NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default payment methods at card shows

I'm thinking of getting a table at a card show for the first time and am wondering what others would recommend setting up to receive payments. Cash is fine obviously, but I wouldn't prefer that if someone is buying a card for more than a couple hundred dollars. Right now all I have set up is PayPal. I would have stuff for sale from $1 up to about $2000.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Scott Russell

square reader is so simple if you have a smart phone. I use it constantly for shows and auctions.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
square reader is so simple if you have a smart phone. I use it constantly for shows and auctions.
agreed!

A square reader is the difference between only being able to make a sale for the 40 bucks in someones pocket or now opening the door to sell a 2k item to anyone with the credit limit.

Every one should have one.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

I have a friend who has Square, and the makerspace also had it for their retail space. It's pretty impressive, as it's not just a card processor, but has a lot of inventory management stuff that comes with it. You don't have to use that, but it's there. The basic thing works with a phone or tablet, and is a simple card reader. But it can be setup with a lot of optional stuff, a chip reader -Possibly a big plus, barcode scanner - maybe not so useful depending on inventory, There's a tablet stand that's pretty cool, and it also has a variety of cash drawers available.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:49 PM

Default Cash at shows

Can I ask why you’re r skittish about taking cash for purchases over 200 at shows?

Last edited by bigfish; 03-19-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Just prefer not to be robbed and figure it's more likely if there are people around who know I'm carrying hundreds of dollars in cash.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Default Got it

Makes sense I guess. There are some unsavory characters in this hobby!!!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Joshua

Would love to have people accept venmo. Its another form of pp friends and family. But really easy to use.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:24 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Makes sense I guess. There are some unsavory characters in this hobby!!!
Really? Where?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:52 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Square

What prevents chargebacks? What's to keep a buyer from saying that their credit card was stolen and fraudulently used? I've thought about using Square too, but how do you protect yourself as a seller?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:04 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
What prevents chargebacks? What's to keep a buyer from saying that their credit card was stolen and fraudulently used? I've thought about using Square too, but how do you protect yourself as a seller?
Typically if a cardholder calls in lost/stolen, the liability falls on the card issuing bank. Cardholder may only get dinged up to $50 by law and merchant has no liability (unless of course they are scamming.) That's a bigger problem if and when caught...

Also the fact that the card is swiped and a signature is obtained on a receipt or pad and now a chip being read help cover the merchant (you should compare signatures to card reader to back of card by the way) All of those help prove that the card was physically in the merchant's hands or at his/her establishment. Lessening any fraud claims...

As for chargebacks card holder has to have a valid reason for it...if its buyers remorse you may wish to refund and take item back if not damaged, swapped out etc...as good customer relations.. If they claim damage on a face to face transaction it is very tough to prove from the cardholders standpoint...Time to institute a chargeback is also limited by most credit cards and varies greatly...

Fear of chargebacks in retail environment are very low on the risk scale as compared to Mail order/phone order/internet sales...same with pin-based debit cards...

Think of it as plus business, you have something a customer wants - make it easy for them to buy it!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Thank you, sir!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For added protection, assuming you go with something mentioned in this thread, use your phone/camera to record all credit/debit card purchases. As they hold the card(s) in clear view, have each buyer look into the camera and (hopefully happily) say what they are buying and for how much, etc. That would be a nice piece of evidence to have if anyone ever tries to screw you over later. Plus, it would probably act as a deterrent to someone thinking they could pull a fast one on you.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Brendan Mullen

^^^^ completely agree
Old 03-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
For added protection, assuming you go with something mentioned in this thread, use your phone/camera to record all credit/debit card purchases. As they hold the card(s) in clear view, have each buyer look into the camera and (hopefully happily) say what they are buying and for how much, etc. That would be a nice piece of evidence to have if anyone ever tries to screw you over later. Plus, it would probably act as a deterrent to someone thinking they could pull a fast one on you.
Maybe I'm playing with fire but I'd quit the business and go get a job again before I resorted to this.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I have never scammed anyone, but there is no way I would agree to do this to make a purchase. I would probably laugh if a dealer asked and just walk away.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Cash Is King.. Always will be.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default payment methods at card shows

www.Zellepay.com

My company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.

Last edited by Big Six; 03-19-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I have never scammed anyone, but there is no way I would agree to do this to make a purchase. I would probably laugh if a dealer asked and just walk away.
+1. Agreed.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Cash Is King.. Always will be.
+1!

Regards,

Larry
Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Just prefer not to be robbed and figure it's more likely if there are people around who know I'm carrying hundreds of dollars in cash.
FWIW, "hundreds of dollars of cash" ain't what it used to be!

I don't know if I am anywhere near a typical buyer, but based on the complaints from many dealers about how slow business is, I likely have way more cash in my pocket than they do.

I only buy with cash and will have enough money to buy anything that may strike my fancy within reason.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

I've set up at shows about 10 times. I have a square reader but never used it at a show. From my experience, everyone brings cash to a show, but the square reader is free so why not have one just so you don't miss a sale.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Last few shows I attended bigger ticket items were paid by PayPal on the spot.

Seems like everyone is using Venmo these days. (Another very good reason to buy PayPal stock IMHO.)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:41 AM
Scott Russell

I use my square every show, I also have credit card placards displayed. I think it definitely attracts buyers to advertise they have options at your booth.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll be set up at the Ft. Lauderdale/Dania show next month if you're in the area.