NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default The Dreaded W.O.B.

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Typically "writing on back" indicates a card which is considered undesirable by most, perhaps to be use as a "filler" until something better comes along. And we all know what grading companies think about such things. Similarly, "postally used" is considered a negative by most.

In my view, writing on the back can sometimes actually be a plus. For example, an N172 with legendary collector Buck Barker's handwriting on the otherwise blank back may command a premium price.

Here is another example. This Rose postcard was clearly owned by a true baseball fan, who wrote a note which actually refers to the player depicted, and then mailed it to another fan.

To me, this makes the card more interesting and valuable, although not as expensive, as the same card with a pristine back. Does anyone else have any favorite cards, postcards or otherwise, with W.O.B?

Old 12-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

If I'm reading the card correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong.
Is this fan talking about a second baseman for the NY Giants?
If he is, I find this very interesting.
He also doesn't know his Doyles.
That's Slow Joe Doyle, .... a pitcher.
Larry is the second baseman.

Thanks for sharing,
Joe

Old 12-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Although I don't have a scan to share, one of the former owners of my E107 Christy Mathewson was kind enough to write "E-107" on the back of the card, along the top border. I actually find it kind of comical that someone would choose to write this information on the back of a card. Maybe they were afraid that they would forget which set it was from?

Old 12-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

The picture might be Joe Doyle[might not] but since Larry Doyle is the only one who played for the Giants and the card says NL its safe to assume that its supposed to be Larry Doyle on the card.Joe Doyle played for the Highlanders and briefly for the Reds,he never played for the Giants.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

For me, a nice vintage letter with stamp and postmark raises the desirability of an old time postcard. This is particularly true when the letter talks about the subject on the front ... A practical advantage is that a vintage stamp and postmarks help's prove the age

I once removed four 1800s greeting cards from a Victorian scrapbook. The backs showed the over hundred years hidden loving birthday greetings from a little girl named Anne to her imaginary friends. I bought the scrapbook because it had the a near set of the Spalding die-cuts, but Anne's birthday cards were the only items I never sold.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Postcard of 1907 team with George Wilson, one of the best Negro players of the game. The handwritten note on the front gives a clear indication of just why Wilson was not allowed in the Major Leagues - "How you like these? The chocolate chip beats them all. July 3/ 07."

Old 12-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

That is Slow Joe Doyle.
I know my Doyle's.
I've been a Doyle aficionado since 1987.
Lipset will verify that.
What Bruce has is an error Rose Postcard.
Joe's photo with Larry's NY Giants information.
Now with the T206 hands over head pitching pose of NY Highlanders Slow Joe Doyle, they made the mistake that it was another pose of the NY Giants Larry Doyle, so they entered the wrong League (Nat'l) on the card.
That error was caught right away, the press was stopped and the (Nat'l)was removed.
Thus the scarcity of the error.

I wonder if there is a Doyle correction in the Rose set.

Joe

Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I wasnt saying that you were right or wrong Joe,i was just saying its an easy mistake for the sender of the postcard to make since Joe Doyle never played for the Giants and Larry did. It couldve been that the person pictured on the card was supposed to be Larry OR it was really supposed to be a card of Joe and they just put the wrong league designation

The years the rose postcards were made Joe Doyle was little more than a part-time pitcher for a 2nd division team and Larry Doyle was a .300 hitter for a very good team[and i dont know alot about rose postcards so correct me if im wrong] so if theres only 1 of them in the set it was probably supposed to be Larry

Old 12-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

1909 Uncataloged Rose Co Postcard Bill Abstein Pittsburgh

I recently sold this Bill Abstein card but I thought that the back was very interesting and gives you a real flavour for baseball in the early 1900’s.

The back reads "Sorry this isn’t (Hans) Wagner or (Dots) Miller but will watch for them. Pgh (Pittsburgh) is picking up again so is Chicago, but we’ll hope for the best. Looks like rain today but hope not on account of the game."

Signed JC.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Right on Joe P. Thats not Laughing Larry..As for the writing? It is charming and would not prevent me from purchasing and enjoying this gem...

Old 12-22-2004, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

If the card is a PC or exhibit, and I will gladly pay a small fraction of the mint price to do so. I almost look at a postally used card from the era as having better provenance than an unused one.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

For autograph collectors, a postmarked and stamped postcard is highly desirable. While the postmark isn't a handwriting expert, it gives a date to the writing. A collector may not be a Babe Ruth signature expert, but that the writing on the postcard can be dated to May 1939, and not May 1999, should be of obvious significance and comfort.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Ok, so my fan wasn't as knowledgeable as he might have been! I confused my Doyles as well. I've enjoyed all of these posts and scans.