NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default I've owned this card for 30 years ...

Posted By: Paul

... and I just read the back for the first time and discovered it's worth $10,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Napoleon-LaJoie-Card-Says-10-000-00-Value-NR_W0QQitemZ260071698325QQihZ016QQcategoryZ86847QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Let's make this into a contest. What listings have you seen that actually reflected greater stupidity by the seller than this one?

I happen to like this one because it shows stupidity on so many levels. If you believe his story, then this guy never read the back of his own card in 30 years. And if you believe his story, then he is such a fool that he actually thinks the value of a card can be determined by reading its back. And if you don't believe his story, then he actually believes he can fool someone with this story.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i saw this one also! what amazes me that such an idiot can have a computer let alone figure out how to work it.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

What's your point? It says in black and white that it's worth 10 large.

Maybe he's trying to top the Cosmo Kramer Cuban ash Bambino card for assinine listing of the year. Just think, it's only January 1.

:-@

Old 01-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee

Seller claims he may have the licky 10000........whatever this means.....

Old 01-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Paul

This would have been a great addition to the:

"I hate to out an auction thread..."

Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robertadamejr

Licky 10000 sounds kinda kinky . THAT I would bid on .

Old 01-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

So does this mean the T206 Wagner I have that says it's worth $25,000 on the back is a fake??????

Wait for it..........

Old 01-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Paul- here is one of my favorite stupid stories: many years ago a new customer called and asked if I could find him a Kalamazoo Bat. I gave him a price range, maybe it was around a $1000 at the time, and he said he was interested. I contacted someone who had one, got him to agree to sell it, had a photocopy made, and mailed it to the customer. Hadn't heard back from him for a week, so I called him. He sheepishly admitted he didn't respond because he was actually looking for a vintage 19th century bat, and thought a Kalamazoo Bat sounded like one he would like to own. It was funny that he agreed to a price when he hadn't even a clue what he was making an offer for. He didn't even have the right genre!

I've also had dozens of calls from people over the years who have Wagners, Planks, Lajoie's, etc. that have the value of the card printed on the back, and ask me how much I think their cards are worth. I always say doesn't it strike you odd that a baseball card would be issued with its own value printed on it? Not to mention at time of issue all baseball cards are worth zero.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Barry,

It could have been worse, the buyer could have been looking for a Yum Yum...

Old 01-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robertadamejr

Or one of those winged Kalamazoo bats .

Old 01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Judge Dred,

Wouldn't a licky 10,000 go with a Yum Yum??

On a serious note, the seller ends with "Have a blessed new year". Again, a fake card and a reference to religion, what is the deal with that?

David

Old 01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

On a serious note, the seller ends with "Have a blessed new year". Again, a fake card and a reference to religion, what is the deal with that?

the seller thinks this makes him look like an honest and caring individual when we all know he's a scumbag out to rip people off.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator

A Yum Yum sounds like a dog treat. I remember feeding my cocker spaniel "dog yums" when I was a kid.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I tend to doubt people who maintain complete ignorance about a well known card, yet store
the card in a top loader-- a top loader being something that only someone experienced
with cards knows about, much less uses. Duly note that the top loader is not
even close to 30 years old.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Barry, it really is amazing that people can actually believe cards come with their values printed right on them. Somehow, I don't that that this particular seller is suffering from that form of stupidity.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Paul- I can't begin to tell you how many calls I've gotten over the years from people who have Wagners and Planks and think they have the real thing. I know without asking a single question that these cards are no good, but I will always ask them to read the back. Then I will hear: "this card is worth $8500..." and I tell them, how could a real card know at the time of issue what it is going to be worth in 90 years? Then they always say they don't know anything about old baseball cards. You would think it would never happen once but it has happened 50 times, so when I see these listings they don't surprise me in the least.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

As a public service, it would be nice if someone would buy as many of these cards as possible and destroy them.

When I had money to spend frivolously, I used to go to garage sales looking for baseball items. Most times I did not find any. However, I did find a lot of Harlequin Romance paperbacks. If they were inexpensive enough, I would buy them and then take them home and shred them with my paper shredder.

The sellers would then have money and extra space and I would feel better because I rid the world of some trash. I would take the shredded paper and drop it off at a recycling center so it could (hopefully) be re-used for something better.

David

Old 01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

The guy does have 100% positive feedback, so bid with confidence.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

You would think this would be the one reprint that would fool no one. Simply amazing. I guess if I started distributing photocopies of T206 Wagners and scrawled the word "fake" across the front, I'd find them on ebay the next day being sold by people who were convinced they were real.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

No need for price guides...cards come out of the pack stating what they're worth.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Misunderestimated

An Old Judge "$10,000 Kelly" card could be worth that much (or even more) depending on the condition and whether it was a cabinet...
Ten Million is also valuable, and highly sought after, but not to the tune of $10,000,000.00.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Is it possible that this guy is just naive? Or am I being naive?

Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

When I was an apartment building handyman one of my co-workers came to work with a big brown book w/a vinyl cover. He was very excited because he said it was worth a lot of money and that he had found it on the street along with the rest of the set (a dozen books or so). How did he know it was worth so much? Each book had "collectors item" embossed on the front.

Another time he came in with a common Mercury dime and a tiny "gold" coin with a date of 1849. Both were in cardboard collectors cases with very high price tags. He bought them off a guy on the street for twenty bucks.

That last time I saw him he said that he was given a painting by an old lady who lived at the building he now works at. He took it to Christie's or Sotheby's and it was told it was by some famous Korean master and eventually sold for half a million. Other people have told me this is true so maybe it is.

Moral of the story: No matter how ridiculous your schemes sound, if you keep at it you might get lucky with the real thing or find a bigger fool than you are.

Howard