NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Default Do You Like the Provenance on the Flip?

We all know the "Black Swamp Find" and have seen it on flips; I have one card (a T206 Matty Dark Cap) that states "Endicott Find" on the flip and I have seen others; there is of course the "Copeland Collection"; and Lelands currently has a bunch of cards from the "Charles Bray Collection". I really like knowing who owned cards before I did, especially when the card is old and rare, but I don't know how I feel about it being stated on the flip. I have never paid more (or less) for a card because the provenance is stated right there on the flip, although maybe I would if it was the "Gretzky" Wagner or the "Nun's" or "Jumbo" Wagner.

Anyway, I am just looking at these cards in Lelands advertised as being from the Charles Bray Collection, and I dont know what I think or if I care.

What do you think about provenance on the flip (not just Charles Bray)?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't care for it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM
je.sse @rnot

The only ones I've seen that I considered paying more for were the ones that said owned by Mantle. That would have been cool to own a card that was in his collection. Looking back I should have pulled the trigger on one.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

With due respect to Bill, I would just as soon not...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle62.jpg (78.1 KB, 721 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I won't pay much more but maybe just a little for known provenance. Knowing it came from a long ago collector means it has had fewer hands to alter it along the way. That doesn't mean all of these old collection cards are better, but there is a less likely chance they have been messed with, imo. Overall, I am kind of neutral.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I won't pay much more but maybe just a little for known provenance. Knowing it came from a long ago collector means it has had fewer hands to alter it along the way. That doesn't mean all of these old collection cards are better, but there is a less likely chance they have been messed with, imo. Overall, I am kind of neutral.
I wouldn't trust certain auction houses not to have altered certain collections they submitted. Not saying it happened, just saying my trust level is not high.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Steve Birmingham

I general I think it's cool, but I don't own any and probably wouldn't pay much premium if any.

It's pretty common in my other hobbies to list any important collections an item has been in. Some matter more than others.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Mike

I thought grading was suppose to be anonymous ! Do the graders know when they grade who submitted the cards or is the label done without their knowledge ?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:50 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Obviously depends on the significance of the name, but I think the provenance on the label is nice and interesting. No harm, no foul.

Last edited by drcy; 08-14-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:53 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I thought grading was suppose to be anonymous ! Do the graders know when they grade who submitted the cards or is the label done without their knowledge ?
I assume anonymous applies to the person who submitted the card for grading.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I wouldn't trust certain auction houses not to have altered certain collections they submitted. Not saying it happened, just saying my trust level is not high.
I also have very little trust in some of the same ones you do, though the main culprits are out of business now.
But there are circumstances where I think the likelihood of funny business is minimal...such as the Skydash collection and some others. I have had a few fairly original finds and they are cool. The Trucker Boy find stands out. All of those were very original cards. I think a few were even trimmed or hand cut back when they were collected a hundred years ago, but they were all very original as collected by a kid back when they were distributed. That provenance would have been sort of neat on the label, in retrospect. At least I would have liked it and known there wasn't any monkey business going on. This Arrelanes below boomeranged back to me and came from that collection.

Last edited by Leon; 08-14-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Kev1n @1les

The one that got away for me will always be Lionel Carter’s DeLong set. It was for sale a couple of years ago and I didn’t pull the trigger. Have regretted it ever since as they were all labeled as such in the set. The fact that it was the first set that he collected - out of the packs was so cool as he became such a collecting legend and held to high ideals for the hobby. I remember when someone asked him what he was going to do with all the money when he sold and he said something to the effect of “i’d Rather have the cards” was such a genuine statement and I wish I could have met and learned from him.

It was SGC vs PSA so that was a bummer but it looked fantastic.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 AM
qualitycards

Usually I like the pedigreed flip for cards from the players themselves like the Stengel & Mantle owned cards.
Also like the pioneer collectors like Lionel Carter & Frank Nagy.

The last card scanned, "The Collectors Collection" I'm not a fan.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:13 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I crack everything out do it doesn't matter to me. That said, if I was a slabby, I wouldn't mind "once owned by Mantle" or the "2018 National" that the '55B pack break got...but the ones attributing to a particular collection/collector are pretty vein.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Barry Sloate

No one is suggesting you should pay more for a card from a famous collection, it's simply information available for you to use as you choose. I know one serious collector who is so concerned with altered cards finding their way into holders that he prefers to purchase cards that originate from oldtime collections. It doesn't guarantee anything but it gives him an added level of confidence.

But as Jay said, there must be some kind of near certainty of where a card originated or the labels really lose their significance.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-14-2018 at 12:28 PM.