NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 AM

"I really don't think if we stopped all the shilling in the world that the prices of cards would go down. If anything, they would be less available because sellers would be less inclined to consign their items."

Really? I think prices would decrease fairly quickly. How much? I don't know but I think they WOULD go down.

I mean, there are some sellers out there who are probably into cards because they CAN shill their own auctions. Take that extra profit away and it isn't going to be worth their time to stay in that section of business. They will just move on to another scam.

Also, if cards are being shilled on eBay and the large auction houses and those prices are being picked up and used for things like VCP lists, what do you think would happen if all of a sudden the shill bids were NOT being placed and cards were selling for what they would without a shill? What if a $100 dollar shill bid card were actually only worth $75 dollars without the shill?

Nope, take shilling out and there would be fewer sellers, more cards on the market and more reasonable prices....

David
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
No offense, I've seen your collection -- you can't afford me.
Oh snap! Not only does my collection suck, but I'm poor too. Your critical argument tactics are amazing. I can see why you charge so much.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Nope, take shilling out and there would be fewer sellers, more cards on the market and more reasonable prices....
Fewer sellers means fewer cards on the market, not more. We see this phenomenon on ebay -- when prices go down, we have many fewer auctions and much more high BINs.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-21-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Yes, eliminating price fixing and overcharging has always led to....higher prices? Great critical thinking. And you wonder why you're poor?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, eliminating price fixing and overcharging has always led to....higher prices? Great critical thinking. And you wonder why you're poor?
For commodities, sure, you are right. But I am sure there are certain consignors who, absent assurances by certain auction houses that they will realize a certain minimum by hook or by crook (pun sorta intended), wouldn't consign in the first place.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Not just commodities. When price fixing was eliminated in the art house auction world prices came down -- and people still consigned.

What I think you're trying to say is that the reason auction houses engage in fraud is that they need to get the consignments -- and if one guy is committing fraud then the next guy must as well in order to realize the same prices in his auction -- in order to continue getting consignments. All that is well and true but it doesn't excuse fraud, it just means that unless and until everyone stops cheating many others will feel the need to cheat too. Doesn't make it right and the last thing we should be doing on this thread is arguing for fraud to continue being a known and forgiven part of our hobby. There's just no good reason to ignore the fraud.

What people don't realize too, is good luck in selling your fraudulently inflated cards. We all 'think' we know what the cards are worth but our thinking is largely based on past recorded sales -- which are also affected by fraudulent selling practices. Ever wonder why when you sell a card on ebay that you bought at an auction it doesn't do as well?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

There could be several reasons n addition to fraud that cards don't do as well on ebay. One, the seller is no longer a buyer, so the demand is less, particularly on non-commodity cards. Two, the bid levels in auction houses tend to result in higher prices. Three, people tend to be less rational in auctions than they do on ebay, for reasons I have never quite understood.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There could be several reasons n addition to fraud that cards don't do as well on ebay. One, the seller is no longer a buyer, so the demand is less, particularly on non-commodity cards. Two, the bid levels in auction houses tend to result in higher prices. Three, people tend to be less rational in auctions than they do on ebay, for reasons I have never quite understood.
I agree completely. And sellers or consignors can shill on ebay as well. But I think generally cards bought at auction houses don't tend to do as well on resale for reasons which include lack of fraud this time around. It's a fact that auction houses have pumped up sales' prices due to fraud. It's also a fact that upon resale those same cards -- when not helped by fraud of the auction house -- will result in lower prices.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Paul

Quote:
My point was that if you eliminate shill bidding you would then see price fixing and overcharging as a result. How would you recommend we get rid of all the BINs on ebay and get back to a world where baseball card sellers felt comfortable letting the chips fall where they may on price at auction?

Also what is your secret to being rich and having a collection so good that you would say someone else's collection sucks?

@SignedT206
Old 04-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

My secret is I don't spend hours twisting myself into a pretzel trying to convince myself and others that fraud in our hobby is a non-issue. Actually, now you're claiming that shill bidding is good for our hobby. Good logic.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Paul

Quote:
My secret is I don't spend hours twisting myself into a pretzel trying to convince myself and others that fraud in our hobby is a non-issue. Actually, now you're claiming that shill bidding is good for our hobby. Good logic.
Nope. just saying you shouldn't expect lower prices and more cards if you eliminate the fraud.

@SignedT206
Old 04-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

And that's based on pure guesswork, not facts. If you simply removed the shill bidding beneath ceiling bids in auction house auctions the final hammer prices would have been lower on hundreds of cards over the years.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It also depends on what you collect. I understand I may have a card or two that has an alteration. I happen to know a few people in the hobby and my sources tell me that the lower grade cards are less likely to be altered. I think if you know what you are doing and don't collect the high grade stuff, you are far less likely to have issues. I have not worried, over any period of time (of course individually every now and then I worry a bit) about cards in my collection with respect to alterations. I sleep well at night knowing almost all of my pr-ex cards are fine. As for shilling, unfortunately before about 5 yrs ago I think I was probably shilled a fair amount....since then probably not too much. I am sure I could be wrong but my "shit to equity" ratio in the hobby is still way up on the equity side. I still enjoy it immensely. If you don't enjoy the hobby or worry all of the time I would recommend doing something else.
Hey Leon,

I am a little late with my 2 cents but I thought of you recently when I got several lower grade items from an auction house who will remain nameless. 3 cards were graded (2 SGC and 1 PSA) and virtually as low a grade as you can get and all 3 cards were heavily worked. Also the ungraded material I got (about 40 cards) had also been worked. Those 40 cards ranged in value of $40 to $400. And while I would not base this experience on all lower grade material which is sold, I have come to expect that if the item is worth enough money then there is a good chance someone will have made an effort to make it worth just a bit more.

Greg
Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Hey Leon,

I am a little late with my 2 cents but I thought of you recently when I got several lower grade items from an auction house who will remain nameless. 3 cards were graded (2 SGC and 1 PSA) and virtually as low a grade as you can get and all 3 cards were heavily worked. Also the ungraded material I got (about 40 cards) had also been worked. Those 40 cards ranged in value of $40 to $400. And while I would not base this experience on all lower grade material which is sold, I have come to expect that if the item is worth enough money then there is a good chance someone will have made an effort to make it worth just a bit more.

Greg

Hi Greg
Of course, and that is why I said "less likely". I guess if some of my fr conditioned cards were worked up from poor, and they now look presentable, I can live with that. Heck, I have erased pencil marks, soaked and used a cue tip and water on many of my own cards. I am guilty of that. I am curious, if you care to disclose, what about them was worked on?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Hey Leon,

Greg
This just made me a bit nauseous.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Welcome to Darfur.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

LOL. I hadn't been paying attention obviously -- the Orange Julius being sold in Gazan malls has not been properly chilled of late. The horror!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hi Greg
Of course, and that is why I said "less likely". I guess if some of my fr conditioned cards were worked up from poor, and they now look presentable, I can live with that. Heck, I have erased pencil marks, soaked and used a cue tip and water on many of my own cards. I am guilty of that. I am curious, if you care to disclose, what about them was worked on?
Hi Leon,

Creases were attempted to be removed, attempts made to remove ink, missing stock was attempted to be concealed, in a most devious manner. Very obvious to me and not the innocent stuff you describe above.

It has always been my experience that value, not condition, is the determining factor of whether a card might undergo some form of alteration. It is unusual for me to end up with 100% of a purchase having been messed with but I do see a significant amount of cards in all conditions all values that I feel have had work done. Most are graded too.

Someone in the last couple days made a very astute post. Not sure which thread but he wrote that the only thing grading has done for the hobby is permit card doctors to make more money.

Greg
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Paul

Quote:
And that's based on pure guesswork, not facts. If you simply removed the shill bidding beneath ceiling bids in auction house auctions the final hammer prices would have been lower on hundreds of cards over the years.
As they say in ECON 101, "Assume a can opener."

@SignedT206
Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Another meaningless comment. Are you capable of embarrassment?

Last edited by calvindog; 04-21-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Paul

Quote:
Another meaningless comment. Are you capable of embarrassment?
The point is there will never be a world without shilling, so to explain what the world would look like in such an alternate universe will always be "pure guesswork, not fact." All economic theory is subject to various "assumptions" -- even can openers. If you haven't heard the joke, no matter. I just explained the premise.

Maybe if I was always charged with only making a jury of my peers have a reasonable doubt, i would reduce my arguments like you do. Let's sum up the bidding -- my collection sucks, I am poor. Shilling is fraud, and fraud is bad. All further debate is wrong and makes me an embarassment.

You do great work convincing people who already agree with you. The people who disagree with you aren't worth your very expensive time.

@SignedT206
Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I'm not sure why you think it's interesting being a contrarian with no intelligent input -- just bizarre commentary and claims that fraud in our hobby is not a big deal, that you are above such meaningless matters like fraud because of your brilliant bidding strategies. And then you put on your tattered smoking jacket and pat yourself on the back even though everyone is laughing at you.

I won't address your comments about my career or skills because as we both know if I objectively compared my accomplishments to yours you'd come out looking as foolish as a guy who thinks that prices of cards would go up if shill bidding was eliminated.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Paul

Quote:
I'm not sure why you think it's interesting being a contrarian with no intelligent input -- just bizarre commentary and claims that fraud in our hobby is not a big deal, that you are above such meaningless matters like fraud because of your brilliant bidding strategies. And then you put on your tattered smoking jacket and pat yourself on the back even though everyone is laughing at you.

I won't address your comments about my career or skills because as we both know if I objectively compared my accomplishments to yours you'd come out looking as foolish as a guy who thinks that prices of cards would go up if shill bidding was eliminated.
Do you know how hard it is to argue with you without poking fun at all of the news articles about you? I mean, I'm really trying not to reference your wikipedia page.

@SignedT206
Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

It's a wikipedia page which has been edited about 1000000 times by every sort of maniac in the world -- like you. And yet you'd 'reference' it? Really?

Do you know how easy it is to argue with a nonentity like yourself? I mean, really?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Paul

Quote:
It's a wikipedia page which has been edited about 1000000 times by every sort of maniac in the world -- like you. And yet you'd 'reference' it? Really?

Do you know how easy it is to argue with a nonentity like yourself? I mean, really?
You remind me of Bruce. But I appreciate that you haven't started with the insulting emails.

In a weird sort of way, I respect you (and myself) too much to go much further into the personal attacks. I have some really funny ones, too. But I'll take the high road.

Perhaps we fight because I remain as anonymous as possible on here. It gives you license to attack my wealth, card collection and intelligence.

I am just going to agree to disagree about the whole shilling thing. Keep fighting the good fight. I hope you make the world a better place for me to collect in, even if I come across as totally unappreciative.

Goodnight Jeff!

Xoxo Paul

@SignedT206
Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

And you remind me of Peter Chao. Except you're not Asian. And I've got some funny comments about you too -- just let me know when you want me to state them publicly.

Finally, I don't need any thanks from you nor do I deserve them. You happily claim to be isolated and selfish in your collecting and that's fine with me, nothing wrong with that. But when you publicly claim that shill bidding is not an issue to be concerned about and actually helps keep prices down and cards plentiful -- well, that's where I'm going to respond. Every person on this board has been a fraud victim one way or another through this hobby -- even you. To simply dismiss it as a cost of doing business is to simply be weak and a willing victim. That's one of the differences between me and you.

Last edited by calvindog; 04-22-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Peter Chao was unique, I don't see the comparison.

As far as shill bidding goes, who here is willing to take a stand and not bid with houses or ebay sellers we suspect are guilty, when they have a card we want? And if we are not willing to do that, why rant and rave?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Peter, that's not the point being discussed nor is it the sole duty of the victim to protect himself from fraud. But at the very least we should be able to identify fraud for what it is. Otherwise, what's the point in combating fraud if collectors actually think fraud helps them get the cards they want?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

It does not excuse fraud, I agree, but at some point willing victims are complicit. Can one throw himself under a train and then fault the driver for not stopping?

Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It does not excuse fraud, I agree, but at some point willing victims are complicit. Can one throw himself under a train and then fault the driver for not stopping?
I don't think there are any proven auction houses that are shillers, just very strong suspects. If auction house X publicly said, "we shill and if you don't like it, don't bid w/ us," I'd bet a whole lot of buyers would boycott that auction house.

There's no question that shilling hurts buyers. It's amazing that intelligent people on the board don't care. In a way, I can see where these people are coming from. For example, there is a card X that someone wants, and the VCP for this card is $100. The buyer sets his snipe for $95. The seller shills the card to $93, and the buyer wins. Therefore, the buyer is thinking, not only did I buy the card for less than I valued it for, I bought it for less than VCP. I got a great deal, who cares if the card was shilled. However, if the card were not shilled, the buyer may have bought the card for $80. Therefore, the "VCP" for this card has been set to an artificially high level even w/ this sale of this card. If the buyer tries to sell this card at a later time, and does it through an honest auction, he may not get his $93 back. he may only get $80 this time, and naively think, "well, I only buy cards as a hobby and not an investment anyway, and I had $13 of fun when I owned the card, so who cares." And I believe that this is what Jeff means when he says that the shillers laugh their way to the bank when they hear this.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Matt Wieder

Gary - it depends on what you define as an auction house being a shiller. Several auction houses openly admit to bidding on their lots using a house account in a way that appears to be a legitimate external bidder.