NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default Accuracy of Mastro Grading???

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I was looking at the Mastro auction and was wondering how accurate their grading was for cards that are not graded? When they state that a card is EX is it really or is more hype to bid the lot up even more?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred (Fred)

MastroNet does a fairly reliable job of grading. The only issue I have is that some blank back cards have descriptions that state that the grades indicated don't take the back damage (writing, glue, tape or other adhesives) into consideration. My only request is that they supply back scans on the web site of these cards. In some instances they have, in others they have not.

All in all MastroNet will be happy to send the back scans upon request (within a reasonable amount of time before the closing day). Just don't make the request on the last day of the auction or on the second to the last day if the item in question closes on the second day.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I bought a lot in May from Mastro with 103 raw cards and 36 cards SGC 80+. 32% fewer Ex and better than advertised (said 88, I got 60 from SGC); 138% more Vg/Ex than advertised (said 8; I got 19 from SGC); 143% more VG or lower than advertised (said 7; I got 17 from SGC). SGC also refused to holder four cards.

Granted, this is a single lot & very small sample size. That being said, any collector could have seen the 15+ cards in the lot with significant issues. I find it amazing their own submission of 36 cards to SGC was spot on, yet their grading of the raw lot left so much to be desired...

Based on my experience, I would expect 1 grade less in total than advertised on the raw cards.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 11-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Seriously . . . look at some of the cards that are advertised for sale raw here as well and you will find the same issues.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 11-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred (Fred)

Julie,

You know the saying "buy the card, not the......"

David,

Absolutely right, this happens anywhere and everywhere.

Everyone has different standards. The people most disappointed are those that have very strict standards.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think any auction house that handles the sheer volume of material they do has to at some point find a way to expedite the writing up of auction descriptions. I implicitly believe that they have every intention of grading their material carefully and accurately, but my guess is they are completely overwhelmed by the number of cards in any of their auctions. I commend them for the trouble they go to when they accept raw consignments and have them graded at their own expense; likewise, I do wonder when I see a raw card why it wasn't submitted. That is the one gray area that always concerns me. In any auction it's always best to view material in person if possible, but for most people that's just not practical.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Often with sets (more modern stuff - like 50s or 60s), they'll have 8-10 cards graded, and the rest ungraded. They'll have the 8-10 graded cards pictured in their lot, but none of the ungraded stuff. I wonder if that is the way to get maximum value for sets.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It's a great way to market the set by having the best ones graded, because those are the ones that will go in the picture and a good picture will help sell the lot.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I appreciate everyones response on the matter. I have never won a Mastro auction much less put thought into bidding on one. I was just tying to get some information to add into some other prices that I came up to determine a bid amount without having alot of buyers remorse if I did win the auction and it not being what I expected.