NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Jim VB

I'm looking for recommendations for a new snipe service. Thought I'd get the board's ideas.

The one I've been using for the last six months has been OK, but I've had some problems with them "missing" on some snipes. Yesterday, I was bidding on four lots that were connected. A seller had split a set of cards into four different lots. They failed to execute the first three snipes, but then won the fourth lot. If I wasn't going to win the first three, I didn't need the fourth one. Now I am stuck with a 1/4 of a set. The dollars are really small, but it's aggravating, nonetheless.

As usual they blame the problem on "Ebay network problems." However, in this case, the auctions were spaced out more than 15 minutes apart.

From my point of view, a snipe service is pretty useless if they can't get in touch with Ebay for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Who do you guys use?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Mark T

Gavelsnipe....never had a problem in the 8 months i have been using it.

What service did you use?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: 1880nonsports

Has worked pretty well for me. I subscribe (don't use it as much as I should - think only sniping probably best strategy). You can get a few free snipes a month or unlimited for few dollars a month. There are MANY services out there.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Matt

Jim - unless you were sure you were going to win the lots, I don't know how any snipe service would help you - if you got outbid on lot 1, even if your snipe executed, wouldn't you still be at the same risk?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Steve Murray

http://hammersnipe.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

I was thinking that also...if you put in a snipe for $100 and a few seconds before it was to go off it gets bid to $101 then there would be no snipe to submit.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I use auctionsniper too. I have been pleased with it overall. I haven't had any missed snipes, except for the one that I missed when I didn't have any money in my account.

I am sure that there are some good ones that are free, but the fees are low enough that I haven't put much energy into finding a good, free service.

Jeff

Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: T206Collector

Auction Sniper, but am offended that they still charge money.

That is why I use GavelSnipe, and I have been happier with them than I was with Auction Sniper.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

All,

Thanks for the responses. I, too, have been using Gavelsnipe. Their Customer Service response to me is that they know they need to add more servers and are doing so. However, it has now happened on six of my last 300 or so snipes. These items were insignificant, but I don't want to wait for them to miss an important item. I will look into some of the others.

Matt,

The same three bidders were sniping all four auctions. They took turns winning the first three, so I had a pretty good picture of both of their snipe habits. My price was set 3-4 times what the auctions actually went for. (Again, not big dollars, but their snipes were in the $20-25 range. Mine were much higher.) Of course there was some risk. Don't be misled. That's not my real concern. My concern is a snipe service that can't communicate with Ebay, and doesn't seem to react to my complaints.

Mark T.,

I realize that could happen on any auction, but it did not in this case. Because there were four items and the same three bidders, I can see how high the losers were bidding. I see a guy, who got sniped on the first two auctions, adjust and win the third one. He then got sniped by me on the fourth item, allowing me to see both underbidders prices. I have no problem if I get outbid. I have a huge problem when I don't get to play.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Dan McHugh IV

I've used bidnip for over a year and have never had a problem.They only charge $27 for 100 snipes,
Dan

Old 10-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

I see...i will keep a note of that problem with Gavelsnipe. Thanks

Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Even though it wasn't relevant in Jim's case, is anyone aware of a snipe service that would handle the requirement of not submitting subsequent snipes if a first is missed? I know some have group bids that will only execute one of the ones in the group if it wins, but this is the inverse.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Max Weder

I haven't noticed any missed bids yet with Gavelsnipe. However, I did notice that on two of my entered snipes, I subsequently lowered my snipe on the items by typing in the lower amount and hitting the "refresh snipes" button. Gavelsnipe executed the bids using my higher, original snipes. I suspect I should have deleted my original snipes and re-entered the new lower snipes, but not sure.

Max

Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Dave F

Justsnipe.com allows 5 free snipes each week without having to pay out of pocket.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

always delete original snipe. That way you know your all set with the new one.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Matt,

I can't think of any way a snipe service could do that. If I had won the first one, I could have easily lost any of the subsequent three. Then what would they do?

No, the risk is mine, and I took care of it by entering $75-80 snipes on $20-25 items. If I lose at that point, it's my problem. They kept me from bidding. That's very different.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Jim - obviously a snipe service couldn't guarantee 4 wins, but they could stop the last 3 from submitting if you lost the first one. That's the functionality I'm asking about.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Mark T.

The other time this has happened, it was in the middle of a string of snipes. I'd win one or two, they wouldn't execute one, then I'd win a couple more. But the items were always close together (30 seconds to a minute apart). This time, the first three items were spaced out 15 minutes apart and they couldn't log on.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: boxingcardman

I've had it for years and have been very pleased with the service. Their subscription fees are negligible, the site is easily navigated, and they've only missed a bid once for me when we went to daylight savings.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: CN

I have been using gavelsnipe for several months with no problems until last Sunday when I placed a snipe bid which I would have won but Gavelsnipe said that due to E-bay problems the bid was not executed. I feel bad for the seller as he lost some money as I would have paid more than the winning bid. CN

Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: David Goff

http://www.ezsniper.com/ works all the time...

Has anyone ever run across this issue? About a year ago, when I first started to use sniping services, a seller canceled my bid because of the snipe. I thought how in the heck they could know or even stop a snipe, but they emailed me right away and told me they do not allow snipe bids. That was the only one out of about 200 snipe bids. Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Alan

I never understood snipe services. Why use them ? If you bid higher than anyone else, what difference does it matter if you bid in the first 10 seconds or the last 10 seconds of an auction ?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: Anthony

because it doesn't allow someone else to react- whether to shill you up or to have second thoughts and top your bid. Sniping has saved me tons of money over the years.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: dennis

i use gavelsnipe and sometimes the snipe is not executed,most of the time it works fine,but there have been a 4 or 5 times when it did not. if you really want something and the price went low and your snipe did not go thru,it is pretty frustrating.this week an item i had a snipe on disappeared completely,the card went for just a couple dollars over my snipe so i would not have won it anyway. on the other hand i had a snipe set for sunday night and really wanted the cards,i fell asleep but the snipe worked and i won the auction.i would have been upset if i did not use the snipe service.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

David - they would only be allowed to cancel your bid while the auction was live - how did they cancel ti afterwards? Furthermore, not allowing snipe bids is just ending the auction 30 seconds early - what's the point?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Posted By: dennis

one word for a seller who cancels a snipe bid........IDIOT!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Hey Matt
I dont know how it was canceled because my snipe goes in at the final 3 seconds, but it was canceled. The only thing I thought of was that the seller was using a 3rd party service to block snipes. I doubt there is a feature within ebay to block snipes. But who knows..

Old 10-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Is it possible that you were on the seller's block list? That seems to be the only logical explanation. I'm not aware of any block snipe services. Is anyone?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Hey Steve
No, I was not on their block list. Well, I hope not anyway. It was a buyer who I never did business with before and if I can recall, they emailed me telling me no snipes allowed after I had won the auction. I didnt mind too much. I know I've seen a hand full of sellers put in their listings they will not accept snipe bids and if they do they will not sell the item. That instance has only happened just that one time. I have used snipes numerous times with no issues.

Thanks
Dave

Old 10-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

What I don't understand is "why would any seller in their right mind object to snipe bids?" What is the rationale? Am I missing something here?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Alan,

<<I never understood snipe services. Why use them ? If you bid higher than anyone else, what difference does it matter if you bid in the first 10 seconds or the last 10 seconds of an auction ?>>

Alan,

Drop me an email and I'll explain my rationale. I only started using them about 7-8 months ago.

Jim VB

Old 10-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Default Snipe services

Hey Steve
I have no clue either. The only explaination I got was "we do not allow snipe bids". It doesnt hurt anything to snipe, in fact I feel it lowers the price on some of the items you bid on, instead of getting in a bidding war with someone else.

Thanks
Dave