. Ebay does care, especially if the seller sells the item outside Ebay. Historicauctions were actually silly enough to put in an email sent through Ebays system that they had sold the item before it closed and didn't remove the auction. Looks like this guy is trying to sell outside Ebay, a complaint should get him a "vacation" at least.

Steve B
Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
File a complaint for them being a nonperforming seller. It may take a phone call, but that's what I did when Historicauctions backed out of an auction I'd won. It took a bit of time for the good till closed items to finish, but they were suspended. Ebay does care, especially if the seller sells the item outside Ebay. Historicauctions were actually silly enough to put in an email sent through Ebays system that they had sold the item before it closed and didn't remove the auction. Looks like this guy is trying to sell outside Ebay, a complaint should get him a "vacation" at least.

Steve B
Great advice, Steve.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Jim Murphy

He just sent an email stating he was sorry and would be sending the glove, I'll wait and see
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Jim Murphy

Default Babe Ruth Part 3

letter of the day

hi, again i am sorry about this, but someone offered me $1200 for the glove, so i am returning your $500, plus another $150, total should be $650, plus paypal fees, total i put in was $675, when they deduct the money, you should get $650 or maybe a little more, again my apoligies, .., jesse
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
letter of the day

hi, again i am sorry about this, but someone offered me $1200 for the glove, so i am returning your $500, plus another $150, total should be $650, plus paypal fees, total i put in was $675, when they deduct the money, you should get $650 or maybe a little more, again my apoligies, .., jesse
What a loser. All he wanted to do was hold out for a higher price, AFTER making a mistake. So, now he is kissing your ... with a 150.00 guilt payment? He still got 550 more net than the 500 he would have got from you.

Bottom line, he was still breaking a contract and dishonest, mistakes need to be avoided w common sense.

Sorry Jim it didn't come out better, but least you got the extra bucks.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yeah, bummer not getting the glove, but not so bad being up$150. I think if the place that backed out on me had offered 150 extra I'd have probably taken it and not gone through the hassle of reporting them. All they offered was free shipping on some sketchy overpriced autographs.

Steve B
Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 AM

That sucks, but either way you were def entitled to that glove. I will look out for the seller, appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Hank Thomas

Default What are they thinking?

It's bad enough (for bidders) and for eBay's business, I would think, that they allow sellers to pull their listing after bidding has started and make a deal offsite. I hate that, and it shouldn't be allowed, IMO. But to think they would countenance cancelling a completed transaction so the seller can make an offsite deal, that's just nuts.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I think you are mistaken if you are thinking that eBay would ever condone pulling a listing and selling the item off-site. They have wording all in their rules and regulations prohibiting such a thing. The problem is that unscrupulous sellers don't pay attention to the rules. And eBay has to allow for sellers to pull listings in which they have legitimately made a mistake, which is what unscrupulous sellers will say happened when they go to end a listing early. (There is no check box when you're ending a listing early for "I want to sell it to someone else for more money").

Ebay can't possibly investigate every item that is pulled because "there was an error in the description" to see if that is a legit excuse, but they may take action if you report the seller for trying to jack up the price on you after the fact like this. You just have to be sure and emphasize how this is costing eBay money, because that is their main concern. Stories like this are the ones that make potential new eBay users shy away from using the site, and eBay doesn't like losing money or bad publicity.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Stories like this are the ones that make potential new eBay users shy away from using the site, and eBay doesn't like losing money or bad publicity.
That's my point. eBay should make it a rare exception for a seller to end an auction early, with some process to make them show what the error was that they didn't catch before they finalized the listing. As it is now, this practice is all too routine.

You really don't think eBay knows what's going on? Of course they do, but they've clearly decided it's better to let bidders get pissed off by the practice than to piss off sellers by trying to do something about it. Sellers pay the bills, the way they must look at it.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
That's my point. eBay should make it a rare exception for a seller to end an auction early, with some process to make them show what the error was that they didn't catch before they finalized the listing. As it is now, this practice is all too routine.

You really don't think eBay knows what's going on? Of course they do, but they've clearly decided it's better to let bidders get pissed off by the practice than to piss off sellers by trying to do something about it. Sellers pay the bills, the way they must look at it.
If you report it and there's proof of refusing to complete the sale they will do something about it. I don't know if it takes a few complaints or only one serious one, but they do suspend sellers for not completing a sale. The guy I had back out sent the info in an email through their system, and when I asked if they wanted me to forward the email to them they said I didn't have to and that not only could they see it, they were looking at it while we spoke. That seller ended up being suspended and so far hasn't returned, at least under the same name.

Steve B
Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
They have to have some way for sellers to cancel a listing if they have made a gross error. And as long as there is a way to cancel a listing, unscrupulous sellers will jump through whatever series of hoops eBay has set up to do so if it means making an extra buck or two. There is no way eBay is going to hire people to sift through a bunch of claims to "show what the error was that they didn't catch." EVERYTHING with eBay is routine, as it has to be with the kind of volume of listings they are dealing with.

Also you should know that there are no eBay detectives on staff, out there hunting through the millions of listings to sniff out crooks and their dirty dealings before they have a chance to strike unfortunate buyers. There are a few instances where a company has someone on staff that will browse eBay listings looking for counterfeits or forgeries of their employers' stuff and then report those to eBay for them to act on (try selling a bootleg Disney Song of the South DVD or unlicensed KISS memorabilia and you'll see what I mean). Otherwise, you have to report bad stuff to eBay yourself for them to do anything about it (like a "citizen's arrest"). It may take several reports on the same seller, or incontrovertible evidence of the seller's guilt, but they will (sometimes) boot them. And it seems like cases like this where the seller is skating their way around eBay fees are the ones most likely to get them booted. The thing to remember is that it is much much much harder (and more expensive) to prevent or catch these things before they happen than it is to react to the situation after the fact. Just being realistic here.

Quote:
As a regular seller on eBay, I can guarantee you that they do cater more to the buyers than the sellers. Sellers do pay the bills, but if there are no buyers, nobody gets paid. Ebay knows they are the best site in town as far as general exposure, ease of access, and getting more eyes on your stuff, and they also know just how far they can push sellers without driving them away (mostly by repeatedly testing their boundaries). I would say 90-95% of the time if there is a dispute between the buyer and the seller, eBay will side with the buyer unless the seller has rock solid evidence (like a tracking number with signature, and even that isn't guaranteed).
Old 06-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Early Endings

Good points made by all. But my bottom line is still this: I've seen way too many auctions of great stuff end early to think that all but a few were done in response to errors in listings rather than to an offsite offer the seller thought he couldn't refuse. As for policing this practice, how about at least making the seller state what the error in the listing was? Is that too much to ask?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

(deleted duplicate post)

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 06-06-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Deleted duplicate post
Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
I've seen way too many auctions of great stuff end early to think that all but a few were done in response to errors in listings rather than to an offsite offer the seller thought he couldn't refuse. As for policing this practice, how about at least making the seller state what the error in the listing was? Is that too much to ask?
I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that eBay can't completely do away with a seller's ability to end a listing early for legitimate reasons. And as long as there is a way to end a listing early, there will be people who abuse it. Making the seller type out what the supposed error was won't stop crooks from ending their listings early for profit any more than having them check a box next to a generic reason (current method) does. You're not being a very good crook if you can't lie on a form question...

So I guess my point is that you shouldn't get pissed at eBay when crooks abuse their system. There are plenty of other reasons to get pissed at eBay, and I for one am glad that this is one instance where they haven't completely tied all sellers' hands in order to thwart a few crooks. They tend to do their fly-hunting with shotguns rather than chopsticks

And just to be clear, I do not have any affiliation with eBay other than the usual buying/selling. I do not end auctions early to sell an item outright, no matter how ridiculous the offer, but I have ended listings with gross errors in the description on a number of occasions. It happens. If it's a minor error, I'll add a note to the listing and double-check with the winner to be sure they still want the item, but if it's a major error, I have found that it's usually better to just go ahead and end it, fix the mistake, and let any bidders know when it will be relisted (correctly).
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Hank Thomas

Default I Love eBay...

...and like other organizations I depend on, no reason be shy about pointing out flaws as I see them and recommending fixes. I love you sellers, too, by the way, and want all of you to be very, very, happy, so you'll keep doing what you do.