NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default T206 HOF White Border Near Set Your Thoughts

Posted By: djsteis

(This is my second-ever post. The first was this exact post on the buy/sell/trade board inadvertenly - sorry for any mixup)

Just wondering if anyone can share some insight (and opinion) on what they think a T206 HOF White Border Near Set (minus Wagner and Plank) would sell for on eBay/Mastro/etc.?

The average grade will be PSA 4, with a few PSA 5s scattered about, but nothing lower than a PSA 4. No qualifiers either.

I'm currently about 70% complete.

Here's a quick breakdown of what I have currently:

PSA 5 - Waddell portrait, Mordecai Brown portrait, Mordecai Brown Cubs shirt
PSA 4 - Baker, Beckley, all 3 Bender, both Bresnahan, Chance portrait yellow, Chesbro, both Clarke, Cobb Red, Crawford with bat, Davis, Duffy, Evers w/bat Chicago shirt, Flick, both Griffith, Huggins portrait, Jennings both hands, Jennings portrait, both Joss, both Keeler, Kelley, all 3 Lajoie, all 3 Marquard, Mathewson dark cap, McGraw figer, McGraw portrait no cap, Tinker bat off shoulder, Wallace, Walsh, Wheat, all 3 Willis.

Most are Piedmont or Sweet Caporal backs. A couple of Polar Bear backs mixed in. ABSOLUTELY NO QUALIFIERS!

I'm wondering whether it's worth selling now or completing the 74 out of 76 card near-set and selling it then.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

I see no benefit to completing the sub-set since it is your stated goal to sell it when you do.

I think your best bet is to offer them first on the BST and then on ebay. You would probably be more successful selling them individually rather than as a group.

JMHO

Old 10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Derek G.

what is the BST?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

The Buy Sell Trade Area; linked at the top of the page.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

A set averaging 5.7 sold for $255,000 in a Robert Edwards Auction about a year and a half ago. I would think one average a little over 4 would probably bring about 150k give or take a little. When you say everything but Wagner and Plank, I assume it will also not have a Doyle NY Nat'l, but will have a Magie error. If it has a Magie in a PSA 4, that could raise the value by 15-20k.

As it stands now, you are missing some of the most valuable cards, so I would not presume that 70% of the cards will equate with 70% of the value. Depending on what you have into it, it could be worth selling now. One by one would probably net more $, but not necessarily. Especially if you complete the set first, then there can be a premium on a nice set like that. Going with one of the big auction houses for a complete set would make sense.
JimB

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2006/2.html

Edited to add link.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce MacPherson

Jim,
I believe you misread his post, it's a HOF set not a complete set. Frankly, I agree with Steve that you would be better served to sell the cards individually on ebay or here in the BST. I would think the juice and consignment fees from an auction house would cut into too much of your profits for these cards.

Edited to say that I do not see any advantage of selling a complete HOF set.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...about 400 T206 cards in April, and was very happy breaking them down into groups by condition, HOF, Star, Southern League. I arrived at average values, and then sold any of the high-outliers individually.

I used the B/S/T on this Board almost exclusively for these purposes. But I will say that T206 cards on B/S/T has gone a bit soft since April. Ebay is stronger, but prices are on the stagnant or decline for most of the cards in T206, at least in conditions SGC 40 through SGC 70.