NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Rich Klein

Default Largest Record Collection for Sale

Saw a different article on this man and apparently he passed on offers from other people. Now he can not even get close to the retail market value and no one seems to care.

http://vintagezen.com/zen/2013/02/20...ord-collection

Do you think this is the future for BB Cards as well.

Rich
Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Robert Klevens

That was quite depressing. What an amazing collection. I hope a buyer can be found to keep the collection intact.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Saw a different article on this man and apparently he passed on offers from other people. Now he can not even get close to the retail market value and no one seems to care.

Rich
No I don't think this is the future of BB cards. I have bought and sold records as well, you must have a rare record to get a great price. Most of the others are not that sought after, there are more available than collectors.

joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

Rich
I think it's already happened with the vast majority of post 1980 cards. I've had people ask me to help sell their collections, and I've had to tell them there's really no market for them...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Dan Bretta

I have about 4,000-5,000 records in my antique shop and I sell more of them than I do anything. They're incredibly easy to obtain at garage sales and auctions..usually you can get 100s at a time for less than $20 and most people have no clue what is rare when it comes to vinyl.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
I think it's already happened with the vast majority of post 1980 cards. I've had people ask me to help sell their collections, and I've had to tell them there's really no market for them...
So true...I recently purchased a large collection of probably close to a million cards...luckily there was enough vintage baseball and 86 Fleer basketball to double my money, but I'm still sitting on a million cards minus a few hundred. We have a local weekly consignment auction that I've been dumping about 5 to 10,000 cards a week which usually gets me a measly 20 bucks.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Matt Hall

I've been collecting vinyl since I was a kid and I've recently seen a spike in value. It seems to be making a comeback.

If someone told you they have 3 million baseball cards you might automatically assume there's probably a lot of junk in there. Same goes with records. I mean no disrespect to his collection, but 3 million of anything would be hard to unload.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned

huge collections worth millions rarely find one buyer to keep it intact. barry halper couldnt find one either. most people buy collections and split it up piecemeal to make a profit anyway. the high grade t206 set a few years back suffered the same fate. it went card by card at auction because nobody came up with the asking price for the entire set.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 AM
Barry Sloate

I have a big record collection too, but records are made to be played. Wouldn't want to buy one so expensive that I was afraid to play it. They are pretty cheap today, but I bet the supply will dry up. You need first pressings for them to be valuable. I'd rather just enjoy it and not worry about what it's worth.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 AM

I don't see a huge relation to baseball cards. There are literally millions of Beatles and Rolling Stones etc. in circulation either currently or at one time. It's hard to have a truly rare record from the height of the recording industry, which I'm sure comprises most of his collection.

It also seems foolish to insist that 3,000,000 records be purchased in one lot. Even at a dollar a record, who has the space and time to piece out that kind of collection?

Last edited by packs; 08-26-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I've been collecting vinyl since I was a kid and I've recently seen a spike in value. It seems to be making a comeback.

If someone told you they have 3 million baseball cards you might automatically assume there's probably a lot of junk in there. Same goes with records. I mean no disrespect to his collection, but 3 million of anything would be hard to unload.
Agreed. And at least you can confine 3M cards to one room if nessesary. 3M records requires a warehouse. All collectors have a focus, even if it's a broad focus. Buying 3M of anything is just wreckless abandon. How many of those have to be completely worthless and unlistenable (either in the quality of the physical record or the quality of the song writing)? Even assuming he has 100k unbelievable records, that still leaves 2.9 million pieces of junk.

Last edited by conor912; 08-26-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Barry Sloate

There's probably a business in there somewhere, but how many of those 3 million records are sellable? Sure, vintage blues, jazz, and rock albums are easy to sell and would be in high demand. But what do you do with "Learn Italian in 10 Easy Lessons", or "Alvin and the Chipmunks Sing Il Pagliacci"? Those could be hard to move.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
No I don't think this is the future of BB cards. I have bought and sold records as well, you must have a rare record to get a great price. Most of the others are not that sought after, there are more available than collectors.

joe
agreed. If you have a turntable and like listening to vinyl, best to just keep them. In Seattle there are so many used record stores that I'm surprise they stay in business - I have been able to find every single record I've ever looked for, and all were cheap. Not that I collect anything rare.

This could all change someday, as records are being pressed again and young people are getting into them. Old records might start getting collected by young folks, just as old baseball cards now are.

I still love looking through old vinyl.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I have a big record collection too, but records are made to be played. Wouldn't want to buy one so expensive that I was afraid to play it. They are pretty cheap today, but I bet the supply will dry up. You need first pressings for them to be valuable. I'd rather just enjoy it and not worry about what it's worth.
My thinking exactly. I only have one that I'm really, really careful about playing - it's probably my favorite, and it's not available except on a 1977 pressing.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
There's probably a business in there somewhere, but how many of those 3 million records are sellable? Sure, vintage blues, jazz, and rock albums are easy to sell and would be in high demand. But what do you do with "Learn Italian in 10 Easy Lessons", or "Alvin and the Chipmunks Sing Il Pagliacci"? Those could be hard to move.
Those will have to go to the Goodwill, where they can frustrate people who thought there might be a good record somewhere in the bin.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 AM
FredYoung

I have all my 45's I bought while in HS back in the early--late '50's. Kept them all as I did my cards & just about everything I had from that era.

The cards are worth some $$, but not so much the 45's. Elvis, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee on the Sun label---All seem to be plentiful on EBay & cheap!

Some of the picture jackets are worth more than the record!

Guess there are more copies of "Transfusion" by Nervous Norvus out there than '56 Topps Mantle's!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Barry Sloate

I would guess the sleeves on the 45's are worth more in many cases than the records themselves.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:43 AM
FredYoung

See my 2nd to last sentence above, Barry! LOL!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Isaac Lane

Default Heavy Plastic..

Can you imagine moving 3 million records?? I moved 3 plastic bins and they weighed about 100 lbs apiece. You would need a semi truck.

Last edited by Vol; 08-26-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
See my 2nd to last sentence above, Barry! LOL!
I did see it Fred, I was agreeing with you. I know it looked like I missed it. Everybody saved the records but often threw out the sleeves. I remember in 1964 buying a box that held 45's, and I would typically toss the sleeves because they were no longer needed. The box became the protection for the records.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLnVEGAS View Post
Can you imagine moving 3 million records?? I moved 3 plastic bins and they weighed about 100 lbs apiece. You would need a semi truck.
Yes, records weigh a ton. If I put 3 million records in my apartment, it would collapse into the basement.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM

I would have liked to have seen him using a nicer turntable, presumably with a good needle that would not damage the records rather than some old '80's thing.
JimB
Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I would have liked to have seen him using a nicer turntable, presumably with a good needle that would not damage the records rather than some old '80's thing.
JimB
http://www.elpj.com/

It's 2013! Let's use a

Last edited by 4815162342; 08-26-2013 at 03:01 PM.