NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Isaac Lane

Default I am easily confused

Can you please explain the bidding rules and how this auction ends?
Wonderful cards
Thank you

Last edited by Vol; 01-02-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I have to say that Saco's website is so bad that it's almost a parody of a bad website.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:23 PM
De@n Fl!ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I have to say that Saco's website is so bad that it's almost a parody of a bad website.
+1

Beautiful cards and some many t206s, but they make it a challenge to find what i'm looking for.

Well, that may help when I bid, since others will struggle too.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Wow...just wow. I wish my grandfather smoked and saved stuff!!
Well, I am 66 and my grandfathers were born in 1894 and 1900 respectively. They were pretty young to be smoking in 1909 to 1911. On the other hand I wish my great grandfathers had smoked and saved that stuff for me!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default T206

I had a cousin in the 70s that used to smoke and he also saved some stuff for me
Old 01-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
I had a cousin in the 70s that used to smoke and he also saved some stuff for me
I don't think they put premiums like baseball cards in the stuff that was smoked in the seventies..
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol View Post
Can you please explain the bidding rules and how this auction ends?
Wonderful cards
Thank you
Hello, this is a live auction meaning it will start at 5PM on January 14. We will have a live audience in the hall, phone bidding, absentee bidding and live internet bidding. This is not a timed auction. We sell about 90-100 lots per hour depending on how active the bidding is. We expect to run about 4 hours that night.

Troy
Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCollector View Post
+1

Beautiful cards and some many t206s, but they make it a challenge to find what i'm looking for.

Well, that may help when I bid, since others will struggle too.
Hi, I agree that our website is less than good. It is dated and in the process of being completely redesigned, which is why I supplied the links to the catalogs online. On each of those sites the information is correct and clear. Bear with us in regards to the website. There will be a new one soon.

Troy
Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

The cards are great, but the cool factor (IMO) is the Old Judge glass negatives, which will be way out of my league. And for you Flynn and Matthews collectors out there (among others), there are probably a couple items you don't have.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 AM
P.hil €lli$

Troy,

Can you explain how the ending of each lot goes down if there is internet and live bidding?

Are the internet bids closed before the live, in-person begins?

Thinking about taking a drive up to Maine for the evening.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Troy,

Can you explain how the ending of each lot goes down if there is internet and live bidding?

Are the internet bids closed before the live, in-person begins?

Thinking about taking a drive up to Maine for the evening.

Thanks,
Phil
Hi Phil, the internet bidders bid live during the sale of the lot in real time with the auctioneer. We have internet clerks sitting at each module and they are receiving the bids from remote buyers in real time and yelling the bids out to the auctioneer who accepts them. So Internet bidders, phone bidders, live bidders in the hall all compete against each other in concert and in real time. On average each lot will be open for live bidding for about 1 minute or so while all bids are called by the auctioneer. Once there is no further advance on the bidding the auctioneer sells the lot and we move on to the next lot number.

Troy
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 AM
De@n Fl!ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco River Auction View Post
Hello, this is a live auction meaning it will start at 5PM on January 14. We will have a live audience in the hall, phone bidding, absentee bidding and live internet bidding. This is not a timed auction. We sell about 90-100 lots per hour depending on how active the bidding is. We expect to run about 4 hours that night.

Troy
Sounds like a road trip for me.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCollector View Post
Sounds like a road trip for me.
Great it will be good to meet you. We provide free pizza and drinks for everyone during the sale. It should be a great night.

Troy
Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 AM
P.hil €lli$

Hi Troy,

Another question about your on-line auction. I'm on liveauctioneers.com.

There are a few cards that have 3 bids already, but it doesn't show what the highest bid is right now. For instance, there is a card that shows "Opening Bid: $50" & "3 Bids".

But, it doesn't show what the highest bid is right now.

How/when do you know what the highest bid is?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Hi Phil,

When you register and go into the catalog it will show a button which will have a dollar amount to place your bid. That is where the bidding is at. So if a lot opened at 50 and shows 3 bids it could be as little as $80 or much higher if they bid like crazy.

Troy
Old 01-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Eric Pugh

Default maybe it's just me, but

I can't figure the dang thing out.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Trae Regan

As I understand it for the website Phil, you're placing an absentee max bid and then when the lot you bid on comes up in the live auction your bid will be gradually increased by the increments outlined on the website until no other bids come in and/or you reach your max bid, or get outbid.

Last edited by T206.org; 01-08-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Hi Troy,

Another question about your on-line auction. I'm on liveauctioneers.com.

There are a few cards that have 3 bids already, but it doesn't show what the highest bid is right now. For instance, there is a card that shows "Opening Bid: $50" & "3 Bids".

But, it doesn't show what the highest bid is right now.

How/when do you know what the highest bid is?

Thanks,
Phil
You're basically just throwing out a number that you want to bid. It could be way too high or way too low, doesn't seem like there's any way to tell. I tried to bid on cards that had zero bids and then just threw out what I'd be willing to pay. I'm pretty sure that none of my bids will hold up on the day of the auction. It sounds like this is one auction that is better to do in person.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM
P.hil €lli$

OK, I thought it was just me too!

So, you won't know where the bidding is at until the actual lot comes up to bid?

I was hoping I could tell current bidding before I decided whether I wanted to take a 2.5 hour drive.

In person sounds like the best option.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Quote:
You're basically just throwing out a number that you want to bid. It could be way too high or way too low, doesn't seem like there's any way to tell. I tried to bid on cards that had zero bids and then just threw out what I'd be willing to pay. I'm pretty sure that none of my bids will hold up on the day of the auction. It sounds like this is one auction that is better to do in person.
Gentleman,
I apologize for any and all confusion. Online bidding seems foreign to many of you and I realize that many sports auctions are of the timed variety which may be causing the confusion. To simplify it as best as I can please take advantage of phone bidding live with one of my employees. This way you can hear the auctioneer and the employee guide you through the active live bidding.
Placing maximum absentee bids prior to the auction online is a way for people to place lot of bids and leave. If you actually want to watch the item live and follow along, don't place any bids prior to the sale. When the lot opens you will quickly see what the bid amount is and what the next bid is by increment. If any of you would like to register for a phone bid please select which items you want (by lot #) and call 207-650-5677

Troy
Old 01-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco River Auction View Post
Gentleman,
I apologize for any and all confusion. Online bidding seems foreign to many of you and I realize that many sports auctions are of the timed variety which may be causing the confusion. To simplify it as best as I can please take advantage of phone bidding live with one of my employees. This way you can hear the auctioneer and the employee guide you through the active live bidding.
Placing maximum absentee bids prior to the auction online is a way for people to place lot of bids and leave. If you actually want to watch the item live and follow along, don't place any bids prior to the sale. When the lot opens you will quickly see what the bid amount is and what the next bid is by increment. If any of you would like to register for a phone bid please select which items you want (by lot #) and call 207-650-5677

Troy
I am extremely familiar with bidding in on-line auctions. This really isn't an on-line auction. It's a live auction that you've attached a web-site to.

An on-line auction (REA, B&L, Sterling, LOTG, Huggins, Goodwin, etc) has a definative opening and closing period, during which you may choose to bid on an item based on where the current bidding $$ is at. On your on-line site, there's no way to know where the price point is on a particular item until that item comes up on the block at the live auction.

I suppose the on-line portion will work fine as long as we are available while the actual auction is taking place.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.

Last edited by wolf441; 01-08-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Quote:
I am extremely familiar with bidding in on-line auctions. This really isn't an on-line auction. It's a live auction that you've attached a web-site to.

An on-line auction (REA, B&L, Sterling, LOTG, Huggins, Goodwin, etc) has a definative opening and closing period, during which you may choose to bid on an item based on where the current bidding $$ is at. On your on-line site, there's no way to know where the price point is on a particular item until that item comes up on the block at the live auction.

I suppose the on-line portion will work fine as long as we are available while the actual auction is taking place.
So on proxibid.com you can see exactly what you were referring to about being able to see where the bid is at prior to the sale starting.

Proxibid
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Trae Regan

I thought the auction went very well. I won 3 of the 4 lots I bid on, and the Proxibid setup was neat to be able to follow along. I was impressed at how quickly each lot went. Nicely done, Troy and team!

When will the remaining lots be auctioned, and is there a preview available?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 PM

I won my first Tris Speaker. Pretty excited
Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Very fun auction, enjoyed the individual lot bidding.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Isaac Lane

Default Saco

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Very fun auction, enjoyed the individual lot bidding.
I agree. That was a fun auction with many beautiful cards.

Ready now for the 2nd installment.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 PM

Default Picked up one T206

I was shocked to have picked up one of the later lots in the auction. I had logged off watching after seeing the strong prices figuring I didn't have a chance.

Pleasantly surprised!

Patrick
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I got almost completely skunked. Ended up with the Jim Thorpe signed moccasin.

Don't laugh. I find it quite unique.

Tom C
Old 01-15-2015, 05:57 AM
Bi11..R0berts

I agree nicely done Troy. I bid via phone on 6 lots - acquired two of the six. The phone bidding assistants were awesome, thanks Sean and RaeLyn!

I was told that there will be two more auctions related to the hoard. Last night there were about 500 T206's auctioned, so I'd assume the next two will have about the same number of T206's

There were some really beautiful examples sold last night. Wondering if anyone saw anything that surprised them such as a card going for much less or much more than expected.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty

Last edited by brob28; 01-15-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:57 AM
Kenny

I didn't sign up for the auction and cant see the results. Could someone please tell me what lot 8 Zach Wheat brought?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:59 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdixon View Post
I didn't sign up for the auction and cant see the results. Could someone please tell me what lot 8 Zach Wheat brought?
it went for $325 plus 15% fee.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 AM
Kenny

Thanks brob28.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Bi11..R0berts

My pleasure, seemed like a pretty fair price to me, but that said I did no price research on that card.

Last edited by brob28; 01-15-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:41 AM

Whoops... Thought the auction was the 15th LOL
Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdixon View Post
I didn't sign up for the auction and cant see the results.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=90363#Top
Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Two bidders won a heck of a lot of lots yesterday. p****e won 40 and s****3 won 29 by my quick count. It will be interesting to see if any of the cards show up anywhere. P****e won several raw lots of 10.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:16 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

That T206 with the Tolstoi back printed over a Piedmont back surprised me. It believe it went for close to $5k with the sauce. I thought maybe $3k tops. I understand that you don't see something like that very often, if at all, but my goodness that's a lot of money.

Tom C
Old 01-15-2015, 08:41 AM
Eric Pugh

Default next round of this hoard?

when will round 2 auction be? thx
Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Default Staying in Saco, Maine

Just went across town to pickup my winning bid from last night.

Left a marker bid and ended up winning this T206 Jim Stephens.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STEPHENST206.jpg (47.4 KB, 333 views)
Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Dave H@rford

Default Shut Out

Was shut out of all 8 that I was bidding on (both online prior and in the online live auction).

As with Tom above, I was shocked at the Elberfeld fielding Piedmont/Tolstoi back double print at $5k (nearly $6k total). the bidding had stalled about $3500 and I thought it would end there.
Also was shocked that the Joe Doyle EPDG SGC 4.5 hit $800 (over $900 total)!! Someone must be working on a back run.

Dave
Old 01-15-2015, 09:43 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Bummer, I for some reason thought this auction was happening later this month.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Bry@n

I think the EPDG Doyle is a tougher card than is generally ackowledged. I may be wrong on this but the sales history on that one is pretty sparse.

My favorite in the auction, aside from Elberfeld, was the EPDG Lundgren - that card is a beauty, congrats to whomever got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post
Was shut out of all 8 that I was bidding on (both online prior and in the online live auction).

As with Tom above, I was shocked at the Elberfeld fielding Piedmont/Tolstoi back double print at $5k (nearly $6k total). the bidding had stalled about $3500 and I thought it would end there.
Also was shocked that the Joe Doyle EPDG SGC 4.5 hit $800 (over $900 total)!! Someone must be working on a back run.

Dave
Old 01-15-2015, 09:56 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I think the EPDG Doyle is a tougher card than is generally ackowledged. I may be wrong on this but the sales history on that one is pretty sparse.

My favorite in the auction, aside from Elberfeld, was the EPDG Lundgren - that card is a beauty, congrats to whomever got it!
I was in on the Lundgren for quite a while but, like most everything else in this auction, it went beyond my expectations.

Tom C
Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Yeah I was surprised, there were quite a lot of EPDG's for sale. This guy must have really enjoyed smoking EPDG's back in the day.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:03 AM
P.hil €lli$

I thought the prices were quite strong for the T206s, especially in the first half of the auction.

While the cards were in very nice shape, I think the strong prices were due to the backs (mostly EPDG). I am not a back collector, so I wasn't interested in paying a premium for that back.

There were 12 cards that I was interested in and I was considering making a 2.5 road trip up to the live auction. It's real tough for me to spend 5 hours on the road during the work week, so I decided to stay home and watch it.

I only bid on 2 of the 12 during the live part of the auction......didn't win either one. Of the 12 that I was interested in, 7 of them blew my initial valuation out of the water.

How about that Titus? $ 950 before the juice

I think there were some decent deals (or at least going market prices) towards the end of the auction.

Did anyone here go in person? How was the live venue?

Wondering when the next batch will be auctioned?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Leon Webb Postcard Lot

Does anyone know why the Leon Webb RPPC lot went for 1500+?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I think there were some decent deals (or at least going market prices) towards the end of the auction.

funny how decent deals means 'going market prices'....so its a good deal to get market price? haha...

well perhaps the new market price is higher than the old market price..so maybe you mean to say 'going for what is the now past market price' and now worth more...
Old 01-15-2015, 12:28 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Does anyone know why the Leon Webb RPPC lot went for 1500+?
It has a postcard of a Goldsboro player which is unchecklisted in the T209 set. Wolf. Same background and pose as a couple of other postcards that have turned up of the T209 players.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Jason Stricker

I followed along the first half of the auction and thought the prices were quite strong for most lots. EPDG doesn't do anything for me, but still neat to see such a large groups in great condition. I followed the auction on Live Auctioneers, which I've used to purchase items in the past. Looking forward to the next round...
Old 01-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Jason Wells

The Leon Webb lot was very cool. The Wolf postcard is a great piece. Here is his Red Border for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.JPG (57.3 KB, 290 views)