NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2024, 08:39 PM
Jon@than Elw.ell

Default Crossover Experience - Old SGC to PSA

I had a few questions about crossover grades and everyone’s experience. I’ve got a handful of Delongs that were graded by SGC in the early 2000s and I’m thinking about getting them crossed over.
Before anyone jumps to the “what a waste of bleeping money” argument, I know. I just like the registry so
My concern is that I send 12 cards, put minimum grades, PSA says no to half of them and then I’ve got half and half so I’m even less happy.
Has anyone had good experience getting say a 5.5 crossed over? The cards look beautiful to me but I’ve only seen them in holders. I’m also concerned they are not perfectly rectangular, SGC says that’s allowed to certain grades, but I’m worried PSA would say Authentic if I didn’t put a minimum grade.
Anyway that’s all, interested in anyone’s experience.
Some pics below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2024, 08:46 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElwell1956 View Post
I had a few questions about crossover grades and everyone’s experience. I’ve got a handful of Delongs that were graded by SGC in the early 2000s and I’m thinking about getting them crossed over.
Before anyone jumps to the “what a waste of bleeping money” argument, I know. I just like the registry so
My concern is that I send 12 cards, put minimum grades, PSA says no to half of them and then I’ve got half and half so I’m even less happy.
Has anyone had good experience getting say a 5.5 crossed over? The cards look beautiful to me but I’ve only seen them in holders. I’m also concerned they are not perfectly rectangular, SGC says that’s allowed to certain grades, but I’m worried PSA would say Authentic if I didn’t put a minimum grade.
Anyway that’s all, interested in anyone’s experience.
Some pics below.

The cards look beautiful. My non-scientific thought is that psa grading seems to be insane at this point. An older grade psa or sgc 5.5 can get a current psa 2. Not always the case obviously.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:07 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I crack out and cross a lot of cards in both directions, PSA to SGC and SGC to PSA. If you have old cert SGC cards from the early 2000s and you're hoping to cross them over to PSA today at the same grade (and even moreso for half-grade cards), you're going to be very disappointed. If you submitted 20 old cert SGC to PSA you'd be lucky to cross even one of them now. With recently graded SGC, you'd have better luck so long as corners aren't the reason for the grade.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:43 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Crossover

I could ask TPG --can one submit a encapsulated graded card without cracking the card out--in other words let them remove the card not me?

Last edited by Directly; 02-16-2024 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I crack out and cross a lot of cards in both directions, PSA to SGC and SGC to PSA. If you have old cert SGC cards from the early 2000s and you're hoping to cross them over to PSA today at the same grade (and even moreso for half-grade cards), you're going to be very disappointed. If you submitted 20 old cert SGC to PSA you'd be lucky to cross even one of them now. With recently graded SGC, you'd have better luck so long as corners aren't the reason for the grade.
You should write a blog like Tanner’s Tan Man Baseball Fan, but call it: Upgrade-How I help baseball cards earn extra bases
Old 02-16-2024, 04:13 AM
Jim Reynolds

I’ve actually just started building this set in SGC slabs, so I’m interested to see the final results.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:53 AM
Drew W@i$e

Like snowman says, you will be disappointed.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:50 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I have found over the years especially recently SGC is killer tough on print and wax stains on the back more lenient on corners and centering. PSA is super tough on centering and sometimes doesn’t know the grain on the back of Bowmans, thinks they’re wrinkles and will knock down big. Unless head graders look at your card they know grain and paper very well on vintage it’s just getting to them to grade your card prob requires a higher value fee submission.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:09 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
I could ask TPG --can one submit a encapsulated graded card without cracking the card out--in other words let them remove the card not me?
Yes - I believe that they will (PSA at least)
Old 02-16-2024, 07:18 AM
Phil Reich

Silly questions. I have never submitted a slabbed card for a crossover, which is why I am asking.

The company will not crack the slab if they don't think the card will meet your minimum grade, correct? If that is the case, how do they evaluate the surface with the card in the slab?

Second question, if you are submitting simply to upgrade a slab - i.e. old PSA slab to new PSA slab - will they honor the old grade, even if they woul hammer the card by today's standard if submitting as raw?

Last edited by Svabinsky78; 02-16-2024 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:31 AM
Tyler Jaspan

Default Crossover

I have crossed 10 SGC Cards in old slabs over to PSA within the last year All of these cards were either SGC 5.5 (70) or SGC 6 (80). I had set the min grade crossover to a PSA 5. Of the 10, 9 crossed over and lost either a full point or a half point. I have seen in new SGC slabs that the drop is usually only a half point. This also may be due to the SGC cards I purchased having strong eye appeal. At the end of the day, its a risk, but if you know your cards are nice, and would likely hold up under stricter scrutiny, then Id say go for it.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:55 AM
Jon@than Elw.ell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svabinsky78 View Post
Silly questions. I have never submitted a slabbed card for a crossover, which is why I am asking.

The company will not crack the slab if they don't think the card will meet your minimum grade, correct? If that is the case, how do they evaluate the surface with the card in the slab?

Second question, if you are submitting simply to upgrade a slab - i.e. old PSA slab to new PSA slab - will they honor the old grade, even if they woul hammer the card by today's standard if submitting as raw?

I sent a beautiful SGC 1956 Clemente in a new slab graded 7 to PSA for a crossover and set a minimum grade of 7 (for registry) and the did not crack it, simply charged me a ton of money and returned it. Not sure how they check the surface closely enough.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:34 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I have found over the years especially recently SGC is killer tough on print and wax stains on the back more lenient on corners and centering. PSA is super tough on centering and sometimes doesn’t know the grain on the back of Bowmans, thinks they’re wrinkles and will knock down big. Unless head graders look at your card they know grain and paper very well on vintage it’s just getting to them to grade your card prob requires a higher value fee submission.
I agree on the grain on the back of Bowmans. Those are hit or miss depending on who gets your card at PSA. I've never had one get hammered for that at SGC. But PSA is definitely more lenient than SGC on centering, significantly more lenient in fact. Not just in practice, but also in their published grading standards.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:42 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

Correct. They will not crack it unless they are going to cross it over. As for the surface, they just do the best they can. If the slab is all scuffed up, they likely won't cross it because they can't tell what the surface is like. If you plan to cross a card over in its slab, you should buff out the scratches before hand with some car polish or headlight polish so they can see it better.

Quote:
It's called a 'reholder', and yes, they will honor the grade as long as the slab is not cracked or damaged. If the slab shows any damage though, they will treat the card inside as a raw card and will ignore the previous grade.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:50 AM
Tim

Quote:

The previous comments are right on, but I would add one thing. PSA seems to be exceedingly tough on crossovers - almost like they want to prove they have tougher grading standards. I have submitted a handful of crossovers, and only once did it not come back with a lower grade (and that was a 19th century card graded as a 2). One of them was so obviously undergraded that I cracked it out and resubmitted it raw, and it came back a point and a half higher. I would definitely suggest cracking them yourself and submitting raw if the grade matters to you.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:55 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It's called a 'reholder', and yes, they will honor the grade as long as the slab is not cracked or damaged. If the slab shows any damage though, they will treat the card inside as a raw card and will ignore the previous grade.
This must be a newer policy. I've submitted a handful of cracked or broken PSA slabs in the past (probably around 2018/2019), and they've always come back from PSA at the same grade.

So either I got lucky, or this is a new policy. Or maybe it's a policy that they don't always apply, because erratic application of policies seems to be one of the most endearing features when it comes to the TPGs.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 02-16-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:04 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Whatever happened to that old hobby saying, "buy the card not the holder?" If you are reasonably happy with what you have, keep them and avoid all the angst and expense of a crossover.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Jon@than Elw.ell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Whatever happened to that old hobby saying, "buy the card not the holder?" If you are reasonably happy with what you have, keep them and avoid all the angst and expense of a crossover.
I totally agree, but as I said in the original post I am interested in the registry, so the original holders don't help me much. I obviously bought the cards and not the holders in this case lol
Old 02-16-2024, 04:54 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
This must be a newer policy. I've submitted a handful of cracked or broken PSA slabs in the past (probably around 2018/2019), and they've always come back from PSA at the same grade.

So either I got lucky, or this is a new policy. Or maybe it's a policy that they don't always apply, because erratic application of policies seems to be one of the most endearing features when it comes to the TPGs.
The odds are that they will come back in the same grade if the slabs are cracked because the card probably didn't get damaged. So whatever grade you get is a reflection of how consistent they are. But they do treat damaged slabs as raw cards and have for as long as I can remember.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:53 PM
pete ullman

You must crack them and send them raw to psa. this is your only chance of a somewhat impartial result. i personally like sgc and believe they have been aeons more consistent in their grading over the years than PleaseSubmitAgain.

While Psa is being ridiculously harsh these days...I think you may be surprised at the results...maybe in a good way.

beautiful cards btw!

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-16-2024 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:37 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElwell1956 View Post
I totally agree, but as I said in the original post I am interested in the registry, so the original holders don't help me much. I obviously bought the cards and not the holders in this case lol
and then too "Anal Eddie" to enjoy them?

Some nice cards there. Can you find me a Gehrig... in any holder?