NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Tony Davis

Default Reasonable? or am I being a crybaby?

So, I got this 1936 Joe Cronin on ebay in an SGC holder labeled a Goudey Wide Pen. It turns out that it was mislabeled by SGC. It is actually a 1936 National Chicle Fine Pen (thanks to a few board members who pointed this out) which is fine with me because I didn't realize what a large card it is and probably won't keep it. When I contacted SGC, I kind of expected them to bend over backwards to fix the mistake. I mean, this is their business - correctly identifying cards and labeling them correctly. This type of mistake is a blemish on their "good name".

SGC's response was as follows: send it in, at your cost, and we will fix it and send it back, at our cost.

I know that shipping to NJ is only $4, but I expected them to pay for all the shipping since it was their mistake... They said since I wasn't the person who originally sent in the card, I would have to pay for shipping there. Which in my opinion doesn't really matter since I bought SGC's "guarantee" on the legitimacy of that card when I purchased it. They screwed up, they should fix it!

So my question is, is this reasonable? Do I have a reason to complain or am I just being a crybaby (it's only $4)?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Frank Wakefield

Well if you bought the holder, then it seems to me you have a reason to be annoyed.

There's a right smart of difference between the wide pens and the fine pens; a fellow buying the card (not the holder) should have readily seen that.

As for your concern about the size and that you "probably won't keep it," you'd have been displeased with the wide pen, too, because it is just as wide and about a quarter of an inch longer... so the wide pens would be too big for you, too.

Seems to me that you don't want that card, no matter whether it is properly identified in the slab, or not. So you should sell it. And I don't think sending it in and fooling with getting it fixed will improve the selling price, but I could be mistaken about that (maybe as mistaken as SGC was).

So... here are suggested plans of action, in order of what seems most practicable.

1- Sell it, as is, and mention that the slab label is wrong.
2- Bust it out, start collecting the fine pens, learn about cards before you collect certain ones, and quit fooling with graded cards.
3- Send it in, give them a chance to get it right, then sell it.
4- Keep it as is, as an object lesson in knowing about the cards you're buying instead of relying on third party grading.

Someone else will most likely have better suggestions...
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardbliss View Post

So my question is, is this reasonable? Do I have a reason to complain or am I just being a crybaby (it's only $4)?
I wouldn't get too steamed up over $4, though it will probably cost you less then $3 to ship it.
You don't have to ship it securely since SGC will crack it open anyway, so toss it in a bubble envelope w/ delivery confirmation.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
I wouldn't get too steamed up over $4, though it will probably cost you less then $3 to ship it.
You don't have to ship it securely since SGC will crack it open anyway, so toss it in a bubble envelope w/ delivery confirmation.
+1
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Kyle C.

Sometimes small things can be irritating.. especially if they clump up like a school of fish and wait for you when you to step out the front door. I know.

That being said.. you'd spend $4 in gas if you bought something at Walmart and got it home and found it inoperable and had to drive back without asking Wally for gas reimbursement. Send it back and pay the $4 .. do some smart card/buying/selling to cover your small loss and leave it all in your rear view mirror.

Sorry for the foul up a SGC .

Last edited by KyleTexas; 06-11-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Its the principle of the thing. They should pay both ways or better yet give you a certificate for a free grade in the future.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmaybent@aol.com View Post
Its the principle of the thing. They should pay both ways or better yet give you a certificate for a free grade in the future.
It is only $4...but that's not the point. I agree with the above post. They messed up, they should make it right in every way.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
J@son M1ller

Life's too short but if it makes you feel better to hold their feet to the fire for a mistake, more power to you. They are making it clear that they don't really care about the mistake being out there. If they did, they would pay for it to be returned. Take that for what you will. Mistakes happen and most collectors would realize that the wrong card was in the holder and not give it a second thought. Who really cares what the flip says? The card is what the card is.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Tony Davis

Thanks for the posts... I guess I just needed an avenue to vent. I liked the Walmart example... Many times I've had to drive back down to a store because they forgot to put something in a bag. I will ship out the card tomorrow to Sgc. $3 or $4 is not too bad.

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

i once bought a signed larry bird/magic johnson 8 x 10 photo from uda on their website, and when i got it in the mail, it had a spelling error below it in the text. "the rivalry contintued"

i asked them to fix it but they said they would if i shipped it back to them. at my expense.

since they made the glaring error, i thought they should have picked up the shipping. no dice. i never sent it back and sometimes the customer just takes it in the shorts.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

I just received an order back from PSA that included a W517 mini, which was the first they've graded according to their population. I wasn't surprised when I saw they holdered it as a regular W517. Apparently, its a hassle when they autheniticate an issue for the first time so they go with something already populated. I'm basing this on this example and a few other instances with the same scenario.

I mailed it back to them the next day for correction at my cost; it will be returned at their cost. For this card, I want the correct holder. Their policy on this has existed a number of years. Also something I've learned about PSA: when I've called them with a frustration over their error(s) on cards I've submitted, they occasionally send free grading vouchers, but I don't complain every time they mess up.

Because you didn't submit it originally, I'd expect nothing anyway. Less than 2.00 to send it to them.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 06-12-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Glyn Parson

Default that is a data entry error

I do not see the big deal. Just sell it and move on. Or basically what Frank said.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Glyn,

Of course it's not a big deal. But every post on this board is a big deal to the thread starter. It really gives everyone a way to vent & get sympathy from other collectors. See you in Baltimore.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Paul Hawk

I paid about $4.00 for a large coffee at Starbucks. I'll only keep that for a few hours before I whizz it out; for $4.00 you can get a card you can keep "perfect" (in correct holder) for a lot longer than I kept what I paid $4.00 for.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Mark Fox

If you had been the original submitter to SGC and you recoginized the error upon receiving the card back I would argue they should pay for shipment both ways and in such a case they might very well do just that. Seeing as how you're the 2nd, if not 3rd, 4th, etc.. person down the chain of ownership I have no issue with them requiring you to pay for shipping to them.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think SGC is being pretty reasonable here, personally. For PSA, if you were the original submitter for the card, they will change it for you for free, but like SGC, you need to pay for shipping to PSA. However, if you were not the original submitter, then you need to pay for everything (e.g., through a reholder submission). Last year, I purchased a 1933 Goudey lot from Legendary, where Legendary submitted a few cards to PSA. One of the cards (a Carl Hubbell) came to me holdered upside down! To be fair, it was a horizontal card, so only the back was upside down, but when I called PSA, they said that because I was not the original submitter, I would need to send this card in as a reholder submission, where I would need to pay for the reholdering fees also. Admittedly, I think it's only $5 to reholder, but when you take all of the postage costs, it'd be around $20. So anyway, the card is still holdered upside down in my current collection. :-p
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have a few SGC label errors as well. I just bring them to the National and have them fix the problems on site.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I have a few SGC label errors as well. I just bring them to the National and have them fix the problems on site.
Any SGC or PSA labeling errors that I have, I wait until I send a submission and include them
Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I did this at the 2011 Nat for both PSA and SGC. All reholdered on site for free.

Cheers,
Blair