NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Fred

Default That trimmed T206 Wagner card + "Hall" collection of T206 (PSA Graded)

What impact will there be on PSA now that there's finally an official admission of guilt regarding the trimming of the PSA graded "Gretzy/McNall" T206 Wagner?

Would David Hall be the same "Hall" that was listed on the "Hall" collection of PSA graded T206 cards auctioned by SCP a few years ago? The reason I ask that is because it was suspected that those cards received very "generous" grades and it looked like there were trimmed cards in that collection.

When you start putting all of this together doesn't it paint a pretty ugly picture for PSA?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
What impact will there be on PSA now that there's finally an official admission of guilt regarding the trimming of the PSA graded "Gretzy/McNall" T206 Wagner?

Would David Hall be the same "Hall" that was listed on the "Hall" collection of PSA graded T206 cards auctioned by SCP a few years ago? The reason I ask that is because it was suspected that those cards received very "generous" grades and it looked like there were trimmed cards in that collection.

When you start putting all of this together doesn't it paint a pretty ugly picture for PSA?
I would caution anyone giving an opinion that they will need their name in their posts. Mistakes don't ever look good for anyone or any company. Some are more severe than others and it will be an interesting next few years for PSA and the hobby.

Last edited by Leon; 10-12-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

It depends on whether you're thinking long or short term. In the short term, I think all TPG will fell a bit of a pinch. Any service relies on customer confidence that that service is at least adequate for the price. And this sort of high profile admission will probably lower that confidence.

That being said, organizations that do similar things in different hobbies have faced the same sort of problem and dealt with it. Coins and stamps used to get certificates without even a picture, just an opinion about the item being genuine (I forget if the old coin ones had grades, I'm thinking they did, but it's been so long since I've seen one I can't be sure)

Then some "stuff" happened.
People figured out that a coin that wasn't quite uncirculated could be swapped for one that was nicer. With no picture on the cert it was hard to tell.
So the authenticators and others started slabbing. Some better at it than others.

In stamps basically the same thing happened. Plus one of the major authenticators had a scandal where a couple large dealers items got passed as good when they weren't. They handled it well, clearing out a load of people and invalidating some certs they assume to be bad.
And everyone began adding pictures of the item.
Some items come now with multiple certs, and because there's very little slabbing anything with an old cert is worth getting redone. (Condition can change, some faking gets figured out, even the technology changes - years ago a certain group of stamps was delisted because being sure they were real was VERY difficult. That's changed, and now they're back in the catalog and being rediscovered, some after 40+ years in an odd collecting limbo)
PSE slabbed stamps, and might still, but it's proven unpopular. And grading for stamps has had the same arguments against as TPG for cards.

The end result is a better authentication and grading service. And the services have constantly upgraded their abilities and certificates. They're also typically more trustworthy.

The stamp places take their time, and get it right nearly every time. They also make use of the category "we decline to offer an opinion" when they need to.

I think in the long run the major grading companies will be just fine. But they'll make some big changes, more than just a less tamperable case. Some of those may need to be driven by new competitors with a better method, but overall things will be better.

I have no idea on the collection or whose it was.

Steve Birmingham
PS yes, I know this is a bit too optimistic for this crowd.