NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Ken McMillan

Default RIP Ernie Banks Mr. Cub

just read this on line and verified it on WGN ans ABC Chicago. Baseball lost a legend at the age of 83. I met him a couple of times and he was always a gentleman. Used to love it when he said "Let's Play Two". He will be missed

Kmac
Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Bill

That sucks. I met him twice at shows and he was always friendly and took time to say Hello while signing.

Life Member of Disabled American Veterans Chapter 7 Little Rock, Arkansas.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Just verified on MLB network. What a great guy , baseball has lost a great ambassador.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Ken Goldin

Oh crap
Are you kidding me?
Omg
He was the nicest player I ever dealt with. Every time I would talk to him he would ask how my mom was,he called me after my dad died , spoke to him 3 months ago and he asked how jennifer was ( my first wife the one he met). Couldn't believe he remembered her name. Made a joke when I told him I had a baby (at 48) . Would always tell me I am working to hard and enjoy life. Ugh.
Did not know he was ill. This is horrible.

Last edited by kengoldin; 01-23-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 PM

My dad spent some time as a kid in Chicago...Banks was his favorite player. Heard so many stories about him and Billy Williams growing up. Great player and great ambassador for the game. Condolences to Wrigglyville
Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Man, just earlier today I posted in the 'January Pickups' thread in the post-war section a scan of my newly acquired 1964 Topps Stand-Up Ernie Banks and I remarked how Mr. Cub added class to my collection. Wow. And now he passes away?? What a terrific human being and a terrible loss to the world.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Not many stars remained as great a gentleman as Ernie did.

We've all suffered a great loss, but...

They'll be playing two in heaven from now on...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Scott

RIP to the Great Mr. Cub. I recall a show years back in Waterbury CT when there was a fairly good snow storm. I made it there, Show was on, about 40 collectors came in. Ernie had arrived nite earlier on first night of show, and comes down and says " Hey, thanks for coming in this storm, We should play two" then he lead everyone in Take me out to the Ballgame and told a couple stories before signing. Never forgot that experience. Wonderful Classy man..
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Old 01-23-2015, 09:42 PM
K Farrell

Very sad - fly your flags at half mast - Ernie was one of a kind.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Ken McMillan

met him at Cubs camp in 2007. Had some cocktails in the photographers room listening to his stories and he asked me who my boss was. Told him my wife was my boss. He had me call her and he chatted with her for maybe 10 minutes about her being the boss. Loved that call and we still talk about it.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:46 PM
FredYoung

Last time I saw him he looked great--didn't even know he'd been sick, unless he just died suddenly from an attack or the like.

Too many of my '50's Heroes are leaving us.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Fred

Another class act has left the building... RIP Mr. Cub
Old 01-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Tony Davis

Default Mr. Cub

Let's play two!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54banks.jpg (70.5 KB, 282 views)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Ruben

Sad night indeed. RIP Mr. Cub
Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Donny Muth

Default I remember

getting Banks' autograph at a card show in Memphis while I was growing up. He got up on stage and had the whole crowd doing stretches and jumping jacks before long. It was hilarious. He'll be missed.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Kenny Cole

I hate that. Always a class act. RIP Ernie.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Rest in peace Ernie Banks.

Very sad to hear the news. I'd shook his hand as a young kid at a card show, and was lucky enough to run into him while out on a business dinner a couple years back. I didn't want to intrude, but had to at least tell him hello. Before I got a chance to allow him back to his evening, he was out of his chair and talking with me. He asked questions (what do you do? did you play ball? etc) and seemed genuinely interested in my responses. He then walked over to my table, which was full of colleagues and customers, and sat down with us. He engaged everyone at the table, talked hitting with us, saying "it's all in the wrists" while demonstrating by turning his hands over as if swinging a bat (still so quick and smooth). I doubt there will be many if any more sports stars like him. The game lost a true gentleman and ambassador.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ernie Banks and I.jpg (76.6 KB, 246 views)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Hope he is where the grass is green and they are playing two today!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:33 PM
Scott Ti3k

It's always sad a day when we lose one of the greats of the game that we all love so much. But sometimes it hits me a littler harder than others. It was almost two years ago today we lost Stan Musial and that one really hurt. Today we have lost another one of the true great men of the game with the passing of Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks. This one hurts too. Thank you Mr. Banks for being a great ambassador for the game and a great human being. Rest In Peace.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 AM

RIP Mr. Cub.

Ricky Y
Old 01-24-2015, 03:46 AM
Sean Costello

I can't add to what's already been said about Ernie, so I'll just post this. It's the only card remaining from my boyhood collecting:

scan0001.jpg
Old 01-24-2015, 05:20 AM
Barry Sloate

I was at a card show, probably in the late 80's, when Ernie Banks walked towards me and initiated a conversation. He asked me how I was doing and how the show was. I hadn't even said a word to him! That was a special moment.

Great ballplayer, and a really good soul. RIP.

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-24-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Bill Gregory

I got the above card a few months ago after having a talk with my dad about Ernie. He grew up in Chicago, and saw him play at Wrigley Field about fifty times. He was a Banks fan, but his favorite team was the Braves, and he would see them whenever they came in town. Well, I wanted to get something immediately, though I wasn't ready to spend a lot of money on his rookie just yet. But it didn't matter, and he didn't care about PSA, or book value. When it came in, he must have looked at the card for twenty minutes. He really enjoyed it. It's a 1968 Topps, near the end of his career. But I thought it was a great picture. Ernie with his big smile, and the bat that he used to maul baseballs onto Sheffield and Waveland Avenues. And we talked some more about Ernie. We talked about a few games he saw with the Pirates against the Cubs.

Just a few minutes ago, while talking with him about Banks, he told me about one game he saw in particular on May 15, 1960. Two days after Don Cardwell was traded by the Phillies to the Cubs, he no hit the St. Louis Cardinals at Wrigley Field. I just saw the last two innings of that game are on You Tube, so we're going to watch them together tonight when we get together. What a game to catch, though. The Cubs had just acquired Richie Ashburn, so he was leading off for Chicago. Of course, Ernie Banks hit a home run, #7 on the season, #235 in his career. The Cardinals had Curt Flood in center field, Ken Boyer at third base, and Stan Musial, who had the day off, pinch hit in the eighth inning. That's a lot of Hall of Famers on those two teams-Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Ernie Banks, Richie Ashburn, Billy Williams and Ron Santo. You have to wonder if Curt Flood didn't cost himself a chance at Cooperstown, too, by fighting the trade to Philadelphia. Of course, as is only fitting with an Ernie Banks discussion, the no hitter came in the second game of a doubleheader. The Cards won the first game on a pair of home runs by Ken Boyer.

When he told me last night that Ernie had died, I was shocked. Like some of you guys, I didn't know he was sick. It's the hardest I've ever seen my dad take the death of an athlete.

Ernie was one of a kind. He was one of a few players in my lifetime who have ever truly embodied the spirit of baseball, and everything that was good, and decent, and gentlemanly about sport. Ernie Banks was to the Major Leagues what the great Buck O'Neil was to the Negro Leagues- a goodwill ambassador par excellence. And as much love as the good people of Chicago gave to him, he gave back, and more.

So, I am greatly saddened this morning. But, at the same time, I can't help but smile a little now, too. Because Ernie has earned his rest, and now he can play two every day if he wants.

"Ernie with a deep drive to left field...it might be...hey hey hey!!!!!"

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default We will miss you Ernie...

I grew up a Yankee fan. My Dad was a Tiger fan. We lived and breathed baseball in the 60s. But we both agreed that Ernie Banks was one of the best players we ever saw.

Ernie died last night. So did my dad. In my mind heaven received two Hall of Famers.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad & Bernie.jpg (56.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 01-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Barry Arnold

Default ernie banks

I loved watching him play when I was a kid. He was truly one of the greats.
my condolences to family,friends and fans.

Barry
Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Kenny Cole

Joe,

I am so sorry for your loss. My dad died August 1 of last year. I think about him every day. My prayers go out to you and your family. Best,

Kenny
Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Lance

Default You will be missed MR. CUB

Got the news this morning, I'm truly grateful for all that he did for Baseball and the Cubs. It is an honor super collecting his different items. These post are a reminder of why I picked him to make my PC based. You will be truly missed but we will celebrate and never forget the tremendous achievements you made. "Lets play two"

Check out my thread if you like photos viewing.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/v...c-pickups.html
Old 01-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Droulliard and Banks

Joe
Prayers and blessings go to you during your grief period.
It's so sad to lose our heroes.

Many of us on the board are getting to that time when we lose our family, friends and sports heroes as time catches up with them.

Maybe we should live like our own heroes did.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM

RIP Mr. Cub. One of my favorite signed cards in my collection.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Brian Macdonald

Ernie Banks 1954 Topps rookie card is one if the nicest cards ever made

He looks like the embodiment of an excited and thrilled rookie in that image
Old 01-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Bruce Babcock

One of the very first cards I ever owned was a 1956 Topps Ernie Banks. It came in a shoe box collection of about 400 cards that my mom bought at a church rummage sale for 10 cents. Ernie was one of the best people to ever play the game. A sad day.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:23 PM

Default "Mr. Cub" will be greatly missed

Ernie Banks, "Mr. Cub", will be greatly missed.
img013.jpg
Old 01-25-2015, 07:17 AM

Default Not Just Mr. Cub

To me, he was "Mr. Baseball"....If you wanted a team with all the attributes of one player, on and off the field, there would be no better choice than Ernie Banks
that's why to me he's "Mr. Baseball"
Old 01-25-2015, 07:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
I grew up a Yankee fan. My Dad was a Tiger fan. We lived and breathed baseball in the 60s. But we both agreed that Ernie Banks was one of the best players we ever saw.

Ernie died last night. So did my dad. In my mind heaven received two Hall of Famers.

Joe
My heartfelt condolences, Joe. May your dad rest in peace.

And may Mr.Cub rest in peace too.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Bill Gregory

Joe,

I am very sorry to read of your father's passing. It sounds like the two of you shared a lot of great baseball memories together. May the recollection of those happier times help ease your pain.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family during this very difficult time.

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Val Kehl

Here's the link to a really good read about Banks by Tom Boswell, the dean of Washington, DC, sports writers, that appears in today's Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...cb4_story.html
Old 01-25-2015, 05:46 PM

Great column, Val. Thanks.

Nice to see you at the D.C. meet-up the other night.

Mark
Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Chicago will host a public tribute Wednesday at Daley Plaza. Am guessing noonish but will update as I learn more. Also presuming many Cubs greats will share in the tribute. Happy to meet up and go for a beer after. Or in honor of Ernie, might get two! Message me if interested.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Default RIP To Mr. Cub

I met Ernie Banks back in 1968 in an elevator at the Hilton Hotel in Pittsburgh. My Dad took us to a weekend game during the summer. I'll never forget what a kind gentleman Ernie Banks was. I have his autograph around somewhere.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

The Ernie Banks statue, having been "in the shop" for repairs, has been moved to downtown Chicago's Daley Plaza. Has been a great gathering place for fans. One gentleman dropped off a KC Monarchs ballcap, many brought flowers, and tonight I'll figure out which of my Ernie Banks baseball cards to part with.

crop.jpg

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
The Ernie Banks statue, having been "in the shop" for repairs, has been moved to downtown Chicago's Daley Plaza. Has been a great gathering place for fans. One gentleman dropped off a KC Monarchs ballcap, many brought flowers, and tonight I'll figure out which of my Ernie Banks baseball cards to part with.

Attachment 177014
thanks for sharing
Old 01-29-2015, 12:36 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Spent the evening making this framed 3D collage to donate to the Banks memorial. Hard to part with my 1956 Jet magazine...I sure hope the Cubs don't throw all this stuff out at the end.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:17 AM
Tim

Default Thanks.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Here's the link to a really good read about Banks by Tom Boswell, the dean of Washington, DC, sports writers, that appears in today's Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...cb4_story.html
A very fine article.........much appreciated.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Mission accomplished!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Mission accomplished!
Nice gesture on your part. Reminds me of when Musial died here in the Lou.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Mike C@.v3

Looks great, Jason...it's refreshing to know we have guys like you on net54.

RIP Ernie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48