NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Default Thoughts on this Old Judge Ward please

Posted By: Scott Sarian

Hi,

I just picked up this OJ John Ward card. It has a nice image, with no creases (aside from the big ding on the left side).

The interesting aspect is that it appears "Brooklyn" was cut out from another OJ card and glued over the NY team name on the card. I am assuming this was done by a fan at the time, as Ward was on Brooklyn from 1890 - 1892.

My question - should I just leave the card alone as is, or is there anything to consider doing regarding the "Brooklyn" glued on to the front? Is this something I should think about trying to remove? I'm not necessarily considering having it graded, but just weighing the options on this one. I've never seen a situation quite like this with a vintage card.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 10-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

that's kinda cool! I wouldn't try to remove it...you'll more than likely cause more damage...as these cards cannot be soaked.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

As you can see the team name has been cut off another old judge and glued over the Ward's team name. It would be nice to get the team name off. Not sure how you do it though? Congrats!! Nice Image!!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Hello Scott,

You are correct in assuming it was applied by a collector after the issue of the card. All Ward cards were issued with him playing for New York. Pose 478-3 was issued in 1887, 1888, and 1889 with yours being an 1888 example. The Brooklyn update is hiding "N.Y's". I believe you could remove it if you wanted by gently pulling at it while locally swabbing with a wet q-tip. It's your call, the card may be more interesting as it stands. If you do remove Brooklyn, you might find that "N.Y's" has been crossed out or scratched off.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 10-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

I will probably just keep it as is. Good point as well that the "N.Y" could potentially be scratched out underneath.

I thought it was a nice card at a great price, so it'll stay as a conversation piece as to why the team name is changed on there....

Scott

Old 10-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Definately a 1/1... Some skillful, but anal retentive bloke spent some time on that cosmetic surgery. Please don't fix it! Steve F

Old 10-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I think the card is cooler as is. I would leave it, especially since removing it would not help, and probably hurt the eye-appeal of the card.
JimB

Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

Somewhere out there is an Old Judge with the Brooklyn missing from the front.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Thanks, it seems unanimous. I will keep it as is, and probably send to SGC for an "A" at some point, just to protect it as is.

I've only owned it for 24 hours, but the uniqueness of it is growing on me.

Scott

Old 10-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

I think we are all getting carried away. I wouldn't classify it as a 1 of 1...

For all we know someone did this a year ago to this card, not 117 years ago. I have this pose Ward and tons of Brooklyn cards, I could make it any day of the week.

What I would strongly suggest is that you do your best to carefully remove the Brooklyn overlay and then send it out to SGC/PSA.

If its going to be graded an AUTH either way, why not encapsulate it in its original format and preserve it as it was meant to be?