NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: Brian C Daniels 

Leon and I were talking today and were thinking about asking you all if you recall the probable best card you ever abused on your bicycle spokes! Mine was a mintish 67 of " The Mick". I remember opening two packs and getting three of this card from the two.....

How about you guys?

Old 09-17-2002, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: David

Never put a card in a spoke.

Old 09-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: Julie Vognar

never having had the opportunity as a child (1940-45).
Bob was sort of horrified, even though the card only cost 10 cents.

I deveolped this theory that it was a lot more fun in the thirties, because the cards were so much thicker, so they would make more noise, and not bend so easily.

I swear I never saw a baseball card. My best friend, Dick Pollak, collected comics, and loved baseball--but he never brought home a card. Even though--I think the big amusement park, Riverview, did have coin-op machines that dispensed Chicago exhibits, from all teams, not just the Cubs and White Sox. Bob said he got them there from '47-'52. The only one he remembers is a Hal Newhauser. Now he remembers a Ray Boone, and a Hank Sauer...They cost 5 cents A PIECE! He would never THINK of putting them in his bike spokes.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I also remember putting 1967 Topps Mickey Mantle cards in the spokes of my bike, which covered both front and back wheels. Growing up a "die hard" Red Sox fan, only 50 miles down the MASS PIKE, any Yankee card automatically needed to be abused. IT WAS AN UNSPOKEN LAW! I also remember trading a playground outcast 3-4 Mickey Mantles for several Ken "The Hawk" Harelson cards.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: Paul

I never put a card in spokes. But I did use my trusty pair of scissors to cut apart my rookie cards so that I could place each player with his proper team. Fortunately, I did this from 1970-72, when there were very few quality rookie cards to cut apart.

Old 09-18-2002, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: spokes material...

It was a 1980's Topp's card of "Razor Shines" for my spokes. Mostly because of his exotic name. A friend of mine used to collect soccer cards, and he gave me a card of this guy named Homer Screws, who directly went into the spokes, then into a medal fan that we had at home, along with all the other soccer cards. Other spoke denizens for me were Dick Drago of Red Sox fame and several White Sox players, for my loathing of the south siders.

Old 09-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: jay behrens

Not sure who the best player was, but I know for sure that no MN Twins ever saw the spokes of my bike. More tha likely a Few Orioles or A's did though.

Jay

Old 09-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: Julie Vognar

should be someone you DON'T like. I picked Pedro because I DID like him (of course I never would have put an expensive card of ANYONE in my spokes).

Old 09-18-2002, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: TBob

I used to think the 1958 Topps yellow letter variation cards were freaks and since I had the "real" ones, many of them found their way in to my bicycle, including Clemente and Kaline. (Hey I was only 8 years old!)

Old 09-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: runscott

I found that playing cards were more durable in spokes, so I didn't use baseball cards; however, I routinely pinned baseball cards to the dart board, mainly of players I didn't like, like Pete Rose. I trashed three '71 Pete Rose cards with darts one summer. I still have one, complete with dart holes.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: W.M.

All Topps 1970's manager and team cards went in my spokes.

Old 09-20-2002, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Specifically to a 1968 of Dooley Womack!

Old 09-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Default Cards on Spokes!

Posted By: David

Not wishing to be left out of the fun, I tell that one of the first vintage baseball cards I bought at a kid was a 1957 Mickey Mantle with a cigarette hole right through the middle. Knowing that it was bought on my allowance, it probably cost me about a buck and, funnily, apprceated well.