NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Default O/T Oklahoma vs. Boise

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Has nothing to do with cards but I will tell you that was one of the best football games that have ever seen. It had everything and still amazed that Boise pulled it off with some trickery at the end.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That might have been the most amazing game I have ever seen...right up there with the Houston/Notre Dame Cotton Bowl in '79.....which I was at..

Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rob fouch

I'm a WVU fan -- exciting win in the Gator Bowl -- but I was jumping up and down in my living room with every play Boise made. Those calls -- the fourth-down pass, going for 2 to win it -- took some MAJOR cojones. Incredible game. I love it when the little guy wins one.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Bring on Ohio State

Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Administrator

I am the biggest Buckeye fan in California but Boise or Oklahoma are not in their class this year. I think USC could take them but not these teams.

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

It was indeed a great game. We get to see these guys in the WAC conference down here in San Jose (vs SJ State)every year and it was not a suprise at how explosive the Broncos can be...they've been doing it for years. It's nice that they finally got some well deserved national recognition.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys Yeakley

As the only forum member who lives in Boise (along with my brother Rhett who moved away a few years ago to go to Dental School), I watched every single game that Boise State played this year. They killed Oregon State who beat USC and will finish in the top 20, they easily beat Hawaii who is a top 25 team, beat 3 other bowl teams with ease, and then beat potentially the best team in the country.

I almost threw up after the interception in the fourth quarter, but for the first time in my life MY TEAM actually won a big game and it was HANDS DOWN the BEST Football game I have ever seen. My family knows several of the BSU players and it is the best thing to happen to the city in a loooooong time.

I cant wait to listen to all the detractors who discounted Boise all season long and listen to what they have to say on Sports Radio and ESPN.

If anyone wants a T-Shirt, send me an e mail.

Rhys Yeakley

Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I was down in the dumps about my Hogs' loss to Wisconsin today (thanks to another stellar coaching performance by Houston "Squirrel" Nutt) but I give a shout out to Boise State, a great comeback at the end and best of all I won't have to listen to the boorish and obnoxious OU fans who live across the State line. They've been talking trash ever since mid-season and lost to the only solid team they played, Texas, who had an off season. The Big 12 was down this year and this was not one of the better OU teams. Still, give credit to Boise for hanging tough. You go Broncs!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Watching after the interception with a minute plus remaining, the cameras went to Zabranski as he stood on the sideline....I kept waiting for the hand through the hair, rolling of the eyes, players coming up to tell him it was ok........and generally looking sick at what might have cost his team the bowl. And he just stood there, staring calmly outward, not seeking support or commiseration, focussed. I couldn't believe it, I thought, this guy, this guy is something else. And then he goes out, wham wham wham, lateral, TOUCHDOWN!
May have been the most composed generalship in the face of disaster I've ever seen. Go Broncos!!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Amazing game - definitely one of the best Ive seen and easily the best final 5 minutes of any game I can recall.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

for my Louisville Cardinals tonite........one field goal away from maybe playing against Ohio State but que sera sear. Wake will be tougher than the point spread (Louisville favored by about 9-10). Sorry Tbob....watched that game and thought about you. I was pulling for our West Virginia brethren out there. Big East is 3-0 with possibility of 5-0.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

Luckily my daughter decided staying up late was a good idea last night so I was lucky enough to catch the fourth quarter and can say it was the best quarter of football I have ever seen! I think I saw that the star Boise RB proposed to his girlfriend afterwards (cheerleader), maybe I was mistaken.

Oh and sooooo sorry about the Razerbacks Bob! I live just outside of Madison and am an alumn so was VERY happy to see them win. Not a pretty offensive game, but defensively it was good. GO BUCKY!

Football team - 12-1
Basketball team - 14-1

Good year to be a Badger fan!

Happy New Year all!

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

I'm with you guys; that was a really exciting game between Boise State and OU. However, to me the biggest surprise was how bad OUs defense is. They play very soft and their defensive backs don't tackle well. Hardly the OU football I am used to watching. And what's with the BSU players covering their bodies with tatoos? Do they have discount tatoo parlors in Idaho?

Great Wisconsin victory yesterday over a very good Arkansas team. I think they could end up the season ranked ahead of Michigan which would be great for the program.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Dido to waht every thinks.. One of the best games I have seen. Had all the makings for a great game. Glad I took B.S. and 9 points with my friendly bet with Jay (in Florida). I thought OU got out coached as well.

JC

Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

You are right Bobby, BSU could not hang with Ohio State, they are nowhere near the talent of the powerhouse Illinois program that hung with them just fine and should have beaten them.

Oklahoma was one blown ref call from playing for the National title this year, and Boise just beat them. How does that put you not even in the same league as Ohio State? If Ohio State beats Florida then of course they deserve the National Title and I am not a dreamer who thinks Boise is better than them, but to say BSU does not belong on the same field as Ohio Sate the same day they beat one of the most powerful football teams this year and in the history of college football is an extremely ignorant statement.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Oklahoma also lost to Texas and I believe Nebraska as well so they have lost 3 times this season. As far as Illini that was the only real bad game they had all year except for the Michigan game which was not nearly as close as the score.

Boise is a good program I am not putting them down they deserve to be in the top 10. It is just my opinion that Ohio State, Florida and USC this year have seperated themselves from the rest by a large margin.

If there was a palyoff system in place my money would be on USC to take it because top to bottom they have the best talent and the coaches are great. But we don't have one so I am going to be glued to my TV next Monday.

GO BUCKS!!!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Check out this finish:
http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/12/amazing-ending.html

Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

They beat them for the Big 12 Championship. During the regular season they lost to Texas and the Ducks. That was it until last nite. Living in Norman and being a Sooner season ticketholder it was bitter, but congrats to Boise State. If we had to lose to anyone, I am glad it was them. They played a hell of a football game.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Oklahoma was not close to being in the national championship. Besides losing to UT they lost to a so so Oregon team. Boise State is a good team that had a great season. Yesterday they rolled the dice several times and won every roll. I think if they played Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Louisville or a handfull of other schools they would lose. If they want respect then they need to add some good out of conference games to their schedule.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

That was one of the best CFB games I have ever seen. Boise played masterfully and I was rooting for them all the way. This was the first time I have seen them play and I was so impressed by them.

But Rhys.."beat potentially the best team in the country"..."Oklahoma was one blown ref call from playing for the National title this year"..what??? Hardly.

Not to take anything away from Boise because I do think they would play OSU tight, but Oklahoma was never part of any consideration or discussion for playing for the National Title, and they were never considered by anyone to be potentially the best team in the country. Regardless of a ref call, they wouldn't have had a shot at the National Title. But like I said, that doesn't take anything away from Boise - they would have given any team a run for their money last night.

-Joe

Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

My wife & I were seated in the second row behind the BSU endzone and experienced one heck of a roller coaster ride. The game was largely disappointing until the 4th quarter for OU fans. The late 4th quarter interception that we ran in to put us up by 7 allowed the OU contingent to cheer wildly at our first lead of the game, and the OU half of the stadium was beyond electric. Lots of kissing, hugging, & high fives.

Then BSU managed to tie it up at the end of regulation on the hook-n-ladder which electrified the BSU half of the stadium. However, I felt OU could pull the game out in OT as we were playing good ball in the 4th. After AD (Adrian Peterson) ran in the first OT play for a TD, things looked good for us and we were hoping our defense would step up. (you're right Jay, not the defense of old)

Then on a third and short situation, it looked like BSU (Ian Johnson?) fumbled the ball. The replay on the big screen sent the OU half wildly cheering while the BSU contingent stood praying as the officials announced the play was being reviewed.

We thought the game was over, but having also watched the Ducks game in person didn't want to count the chickens before they hatched. The play on the field, no fumble, stood and the rest is history. BSU played an amazing game. It wasn't easy, but I high-fived countless BSU fans as I departed, really a great bunch of fans.

Then, in a post game interview with Bob Stoops, the reporter stated that Ian Johnson admitted he did fumble the ball and so on but Stoops blew it off and said it was a well played game.

Long story short . . .

- Again, BSU played a great game
- We were out-coached, Bobby Stoops may soon lose his reputation of a great "Big Game" coach (after LSU loss in Sugar Bowl, USC loss in Orange Bowl, and now this).
- OU did not have a great team this year, I'm surprised we did as well as they did with such a young team.
- Despite above comment, OU should have been a one loss team going into BCS Bowl game, Texas, and that's it (we didn't play UT well with multiple costly turnovers although OU gained more yards, held possession most of the game, etc.)
- Congrats to BSU the team & their fans (including you Rhys )

I can't wait to watch the game on TV to see how the commentators reacted to the fumble challenge as ESPN hasn't mentioned it this morning. Were the OU fans at the game the only ones that thought the game was over right then and there?

Best Regards (from Phoenix),
Joe & Laura Gonsowski
(Laura is an OU alumni & season ticket holder, perhaps the only one in Michigan).

Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

It is games like this that make College athletics so exciting to watch. I am not going to argue that Boise State is the best team in college football, because they probably aren't. However, it is games like these that really scream for there to be a playoff system in Div I Football. I have heard all the arguments for the other side, but ultimately I don't really buy it. There is so much parity in both college football and basketball now that teams like Boise State, Utah, BYU, Louisville (only recently joined ranks of Big East), etc. on any given day CAN beat the top teams in the major conferences. National Champions are not always the best team in the country--just remember when a Syracuse Basketball team that was ranked between #20-30 in the country won it all with Carmelo- Not many would say that was the best team that year but they won when they needed to. Whether they would win or not it would be fun to watch the Boise team play another game or two.
-Rhett

Edited to add: It hasn't even been a day and the detractors of the smaller conference are already talking about how if the Boise team played ANY other top 10 team they would lose--GET REAL!!! Boise State was a great team this year, give the guys the credit they deserve!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Kind of a dubious honor but the Hogs lost to Florida #2 (could be national champs), LSU #4 (should be higher after routing ND), Wisconsin #6 (and will be higher) and USC #8 (and will be higher).
They beat Auburn #9 and South Carolina and Tennessee in the top 20.
Wonder how Boise would have fared with that schedule!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

It is easy to NOW say Oklahoma was not that good. But here is the reality of it. They lost a game on a bad call to Oregon. Had they not lost that game they would have been ranked between #2-#4 in the Nation and it would have been between Oklahoma-Michigan-Florida to play for the National title. Had Oklahoma been 12-1 and been ranked ahead of Florida to play for the National Title last week, would anyone here really be complaining? No. But because they just got beat by Boise State it is "Oklahoma wasn't that good" instead of "Boise State IS that good".

The biggest problem is that the people who knock teams like Boise need to actually speak from an educated perspective and watch some games; because if you do, it would be impossible to knock them for what they just accomplished.

Think about this

Boise State absolutely KILLED Oregon State. Oregon State beat USC. USC just beat the crap out of Michigan. Taking that with the game last night and is it really that much of a stretch to think they could beat anyone?

Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

But Rhys, the comparison game doesn't really work. Arkansas absolutely drilled Auburn. Auburn beat Florida by 10. If Florida beats Ohio State, I won't be arguing the Hogs could beat Ohio State...

Old 01-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

There is no way the Gators are beating the Buckeyes.

Final score

OSU 27
Florida 10

Old 01-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Joe,

With respect to the fumble, I think the replay clearly showed that the player's knee was down before the ball came loose. It was very close and part of the reason it was hard to tell is that the same knee popped up so quickly, one replay angle made it look as though it never hit the ground.

One other thing, the ball only popped loose as a result of his own hand (the one in which the ball was being held) hitting the ground - I always thought that the ground could not cause a fumble - I know that this is the case in the pros regardless of whether a knee was down or not, but maybe not the case in college fb.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Love that clip, Mike! I guess they should have tried another on sider on that last kickoff : )

Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

BSU proved last night (and all season) that they are a legitimate team and deserve a shot at OSU.

Rob

Old 01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Good game (of course), but I loathe Fox's coverage. Cut to fans every 3 seconds to create staged melodrama (Beleive it or not, Fox, as a sports fan I like to watch the field of play). Irrelevant and intensley annoying animated icons and sound effects flashing across the screen about every camera cut. A digitally placed arrow on the field, because of the chance that one person out of 3 million watching a football game might not know which way the team with the ball is supposed to go (Helpful hint to that one person out of 3 million: the team with the ball goes the direction they are facing, just as every animal on the face of the earth since the beginning of life faces the direction it wants to walk, gallop, run, slither, saunter, bicycle, swim or drive) .... At least they didn't use the World Series in-a-mole-hole-cam so we could find out what grass obstructed shins look like.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Too bad Florida is missing so many key defense players, otherwise I think we'd see a great game. I wish they were playing LSU instead, now that would be fun..... Be well Brian

PS I have friends on both sides, so I won't pick a winner, but I doubt the "Bucks" would go unbeaten in the SEC.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I agree, the comparison game doesn't work. In 1984 Chaminade upset Virginia in basketball. However, Virginia beat several other national powers that year. There are several degrees of comparison that are at play. This game does scream for a playoff. By having a 8 or 16 team tournament, the regular season still has meaning, and the best teams have a chance to battle it out. By the way, Bob, Razorback Nation will never fly high with Houston Nutt at the helm.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David B

I watched my Badgers nip Arkansas, but the Boise State/OU game was the best ever! Just another strong message to the BCS idiots that we need a playoff NOW! Both Wisconsin and BSU deserved to be in a playoff with their records. Let the top teams decide who's the champion on the field. We can argue ad nauseum who deserves to be in the championship game. As long as we're stuck with this ridiculous BCS system, we'll never know for sure who the best team really was. Instead of giving us a bunch of boring bowl games that no one cares about (PapaJohns.com Bowl !?!?, are you kidding me?), give us a series of playoff games that I guarantee people would watch.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Even if OU had beat the Ducks, which they didn't, they still would not have been in the championship game. First, what quality wins did they have this year. They beat a few decent team but no one in the top 10. They lost to Texas who had three losses including a loss over an anemic K-State squad. OU was barely a top 25 team.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

My Cardinals beat K-State (at K-State) like 44-17 and everyone was up in arms we didn't beat them by more.....

Old 01-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeB

War Eagle!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Florida will beat Ohio State and LSU will thrash Notre Dame. Saban will go to Alabama, and we'll never forgive him....GO TIGERS!!!