NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default Another Wagner found-Uh Huh

Posted By: David Smith

WAGNER TOBACCO CARD IN VINTAGE BOX OF CIGARETTES !!!!!
HONUS WAGNER T206 REMARKABLE FIND INCLUDES ALL BOXES!!! Item number: 5174860303

Old 03-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 03-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I can not believe that this guy would think that anybody would fall for this one. This guy must be a dumb red neck..

Old 03-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane

haha that was good for a laugh

Old 03-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Jeter

Here is a linky poo to that T-206 Wagner. This never ceases to amaze me!

Old 03-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Well I guess the bidding will reach around $250,000 or so. (Yawn)

Old 03-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane

I asked him how a piedmont card got in that box and about the factory numbers:

Hi,thanks for the email.I just wanted to let you know that this is an american cigarette co.These cigarettes were made in Newyork City factory #7 in 1909. It is clearly marked on the cigarette box,and the stamp is an american internal rev. seal.dated August 5TH. 1909.I was told that these tobacco cards were put in several different brands of cigarettes and some with different backs,such as sweet caporal and piedmont.London life was a brand name almost 100 years ago, and as it says on the box MADE IN NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK factory #7. and that is in AMERICA. Thanks, Ronnie.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Now ask him how a modern reprint got in there. Or how the card got rounded corners.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

I was under the impression that the known Wagner cards are Sweet Caporal.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Tim - Wagner's are known with both a Sweet Caporal or a Piedmont back. Of the 50 or so known examples (possible more or less but 50 seemed a good number to say), the vast majority are Piedmont backed. I'm probably off so some correct me but I believe there are only 5 or so known Wagners with a Sweet Caporal back.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

I believe it's the other way around. Almost all Sweet Caporal backs; 2 or 3 Piedmonts.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Administrator

As far as this card goes,I think I'd better wait to bid on the more scarce Sweet Caporal.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Of course,reprint the rarest one.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: juju

edited

Old 03-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

The round corners on a card just liberated from a 100 year old pack are a nice touch. I also like the mention of "estate sale" and "flea market" in the same sentence. Always a good sign.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

nothing like a good old fashion SCAM....how dumb is this seller? yes....i know very dumb...now check out his 11 bids.......http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=5174860303 who said earlier in this post, this never ceases to amaze me???

Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Jeter

I have to admit, the High Bidder is determined to get a T-206 Wagner. It still amazes me how stupid some people can be.

Scott

Old 03-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Never Mind the Card,

The stuff they're growing in Waco, GA.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

A nascar dummy (I know, redundant) tops them all. LOL, esp. the rounded corners on the pack-fresh card. I'd like to see the rest of the cards that were in the box that covered over this gem...

Old 03-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I'm amazed at how people are willing to delude themselves to mold fiction into reality in their own minds. People want so much to believe this is "the find of the century" that they are almost willing to lie to themselves. If the seller is willing to put the slightest bit of effort into this, they are willing to bite. I see this in other aspects of life consistently as well (politics?). I just don't understand some people (maybe many). I think a large majority of the collectors on this board are realists, intellects to a degree), which may be why we have quality collections to begin with.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T.J. Schwartz

Did you read the answer to the "get it graded" question? It's hilarious! Something like. 'I think they just grade the card and not its authenticity"!!! This will make my next column in Tuff Stuff for sure! Let's see, get it graded and if real, retire.....or sell in on ebay for a grand or so. Hmmmmmmmm? What to do, what to do? TJS

Old 03-19-2005, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

email this seller and tell him he is a publicity seeking collector who has been searching for a "REMARKABLE find like this for years" and that he intends to bid over a million dollars to insure of his winning this auction. upon winning the card he will pick up "the find" at the sellers residence with a full camera crew and armed guards to really make this an event.now i know this sounds stupid and none of us would believe it,but remember the seller is an idiot scammer.i wonder how he would respond??

Old 03-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

e-mails. Hee. If I could only think of of something real good. Hmmm...that very card belonged to my grandfather, so I know you stole it and put it in that box! No, maybe not...

Old 03-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scottopotamus

For what it's worth, there's a clown on the Beckett Vintage board selling reprints as originals as well. The kicker with his cards is that he sends them away for "carbon dating" and a "research check". Oh, I almost forgot the best part...allm of his cards have been "verified" by Ebay.

I enjoy the hobby, but scam artists like this makes me wish Ebay had a "block seller" feature!

Scottoptamus
My T206 Web Site

http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus

Old 03-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

You asked:
"I would like to bid on your auction. If i win this item, which i will bid into the 5 digit amounts, I will want to pick it up in person since the amount will be so high."

Hi, on the ad and many times in the ques. I said I guarenteed the boxes but not the card.This an auction for A real dated box and a possible wagner.I even added the other 1909 box and old cigar tool.I have now been told that the 1 box is worth more than the reserve I put on it.You know if you send a card off you might not get the same one back.You and others are wanting a guarentee that I have never offered. I have email offers from people who said they know the card is not guarenteed but want to purchase the items. Ronnie

Old 03-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: alinchitown

For those intrested I and some other eBayers who collect, have a reporting blog and discussion board running to report scammers or at least keep track of them:

http://auctionwarnings.blogspot.com/

http://www.thesmackzone.com/

We welcome articles on vintage collecting and any news of scammers found.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

ended with a high bid of over 10K. that's some serious theivery

Old 03-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: alinchitown

Yeah 10K from a snipe bid. For sure the prior bid looked like a shill. I'd almost bet money that after this transaction is done that ID will be NARU.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Administrator

The seller's description and emails are much like the cut-up technique in writing (William S. Burroughs) were you cut up texts and randomly paste them back together to create different meaning and plot-- sort of creating an Alice in Wonderland.

For example:

"I WAS AT A FLEA MARKET WHERE SOMEONE WAS HOLDING AN ESTATE SALE" .... This is like saying "I was at a funeral where I had a piece of wedding cake."

or

"I CAME ACROSS A OLD SEALED TRUNK .THEY OPENED THE TRUNK" ... One would have thought the estate would have opened the trunk to see what was inside before the sale. And are trunks ever sealed?

or

He opened a sealed 1909 cigarette pack and pulled out a baseball card. He guarantees the authenticity of the pack (and the cigar box the pack was in), but not the card that was inside the pack.

It's just all rather amusing.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Or, my favorite, the picture of the London Life cigarette pack inside the cigar box. What more proof does a bidder need that the Wagner is real?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

Interesting, that he didn't make this a private auction.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Administrator

It reminds of when the scam seller of a T206 Wagner reprint (the infamous blue eyed Wagner?) said the card was discovered in an old house that was being fixed up, and the auction had a picture of "the house." It looked like someoneone drove by in downtown Detroit and snapped a shot of an abandoned house.

I wondered if the high bidder said to himself before placing the bid, "That's picture shows a house all right. The card must be real."

Speaking of houses. I don't know if this was a scam or not, but I remember a guy on eBay who said he owned Ty Cobb's old house and remodelled it. He offered on eBay Ty Cobb's glass door knobs from doors that were changed. They guy might have been on the up and up, and I would have like to own the glass door knob's to Ty's house, but there wasn't any offered proof that they were real. If those game used baseball bat experts have such trying times over bats, I don't know SCDA would go about authenticate glass door knobs.

I've long collected personinal artifacts that belonged to famous peopole. It's neat to tell a guest, "That coffee cup you are drinking out of. That belonged to Cary Grant" or "That photo on the wall. That belonged to Greta Garbo." It would have fit in perfectly to be able to say, "The bathroom you just used. The door knobs on the door belonged to Ty Cobb."