NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 AM
Kevin Parsons

Default Card Budget

Do you have a set card budget every month? How do you determine how much it is? Do you exhaust your budget every month? If not, does the excess money roll over to the next month? I need idea. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Mike

My monthly card budget is directly related to the intensity of the wife's scowl. I just keep spending until I see the vein on the side of her forehead pulsate sending angry spittle from the corner of her sneer.....

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 06-30-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:33 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Card budget = (all other fixed and variable monthly costs) x 2
Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 AM
D@le Irv*n

No real budget, but I should have one!

I'm streaky, I suppose? When I see cards that I don't own and if they are reasonable, as well as shipping, then I'll bid. Sometimes not much is available so that is obviously my down/slow time.

Guess it all balances out over a period of time.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:53 AM

A budget is necessary if you have cash-flow problems or poor self control. And, if the former, you probably shouldn't be spending money on baseball cards.

If neither of those is true, the way to keep spending down is to assign a very low number to each card that you want, and simply refuse to pay more than that number. The number has got to be low enough that it's hard to find the card at that price. It's what I do, and it means passing on lots of things that I could "afford". I like this strategy better than an actual budget because it means that if several things can be found at my very low number, I can get all of them. On the other hand, it also means that there will sometimes be a month in which I don't buy anything.

Caveat: due to being married, some elements of a budget are necessary. If I spend a lot of money, or if lots of packages show up in the mail all at once (regardless of what they cost), it might be necessary to lie low for a while. But that's a "staying married" strategy, not a "buying cards" strategy, and applies as much to anything else as it does to baseball cards.

Last edited by nat; 06-30-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
A budget is necessary if you have cash-flow problems or poor self control. And, if the former, you probably shouldn't be spending money on baseball cards.

If neither of those is true, the way to keep spending down is to assign a very low number to each card that you want, and simply refuse to pay more than that number. The number has got to be low enough that it's hard to find the card at that price. It's what I do, and it means passing on lots of things that I could "afford". I like this strategy better than an actual budget because it means that if several things can be found at my very low number, I can get all of them. On the other hand, it also means that there will sometimes be a month in which I don't buy anything.

Caveat: due to being married, some elements of a budget are necessary. If I spend a lot of money, or if lots of packages show up in the mail all at once (regardless of what they cost), it might be necessary to lie low for a while. But that's a "staying married" strategy, not a "buying cards" strategy, and applies as much to anything else as it does to baseball cards.
+1 on buying cards and staying married. I do almost exactly the same thing.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:29 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default A must hav

I have a budget that I religiously adhere to each month. At least until the next auction catalog arrives in the mail or a group of cards I've been seeking all show up on eBay on the same day. When that happens (as it does most months) the budget gets thrown out and next months spending plan reduced accordingly. At least until one of the items above inevitably happen again.

I'm still married. So somehow this plan is working for me.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 06-30-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:39 PM
George E.

I had a $5 a week budget and would roll it over if I didn't use it. That was a fun set-up. Kept me from over-doing it, but also freed me up to spend more (when I had built a surplus). And it was a fun challenge to spend so little (getting to the point where I knew I could always find something if I was patient was a key part of this).
Old 06-30-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
No real budget, but I should have one!

I'm streaky, I suppose? When I see cards that I don't own and if they are reasonable, as well as shipping, then I'll bid. Sometimes not much is available so that is obviously my down/slow time.

Guess it all balances out over a period of time.
That's my approach, too. I think of it as more of a per-card budget. Some months there are 10 cards that I need that come up at my desired prices, some months I don't buy anything. I've got a pretty narrow focus of what I'm looking for, so I have to try to grab what I can when it's available.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 06-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Kevin Parsons

I've been think about make myself a budget for every month and sticking to it. I dont make purchases with a credit card or anything, but Id feel better if I had a set budget.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:38 PM
John Hanssen

I buy and sell things so I use profits to buy hobby wants. I do this so I don't use any family money on my own collecting.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM
Kyle May

Unless you're a millionaire with no financial worries in life, you should have a budget. With that being said, sometimes you can get carried away even with a budget.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-30-2017, 01:49 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The Revenue Neutral Budget

Step 1

Buy $100,000 worth or cards or other stuff.

Step 2

Become immersed in the Forum, catalogs and online sites.

Step 3

Find something you want.

Step 4

Sell something you have from Step 1 to fund the Step 3 purchase.

Step 5

Repeat Steps 3 & 4 over and over again.

Step 6

When you tire of the hobby after 10 years or more, sell everything which then could be worth $200,000 or more at that time, if you're wise and/or lucky.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Robert J. Miller

Staying Married Budget = P.O. Box, then when the "when did you get that?" is sounded, its.......... Oh I always had that...........

Just kidding about the above. I do not have a budget but I should. However, I don't buy much anymore with a daughter in college and a son going in two years.

Robert
Old 06-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Paul Lehr

My wife and I have a budget for everything!

All of our post tax/retirement money first goes into a joint checking account. Every week my wife and I each transfer X amount of money for ourselves (like an allowance) to separate accounts which we can do with whatever we choose, with zero judgement from the other. We also keep for ourselves any bonuses we each get at work. This is our weekly/yearly "fun money" and my collecting budget. All other money we earn is considered "family money" which is used for bills, vacations, further savings, etc. and is off limits.

I realize this system wouldn't work for everyone but it's served us well for the last ten years. We've never had an argument or even a disagreement about money.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Kevin Parsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post

All of our post tax/retirement money first goes into a joint checking account. Every week my wife and I each transfer X amount of money for ourselves (like an allowance) to separate accounts which we can do with whatever we choose, with zero judgement from the other. We also keep for ourselves any bonuses we each get at work. This is our weekly/yearly "fun money" and my collecting budget. All other money we earn is considered "family money" which is used for bills, vacations, further savings, etc. and is off limits.

I realize this system wouldn't work for everyone but it's served us well for the last ten years. We've never had an argument or even a disagreement about money.
I really like your system.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Chris

I had a set amount directly transferred to a separate bank account so I could spend it at will on cards. Now the budget is a little tighter, so all I'm spending is what I'm able to acquire from selling duplicates I already own.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Kev1n @1les

I set annual collecting goals - i.e this year was to get '54 and '55 Bowman as well as the 59-63 Fleers and some Red Man sets.

Over the last 5 years, I have averaged between 10-15k per year.

Bonus comes in February and I set aside a big portion of this during that time. I also feed my "secondary account" $100 a paycheck and I get any mileage and reimbursement from work into that account.

In the last couple of years, I buy 75-85% of my annual purchases between February - April I then have an upgrade list that I work on the rest of the year.

If I put aside 5-7 grand from my bonus and spend 12 grand during those months (driven largely by the spring auctions), I will pull the overage from my savings account and then pay myself back throughout the year with the extra stuff that I described above.

Unfortunately, I have an unhealthy relationship with my cards so I am reticent to sell any doubles from my upgrades, so every purchase is "new money".

As I get deeper into the set run, I find that the up front investment is much higher or the upgrade list is much longer. So far the system has worked with the Mrs, and she did get some things on her want list this spring which helps ease some of the tension. She doesn't love it, however, and it is cause for budget renegotiation during every bonus season.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 06-30-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post

We have a similar system, but in the other direction. Auto transfers from personal accounts into a joint account for expenses and savings. Whatever is left behind is for personal purchases.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default My plan

Here is my strategy:

1. Buy $10,000 worth of cards, mostly above market value.

2. Sell them a few at a time, mostly for less than I paid for them, to fund new purchases.

3. Keep adding to my collection by paying more than anyone else is willing to pay.

4. After 10 years, sell the entire collection for $2000.

Then start over.

It works well for me.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
I buy and sell things so I use profits to buy hobby wants. I do this so I don't use any family money on my own collecting.
Similar for me. No set budget, buy what I like, and often sell things to thin the herd.

I came into my marriage with a collection, and collecting as a hobby. I keep those funds separate, therefore never any questions.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 06-30-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:26 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
My monthly card budget is directly related to the intensity of the wife's scowl. I just keep spending until I see the vein on the side of her forehead pulsate sending angry spittle from the corner of her sneer.....
But of course, Mike. How could you be so crass as to actually spend money on baseball cards when surely the house needs some form of improvement?

Happy collecting,

Larry
Old 07-01-2017, 10:35 AM

I ate one of those big $1.19 soft pretzels from Wawa for dinner last night due to going well over my budget last month, so I might be wrong person to give advice...
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 07-01-2017, 11:29 PM
je.sse @rnot

No budget for me. Some months I may pick up a few cards. I may go a few months between pick ups. If I've been spending too much, or want to go after a big purchase I sell a few cards. It's worked out so far, and I always make sure to leave a comfortable reserve in the bank in case other things come up.

I did sell a few cards I would have rather held on to when I was about to purchase a house. But I felt it necessary at the time due to the money we were putting down. I sure wish I had the green Cobb back with the recent run up.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Rich v@n He$$

My collecting activities actually shaped my budget.

Years ago, I set off to complete a defined collection. Early on in the search, there were literally hundreds of options and a wide range of $ values. I had a set monthly budget that I was comfortable with. I spent nearly that amount most every month. At times, a good deal on a pricey card would come up and I would usually dial back my spending in the later months to make up for it. Nowadays, my remaining list is small and purchases are infrequent at all. Many are rare and higher dollar though some are just hard to find but affordable. Scarcity is my budget control. When they come up though....its a matter of whether I can afford it or not.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:05 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
My collecting activities actually shaped my budget.

Years ago, I set off to complete a defined collection. Early on in the search, there were literally hundreds of options and a wide range of $ values. I had a set monthly budget that I was comfortable with. I spent nearly that amount most every month. At times, a good deal on a pricey card would come up and I would usually dial back my spending in the later months to make up for it. Nowadays, my remaining list is small and purchases are infrequent at all. Many are rare and higher dollar though some are just hard to find but affordable. Scarcity is my budget control. When they come up though....its a matter of whether I can afford it or not.

Pretty much describes me along with is what a seller is asking for a card. If they are way out of the price range, then it's a no go.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

There has never been much room in my budget for pricey vintage baseball cards. So therefore I have never had a budget. But I've always had a goal: to eventually take in more money than I have paid out. So while I do look for bargains on cards that I will keep, I also look for deals on cards I intend to flip for a decent profit. I started from scratch, and my collection has been growing for 12 years now. It seems to be working because right now, overall, I'm about $2500 in the hole on a collection that is worth well over $30,000 in strictly vintage cards (1887-1974).
Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is sweet and sort of the way I think too.
My card budget is whatever I see I like and can afford. (which isn't a ton nowadays).... But I also KNOW if done correctly it's not spending it's investing . I can rarely spend but I can invest (it seems almost daily nowadays).

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
There has never been much room in my budget for pricey vintage baseball cards. So therefore I have never had a budget. But I've always had a goal: to eventually take in more money than I have paid out. So while I do look for bargains on cards that I will keep, I also look for deals on cards I intend to flip for a decent profit. I started from scratch, and my collection has been growing for 12 years now. It seems to be working because right now, overall, I'm about $2500 in the hole on a collection that is worth well over $30,000 in strictly vintage cards (1887-1974).
Old 07-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My budget is simple:

Kill = Eat

Whatever I make selling I can spend buying. Above that, I am SOL.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Johnny MaZilli

SOL hahah love it :-)

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-05-2017 at 12:48 PM.