NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2018, 03:48 PM

Default 85% or higher on bidders constantly raises a flag with me.

Every 2 or 3 under bidders 85% or more bidding with just that seller on items that are plentiful on ebay

I just don't get it!

I have bought from Greg Morris cards in the past but this seems like a strange coincidence.

Dan Mckee

Last edited by danmckee; 12-04-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: At the request of a dear friend
Old 12-03-2018, 03:51 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Brand loyalty
Old 12-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Brand loyalty
I'm with Jay ...
Old 12-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

They do a lot of set breaks, stands to reason people would be bidding on multiple items at once with them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-03-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
They do a lot of set breaks, stands to reason people would be bidding on multiple items at once with them.
Exactly.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:32 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Many retractions, are the cards paid for then relisted? I watched a few buyers on the 52 topps, not ONE bid on mine. I had ex-mt crack outs that didnt get close to the prices some of the cards get

Edited to add "not many retractions"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-03-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:36 PM
John Donovan

For what it’s worth, I love Greg Morris Cards, and I use to them more than any other seller. Their set breaks are a great way to pick up commons in bunches. Basically, during an interesting set break, I just set my price limit and bid on lots of cards. Sometimes I win a few, sometimes I win a lot, and sometimes I’m shut out. But it’s always fun, and you can get some great deals.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

I have bought a lot of cards from Greg Morris especially if he has a 1952 Topps set break.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

I'm betting that my recent bidding % is probably that high or higher with GMC recently. Focusing on 61 Topps baseball and 50's Bowman football....and 55 Topps All-Americans.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Every 2 or 3 under bidders 85% or more bidding with just that seller on items that are plentiful on ebay

I just don't get it!

Dan Mckee
That's quite the claim, Dan. In my opinion, GM cards are nothing like PWCC at all. The majority of my 52 Topps purchases are/have been from GM cards. Great selection and real decent shipping fees too. The few times I have had shipping problems, which isn't their fault but rather Canada Customs, they have always had my back. Definitely my #1 seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan63 View Post
I have bought a lot of cards from Greg Morris especially if he has a 1952 Topps set break.
We have likely competed against one another as I also enjoy and try to purchase from his set breaks as well.
The majority of my cards, minus the 148 my Father gave me, are in my FlickR link below.

Last edited by irv; 12-03-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Interesting....

Well I am done with them

Doesn't look legit to me

Good Luck all

Dan Mckee
Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

is there anyone left that you will by from?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I don't know if it is nefarious or not, but there has been a huge change (anecdotally, at least) with Greg Morris. I used to buy a ton of cards from them - commons, semi-stars and what not, nothing of huge value - to take advantage of their all inclusive shipping. But in the last year or two, they suddenly started getting a huge amount of activity from bidders, with virtually all of their listings receiving bids almost immediately from the get-go. (I know, I know, there are many reasons why that could happen.) And their cards always seem to sell for a big premium now over the same exact cards from other sellers. When I'm looking for something these days, if I see a GM auction, I am very liable to just pass it by. Again, not claiming anything unsavory is happening, but in the end I know I'm going to have to pay a heckuva lot more for their stuff than I 'should.' Make of it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I don't know if it is nefarious or not, but there has been a huge change (anecdotally, at least) with Greg Morris. I used to buy a ton of cards from them - commons, semi-stars and what not, nothing of huge value - to take advantage of their all inclusive shipping. But in the last year or two, they suddenly started getting a huge amount of activity from bidders, with virtually all of their listings receiving bids almost immediately from the get-go. (I know, I know, there are many reasons why that could happen.) And their cards always seem to sell for a big premium now over the same exact cards from other sellers. When I'm looking for something these days, if I see a GM auction, I am very liable to just pass it by. Again, not claiming anything unsavory is happening, but in the end I know I'm going to have to pay a heckuva lot more for their stuff than I 'should.' Make of it what you will.
I noticed that as well when I sell raw. They have inferior copies of the same card sell for more. Like PWCC, I just chalked it up as maybe they had a bigger following than me. Now, after reading these, I am not so sure....
Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Nothing but positives from me. I have a huge bid percentage with them with zero retractions. When I was working on my 63 set I bought a ton from him. Why pay $3 plus $3.50 shipping one at a time from 10 different sellers when can buy for $4 even $5 for 10 cards with $3 total shipping. This is a huge factor with them and I’m sure many set builders agree. Also they are very accurate with their grades (IMO). One time my buddy bought a card that was misgrsded due to a pencil trace they missed. They simply refunded the purchase and told him to keep the card. If I buy from 10 different sellers I’m usually disappointed in a couple cards that have an issue that I wasn’t aware of. Usually I just eat it as it’s a hassle to return items under $20.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Interesting....

Well I am done with them

Doesn't look legit to me

Good Luck all

Dan Mckee
I know Greg personally and have dealt with him dozens and dozens of times. One of the genuinely nicest and most honest people I've met in the hobby. And I've met plenty of terrible people, some of whom even congregate at popular vintage forums we all love.

He's a fantastic guy, grades strictly, and runs a great business.

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 12-04-2018, 04:04 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Well it wouldn't be greg personally, it would be some if the consignors.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:49 AM
Scott Russell

I think they sell items they own. Not aware of them doing consignments, but maybe that has changed. I have had nothing but good experiences with them, but I haven't bought from them in a while.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-04-2018, 07:05 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I think they sell items they own. Not aware of them doing consignments, but maybe that has changed. I have had nothing but good experiences with them, but I haven't bought from them in a while.
One of, if not the biggest consignors of raw cards on Ebay. Getting ready to send a lot of 500+ cards right now. Never used them before so we'll see how it goes. Josh called me and talked me thru the process, fees, etc. Very pleasant and helpful.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Scott Russell

ah, well then their items are likely getting shilled. Hopefully they're booting bid retractors.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-04-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
One of, if not the biggest consignors of raw cards on Ebay. Getting ready to send a lot of 500+ cards right now. Never used them before so we'll see how it goes. Josh called me and talked me thru the process, fees, etc. Very pleasant and helpful.
Greg Morris is an advertiser but that being said, in all of my dealings and talks with him, he has seemed like one of the most honest guys in the business. And I have known Josh W (hey Josh) for close to 20 yrs and have nothing but good things to say about him too. I have sent some things to them and they did fine.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Mine did fine as well, but were missing the two top bidders who usually pay well over market for raw 1952 topps. Call it sour grapes if you will.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Greg Morris is an advertiser but that being said, in all of my dealings and talks with him, he has seemed like one of the most honest guys in the business. And I have known Josh W (hey Josh) for close to 20 yrs and have nothing but good things to say about him too. I have sent some things to them and they did fine.
That's good to know....that explains why he gets higher prices for lesser grade cards. It's good to have that kind of following (I wouldn't know).
Old 12-04-2018, 09:33 AM

Yes could be the consignor thingy again...... no doubt.

I don't know Greg but have no doubt he is a super guy.

And yes, I agree with his grading, I never had an issue with a card I have received.

I just feel like I am bidding against the house. May just be me.

And of course! you people would be nuts not to send them your cards to sell, as some have stated here, they seem to get excellent prices for common stuff that can be purchased elsewhere for less.

Seems like an excellent outlet to move some product.

Take Care everyone and a very Happy Holiday Season to all of you!

Dan Mckee
Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Banned

cheers dan
Old 12-04-2018, 11:02 AM

Default Gmc

All:

I have been immersed in this hobby since 1985 and the one thing that I hold very sacred is my integrity and honesty. We sell over 60,000 cards per month on eBay with less than .01% ever getting returned or not paid for. We are accurate graders with fair shipping and as most of you know, in this industry, that is often not found. I'm sorry if Danny or Ted or anyone else feels as if there is anything but honesty and integrity coming from our business, but our model is to supply the hobby with a product that can be trusted or your money back, guaranteed.

All I can do is assure anyone that we have never, not once, bid on, or had anyone place any shill bids in our auctions, to our knowledge. I can also tell you that less than 25% of the cards we list are on consignment - obviously, I cannot control what a consignor does with their listings on eBay, but I can tell you again that less than .01% of our cards don't get paid for or returned by the winning bidders. Do we get good prices on a lot of our cards - yes. We have an extremely dedicated following of buyers who just trust us to deliver what we are advertising and in this hobby, that is rare.

As I said to Danny privately, if he, or anyone else, has any questions or concerns about anything that you see from Greg Morris Cards, I am always available to chat. PM me; email me; call me; send a carrier pigeon; get on a horse and come see me - I'm happy to answer any questions or chat about any concerns.

Thanks
Josh Wulkan
Greg Morris Cards
josh.wulkan@gmail.com
213-808-7645
Old 12-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Todd Schultz

Thanks for the post Josh.

Dan, I would be more concerned about bid retractions than % of business with a particular seller. Gregmorris sells to a far different market than PWCC, and the difference explains the "brand loyalty". Gregmorris sells mostly, by far, ungraded post-war commons, the cost of which are way less overall than the slabbed stuff sold by PWCC. Yesterday, I opened a box of commons I won from them containing 45 various cards from the 60s and 70s. I recall that I lost out on at least that many during the various auctions covered-most open at under a buck so I throw bids all over the place. Accordingly, my bidding history will show me heavily into this seller even though I spend more on a single card or two when buying pre-war graded from someone else. I hope you don't consider me a "suspicious bidder". Happy Holidays to you too.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-04-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Thanks for the post Josh.

Dan, I would be more concerned about bid retractions than % of business with a particular seller. Gregmorris sells to a far different market than PWCC, and the difference explains the "brand loyalty". Gregmorris sells mostly, by far, ungraded post-war commons, the cost of which are way less overall than the slabbed stuff sold by PWCC. Yesterday, I opened a box of commons I won from them containing 45 various cards from the 60s and 70s. I recall that I lost out on at least that many during the various auctions covered-most open at under a buck so I throw bids all over the place. Accordingly, my bidding history will show me heavily into this seller even though I spend more on a single card or two when buying pre-war graded from someone else. I hope you don't consider me a "suspicious bidder". Happy Holidays to you too.
Hi Todd! It has been a long time.... too long and all my fault I am sure. Great to hear from you!

No, I never considered you anything but a class act and true collector my friend!

Dan Mckee
Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05h.wu1k4n View Post
All:

I have been immersed in this hobby since 1985 and the one thing that I hold very sacred is my integrity and honesty. We sell over 60,000 cards per month on eBay with less than .01% ever getting returned or not paid for. We are accurate graders with fair shipping and as most of you know, in this industry, that is often not found. I'm sorry if Danny or Ted or anyone else feels as if there is anything but honesty and integrity coming from our business, but our model is to supply the hobby with a product that can be trusted or your money back, guaranteed.

All I can do is assure anyone that we have never, not once, bid on, or had anyone place any shill bids in our auctions, to our knowledge. I can also tell you that less than 25% of the cards we list are on consignment - obviously, I cannot control what a consignor does with their listings on eBay, but I can tell you again that less than .01% of our cards don't get paid for or returned by the winning bidders. Do we get good prices on a lot of our cards - yes. We have an extremely dedicated following of buyers who just trust us to deliver what we are advertising and in this hobby, that is rare.

As I said to Danny privately, if he, or anyone else, has any questions or concerns about anything that you see from Greg Morris Cards, I am always available to chat. PM me; email me; call me; send a carrier pigeon; get on a horse and come see me - I'm happy to answer any questions or chat about any concerns.

Thanks
Josh Wulkan
Greg Morris Cards
josh.wulkan@gmail.com
213-808-7645
DAMN well written Josh! I do apologize for the PWCC comparison as I didn't realize they were getting hammered on this board. I have hammered them a few times but no one listens to me as well they shouldn't. I just don't read here like I used to.

Let me know when I can start expecting my percentage of Greg's sales for this excellent advertising I started
Old 12-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Bob Davies

Just to add... as a set builder, I look for commons as well. Being in Canada, the shipping (especially for commons) is always top of mind for me.

I recently started purchasing from Greg Morris, and I have to say I am pleased. My first purchase was a $900-$1000 ungraded card for a set that I'd been searching for a few years. Naturally I was leery, but the great scan and recognized name nudged me into making the bid. What I really prefer is the grading accuracy. I've bought a few others along the way, and I feel with GM, I don't have to scrutinize the scan.

The other thing I really like is they put the grade into the title. This really helps if I am looking for cards for my set in a certain minimum condition, I can check out the appropriate ones right away, and not waste time opening listings that I am not even considering.

All these (especially accurate grading) will bring me back.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:47 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Just to add... as a set builder, I look for commons as well. Being in Canada, the shipping (especially for commons) is always top of mind for me.

I recently started purchasing from Greg Morris, and I have to say I am pleased. My first purchase was a $900-$1000 ungraded card for a set that I'd been searching for a few years. Naturally I was leery, but the great scan and recognized name nudged me into making the bid. What I really prefer is the grading accuracy. I've bought a few others along the way, and I feel with GM, I don't have to scrutinize the scan.

The other thing I really like is they put the grade into the title. This really helps if I am looking for cards for my set in a certain minimum condition, I can check out the appropriate ones right away, and not waste time opening listings that I am not even considering.

All these (especially accurate grading) will bring me back.
I agree with everything you say. Someone on here told me in 2016-17 about GM cards and I have been a customer ever since.
I just checked and seen I am at 91% bid activity with GM cards. Well above the 85% Dan noted that threw up a flag for him.

To date, I have never had a bad transaction nor been ticked with their grading.
I know they have a big following, and there is a reason for that!
Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Michael Br0wne

To My Dearest Dan McKee,

Having gone through your post history, it seems that your three favorite things in life are:

1. Pre-war baseball cards
2. Drinking too much
3. Ranting, raving, and making unfounded accusations towards third party auction houses because you drank too much the night before

I place very sparse bids on eBay and go through periods of time where I will have not made a purchase for several months. Later, I place hundreds of bids trying to complete a set or pursue items when I have the funds to spend. During different, intense bidding periods this has resulted in 100% activity with sellers such as Greg Morris and PWCC auctions because I was seeking items they had in their auction all while having no bid activity elsewhere.

Does this make me a shill?

I'll let you in on a little secret... No...

Just because you live life through a keyhole and cannot use your imagination as to why a completely likely circumstance is likely, without nefarious means says a lot about your character and who you are as a human.

A wise man once said, "We do not ever rid ourselves of our demons, we simply learn to live above them." Perhaps you should take a step back and assume better of the world before making crazy accusations against honest sellers. Perhaps it is you who commits these very acts through other auctions because it is within your peripheral. Those who assume the negative are themselves the negative.

I for one am planning to avoid your eBay, anything you have for sale on this website, and hope to never deal with you in the future.

Mich4el Br0wne
Old 12-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

https://media.giphy.com/media/j9djzcMmzg8ow/giphy.gif

Last edited by Promethius88; 12-05-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Albert Bee

Default drink

Yea..drinking too much LOL
Old 12-05-2018, 11:53 AM

Default To Be Honest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsBaseball1973 View Post
To My Dearest Dan McKee,

Having gone through your post history, it seems that your three favorite things in life are:

2. Drinking too much
3. Ranting, raving, and making unfounded accusations towards third party auction houses because you drank too much the night before

I place very sparse bids on eBay and go through periods of time where I will have not made a purchase for several months. Later, I place hundreds of bids trying to complete a set or pursue items when I have the funds to spend. During different, intense bidding periods this has resulted in 100% activity with sellers such as Greg Morris and PWCC auctions because I was seeking items they had in their auction all while having no bid activity elsewhere.

Just because you live life through a keyhole and cannot use your imagination as to why a completely likely circumstance is likely, without nefarious means says a lot about your character and who you are as a human.

A wise man once said, "We do not ever rid ourselves of our demons, we simply learn to live above them." Perhaps you should take a step back and assume better of the world before making crazy accusations against honest sellers. Perhaps it is you who commits these very acts through other auctions because it is within your peripheral. Those who assume the negative are themselves the negative.

I for one am planning to avoid your eBay, anything you have for sale on this website, and hope to never deal with you in the future.

Mich4el Br0wne

Michael and anyone else,
I have known Danny for over 25 years. We have done business together and we have drank together (sometimes too much). He is not a bad guy at all. There was just some things that threw up a flag for him and he aired it here, which is well within his right. As I told him privately, and I will reiterate it here, if anyone sees anything or has any issues with anything with regards to Greg Morris Cards, please contact me. We are not perfect and we make mistakes from time to time, but what I can assure you is that we will rectify our errors and do our best to make it right. We run an honest business and we don't want problems for any of our buyers.

We have started taking consignments and have had great success for virtually all of them (sorry Ted if you didn't feel you got the money you were hoping for). We typically get great money for higher grade raw sets, by breaking them down and selling them card by card. I'm happy to discuss this, or anything else with any of you, who might be interested in giving us a try.

Thanks
Josh Wulkan
Old 12-05-2018, 03:57 PM

Default Dan

[QUOTE=MetsBaseball1973;1833110]To My Dearest Dan McKee,

2. Drinking too much

Mich4el Br0wne

For someone who wants to shine a light on positivity you’re last paragraph certainly contradicts that fuzzy feeling. You completely missed the mark with your long winded charter reference of Dan. He is a solid drinker and a straight shooter. Nothing wrong with sharing strong opinions.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Jeff H

I have had nothing but positive dealings with Greg Morris. The cards are fairly graded and shipped quickly.
As for the prices realized by Greg Morris, I say good for them. I set a max price that I am willing to bid and if the cards sell for more I just wait for the my next chance. JMO
Old 12-05-2018, 08:06 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I felt the cards did what they should have, I was just hoping if have some of the nut jobs bidding them up. Namely the 1***2 and t***.

Probably just chasing those high end cards with Hope's they grade 9s

Raw lopat 700$

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382624274457

Raw Robert's

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132849100607

Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Seems a tad high for a 6...

Look at the top border on the back.