NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Default Maris signed Baseball F/S or Trade?

Posted By: Eric

Price is $2,200. Or I would trade it for PSA graded T-206 cards of equivalent value (that I don't have). If interested email me with what you have and scans to: kremocolyzarc@hotmail.com

I have a Tober Official League Baseball signed by Roger Maris and Boog Powell for sale or trade. It comes with a COA from GAI.

This is a beautiful and quite unique item. The fact that the baseball was made by Tober makes it pretty rare. There isn't a whole lot of information available on the company, but I do have this info:

Meyer Tober was a Russian immigrant who started a baseball manufacturing company in 1913. Originally located in Hartford, it moved its operations to Manchester and, later on, Rockville. The company also had plants in Puerto Rico and Haiti. As far as what's known, they did not make baseballs for major or minor league teams. Spalding had that gig. Tober made baseballs and softballs for semi-pro teams and youth leagues. Meyer was a hands-on president of the company. He continued working even at age 82.

On June 16th, 1964, an employee named Carmelo Reyes shot Tober and another employee. Reyes, who had worked for the company for a number of years, was an immigrant from Puerto Rico. He was considered the boss’s pet by some of the other employees. According to newspaper accounts, he met with Tober on Monday afternoon to discuss a personal problem. What the problem was, no one is sure. He was separated from his wife and was also on probation for a breach of peace charge.

Tuesday, the next day, he came to work and shot Meyer Tober and Arlene Rose, a 21 year old inspector at the factory. Rose only received a superficial wound and was treated at the hospital and released the same day. Tober received wounds to the abdomen and chest and died two days later.

Reyes was arraigned for murder. As for the baseball company, it survived for a while under the leadership of Tober’s son, Richard. It wasn’t officially dissolved until May of 1972.

This places the baseball's age somewhere in the era of the 1950's or 1960's. It might have been signed around this time as well (1960's).

Tober's Baseball slogan was: "From the Little leagues to the major Leagues! Baseballs, Softballs, and playground balls".

Roger Maris played 7 years with the New York Yankees. In his 12 year MLB career, he hit 275 Home Runs and had 875 RBIs. His most notable accomplishment is breaking Babe Ruth's single season home run record in 1961, when he hit 61 home runs. He was also a 2 time AL MVP. He died in 1985 of lymphatic cancer.

Boog Powell was the 1st baseman for the Baltimore Orioles for most of his career. He has 339 career home runs, 1187 RBIs, and was the 1970 AL MVP.

If I do sell this baseball, I will also include a Tracy Stallard signed baseball, inscribed with "Maris 61, 10/1/61". He was the pitcher that gave up Home Run #61 in 1961. It has a COA from Sid's Graphs.

If interested, please contact me at: kremocolyzarc@hotmail.com with your offer. Or contact me if you have any questions.

Here are the pics:

Edited to add price, offer for trade (for T-206 graded cards), and added pics of COAs. Also edited title to reflect this. Thanks again for looking.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Default Maris signed Baseball F/S or Trade?

Posted By: Eric

Thanks for the inquiries so far. I have added a sale price to the signed baseball, or I will offer it for trade. I'm looking for graded PSA T-206 cards. If interested email me.