NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-09-2024, 04:36 PM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Marc: You're correct. I believe this was part of an offering I named the "kicked football series" offered by Epstein Novelty Co. during the 1940s and 1950s. For more, see https://pennantfactory.weebly.com/bl...ein-novelty-co
Great info Domer, once again.

Here is my St. Mary's. Both of my kicked football series pennants (Santa Clara, St. Mary's) seem to be a bit higher quality than the typical football runner pennant now identified as Epstein. Perhaps they cost a bit more? I also can't help but notice how many different versions of the kicker there are given the small sample of pennants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St. Mary's Epstein kicker.jpg (124.0 KB, 298 views)
Old 03-10-2024, 07:01 PM

Joe, that Cornell pennant is beautiful. Never seen it before--thanks for sharing.

Marc, who knew there were so many variations of the Epstein punter, kicking the football across the pennant? Even when they used the same punter, they still altered him ever so slightly to enable the school name to fit on the tail-end of the pennant.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:53 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

This likely won’t excite anyone given how plain it is, but I was psyched to pick this up recently. A quasi-farm club of the NYG in the 30s and 40s. I first started collecting pennants when I was still in school, mid-late 1990s and one of my first purchases was a shopping bag full of crumpled old pennants bought at a flea market. This was one of them, in slightly lesser condition. (This is not mint, either.)

At the time I had no interest in minor league pennants so I sold it not long after, and later regretted it. I especially like full-size minor league pennants now. Hadn’t seen this again or ant JCG pennant until this one …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0836.jpg (197.0 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 03-11-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:34 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
This likely won’t excite anyone given how plain it is, but I was psyched to pick this up recently. A quasi-farm club of the NYG in the 30s and 40s. I first started collecting pennants when I was still in school, mid-late 1990s and one of my first purchases was a shopping bag full of crumpled old pennants bought at a flea market. This was one of them, in slightly lesser condition. (This is not mint, either.)

At the time I had no interest in minor league pennants so I sold it not long after, and later regretted it. I especially like full-size minor league pennants now. Hadn’t seen this again or ant JCG pennant until this one …
Having grown up in NJ, I think it’s tremendous!
Old 03-11-2024, 07:46 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Me too – That Jersey City is awesome!
Old 03-12-2024, 07:26 PM
Jim Reynolds

Made an old-fashioned trade of pennants and pinback buttons and came away with this beauty. The Yankees pennant I believe is from the 50’s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6562.jpg (236.0 KB, 255 views)
Old 03-12-2024, 07:38 PM
Jim Reynolds

As part of my trade, I also picked up this small Yankees pennant. Reminds me one ones I've seen attached to pinback buttons but I couldn't find an example when I searched. Does it look familiar to anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yanks.jpg (161.6 KB, 267 views)
Old 03-14-2024, 03:33 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
As part of my trade, I also picked up this small Yankees pennant. Reminds me one ones I've seen attached to pinback buttons but I couldn't find an example when I searched. Does it look familiar to anyone?
My little Yankees pennant has been identified as a 1952 to 1962-ish pennant from the Tom’s Peanuts set.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:10 AM
Jim Reynolds

Picked up a small lot of pennants recently, the prize being this well-loved 1978 All Star game pennant featuring the Padres’ swinging friar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6657.jpg (124.1 KB, 231 views)
Old 03-17-2024, 07:28 AM
Jim Reynolds

Another recent pick up. Living in Richmond, Va. since 1997, I’ve seen two minor league baseball teams come through and there were teams here before that. I’ve provided security for both the Richmond Braves (AAA) and the Richmond Flying Squirrels (AA), so I’ve developed an interest in minor league memorabilia.

This minor league AAA Omaha Royals pennant caught my eye so I picked it up. It’s seen better days but I think I can clean it up some. Omaha was a member of the American Association from 1969 to 1997, so the pennant is at least 27 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6658.jpg (146.9 KB, 219 views)
Old 03-17-2024, 09:56 AM
Jim Reynolds

Here’s another great 1970’s pennant with the Padres’ Swinging Friar that I picked up in that same lot. Another candidate for a good cleaning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6662.jpg (130.9 KB, 208 views)
Old 03-17-2024, 11:31 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That '78 All Star pennant looks really good to me. Not sure I would mess with that one. I would put it in the top 20% of those that have survived. That stiff white polyester felt was notorious for soiling, toning and browning.

Yours might benefit from bleaching, but looks pretty darned good as-is!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 03-17-2024, 11:58 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
That '78 All Star pennant looks really good to me. Not sure I would mess with that one. I would put it in the top 20% of those that have survived. That stiff white polyester felt was notorious for soiling, toning and browning.

No bleach on the newer ones…..Oxyclean.

Bleach is for the older, soft ones. Have I taught you nothing?
Old 03-17-2024, 12:13 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:

It’s definitely in pretty nice shape for its age. I’m going to try out the OxiClean method on some lesser pennants but I think this one could still do well with a cleaning. It’s my first All-Star game pennant, so I definitely don’t want to damage it.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:13 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
No bleach on the newer ones…..Oxyclean.

Bleach is for the older, soft ones. Have I taught you nothing?
Seems like there’s a regular OxiClean and a whitening one. Do you remember which one you used?
Old 03-17-2024, 01:08 PM
Jim Reynolds

These are the remaining pennants that I picked up this week in a lot. Nothing special, but I do like the ‘84 Padres one with the scroll of names. Sometimes you have to buy ones you don’t want to get to the ones you do want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6671.jpg (199.0 KB, 209 views)
Old 03-17-2024, 01:55 PM
Rob

I wouldn't mess with the 78 All Star. It's not going to get much whiter than that. The risk outweighs the rewards.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I wouldn't mess with the 78 All Star. It's not going to get much whiter than that. The risk outweighs the rewards.
Yes. That's what I was trying to say!

Old 03-17-2024, 07:32 PM

Ditto.

Embrace its patina.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:32 PM
Jim Reynolds

Anyone have any tips on getting creases out?
Old 03-17-2024, 11:54 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Anyone have any tips on getting creases out?
Steam iron the reverse side only (medium heat). Keep the iron moving, and not in one place for too long. Practice on a couple of cheap/expendable pennants first, until you get the hang of it. Do not iron the front side.

Some turn out better than others, but ironing seems to work to a certain extent on virtually all all types of cloth/felt. Go easiest on the white pennants, as they will show brownish burn marks more easily than darker pennants. Keep that iron moving, and did I say not to iron the front side?

Best of luck.... let's see the before and after results, once completed.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:31 PM
Gary

A couple of new arrivals.

It's my first Astros pennant. The price I paid for it was less than the cost of the toploader it came in. I do love a bargain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240315_173806.jpg (203.8 KB, 181 views)
Old 03-18-2024, 04:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Awesome pickups, Gary...

That Smoking Bum is truly a classic.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:47 PM
Marc

Yeah, those Astros Trench pennants don't sell for much at all. But a Colts from possibly one year earlier is easily in the hundreds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Houston colts red LH batter.jpg (119.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 03-24-2024, 09:05 PM
Marc

I'm sure that many of us were watching this pennant sell on ebay this week. I was not a bidder. I'm curious how faded it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919 Reds.jpg (95.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-24-2024, 09:30 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I'm sure that many of us were watching this pennant sell on ebay this week. I was not a bidder. I'm curious how faded it is.
Well…They’re not called the Cincinnati Oranges.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:39 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
What did it go for? Color me mildly suspicious.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:07 AM
Stephen

If I'm spending that much on a pennant I want to physically see it, but that's me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266718690331
Old 03-25-2024, 12:27 PM

Just stumbled across this forum recently in my never ending search for ABA pennants. I’m a big ABA collector. My apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread. I was looking for a for sale/for trade thread specifically for pennants but didn’t see one.

Anyway I’m WTB or WTT for ANY version of Spirits of St. Louis, the 68-69 Denver Rockets team photo pennant, or the late 60s teal colored Kentucky Colonels pennant. If you’ve got other ABA pennants you’re willing to sell/trade not mentioned here, please don’t hesitate to let me know. I’d likely still be interested in buying even if I already own it depending on team and version. Happy collecting!

Last edited by BigAndy; 03-25-2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:56 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Well…They’re not called the Cincinnati Oranges.
Mic drop! Curious if you like this one, Rob. I kind of don't.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:58 PM

I purchased the 1919 pennant. I went back and forth on authenticity as well. Seeing it in person was not an option so I took a chance. I will say some of the issues I had with it were satisfactorily answered. For example, one issue was no tassels (there is clear evidence of where there were once red tassels on the spine according to the seller). Once in hand I'll closely inspect and seek additional thoughts on it. If it doesn't pass muster, I'll work with the seller and Ebay to return it if needed.

Last edited by mfreema2; 03-25-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:22 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreema2 View Post
I purchased the 1919 pennant. I went back and forth on authenticity as well. Seeing it in person was not an option so I took a chance. I will say some of the issues I had with it were satisfactorily answered. For example, one issue was no tassels (there is clear evidence of where there were once red tassels on the spine according to the seller). Once in hand I'll closely inspect and seek additional thoughts on it. If it doesn't pass muster, I'll work with the seller and Ebay to return it if needed.
I think it will be “good.” Not a red flag for me, but I’ve more often seen red fade to pink rather than orange. The fading is less than ideal but you take what you can get with 100 year old pennants. I hope you can post more pictures (back) when you get it in hand.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreema2 View Post
Oh I don't have any doubts it's legit. I was just making a joke about the color. But as Rob said...When it comes to 100 years old pennants, good luck finding a mint one. The seller also had a rare New York Titans pennant that sold pretty well...not baseball "well"...but football "well" anyway.

Last edited by Fballguy; 03-25-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:41 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Oh I don't have any doubts it's legit. I was just making a joke about the color. But as Rob said...When it comes to 100 years old pennants, good luck finding a mint one. The seller also had a rare New York Titans pennant that sold pretty well...not baseball "well"...but football "well" anyway.
The aging/soiling strikes me as strangely uniform and unlike anything I've seen before, but I will defer to greater expertise.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:26 PM

I appreciate all insights on the pennant - thanks. I will post more/better photos when I get it.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:31 PM
Marc

I thought it was legit too. Here are pics of two others... and a Mitchell and Ness repro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Reds 1.jpeg (88.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpeg Reds 2.jpeg (105.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Reds MN.jpg (78.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-25-2024, 08:33 PM

True. There are not a lot of exemplars to compare whith pennants this rare either, especially if it is a possible variation of the 3 or 4 known similar pennants. The seller says he has 350 more pennants inherited from the same relative. It will be interesting to see these other pennants when/if listed.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:39 PM
Marc

Wow! Tell the seller that he/she is welcome to come here and share!
Old 03-25-2024, 08:47 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
I thought it was legit too. Here are pics of two others... and a Mitchell and Ness repro.
Appears to be the same batter as the one reproduced in leather on various team pennants from the 1910s …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0924.jpg (174.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0925.jpg (176.7 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 03-25-2024 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:51 PM

Thanks for adding those. I studied all three and compared it to the one selling as I'm sure you and others did. The "National Champions" and batter have more similarities to the 2 originals - the alignment of the feet and bat, the lettering. The "National Champions" is smaller than the other 3 (2 authentic examples plus the M&N repro). The one that just sold is obviously more worn so that makes a one to one comparison a little more difficult.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:54 PM

Very simiar to those - thanks for sharing.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Wow! Tell the seller that he/she is welcome to come here and share!
He might want to... it could certainly help him.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:54 AM

Just to recap this since there was a lot of interest. The seller messaged me that due to a few concerns brought about by bidders and non-bidders in regard to the pennant's authenticity, including from me, he suggested having an appraisal of the pennant to which I agreed.

Last edited by mfreema2; 03-26-2024 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:19 AM
Rob

The batter looks “squattier” (more compressed) in the M&N repro.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:52 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
The batter looks “squattier” (more compressed) in the M&N repro.
As well as with the pennant in question...

And with the originals, the words “National Champions” arch higher above and further below the “Cincinnati Reds”. Which means it’s either a reproduction or that they used two separate silkscreens back in the day.

It would’ve been interesting to find out whether the graphics are painted/screened, or flocked (raised velvet).

The fact that it’s being evaluated by an AH is not the end all-be all. I have seen countless reproductions offered by the top/most respected auction houses, many of which were subsequently withdrawn. There are a handful of people here who’s opinion I value more than any AH. But I’m sure it will surface again somewhere if Mark doesn’t buy it.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:51 PM
Rob

Quote:

And with the originals, the words “National Champions” arch higher above and further below the “Cincinnati Reds”. Which means it’s either a reproduction or that they used two separate silkscreens back in the day.

It would’ve been interesting to find out whether the graphics are painted/screened, or flocked (raised velvet).

The fact that it’s being evaluated by an AH is not the end all-be all. I have seen countless reproductions offered by the top/most respected auction houses, many of which were subsequently withdrawn. There are a handful of people here who’s opinion I value more than any AH. But I’m sure it will surface again somewhere if Mark doesn’t buy it.
Yikes!

I’m not sure about the “squattiness” of the batter, but I see what you’re saying about the more shallow arching. This is why my collection remains “low end.”

P.S. we never heard the final disposition of the 1918(?) Red Sox that we all felt was no good, did we?
Old 03-26-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:

That's a good point, Mark, about the AH not being definitive.
Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM
chris

Interesting topic of discussion. I think there's also the possibility of it being a pretty good period reproduction. What's everyone's thoughts on that?
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Interesting topic of discussion. I think there's also the possibility of it being a pretty good period reproduction. What's everyone's thoughts on that?
Meaning, like a 100 year old reproduction? I wasn’t aware anyone was doing that…
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Marc

The spine doesn't match the Mitchell and Ness. But the scrunched graphics do a bit. I guess the spine could have been replaced. I'm curious about the color of the cut tassels. I did also see the rare NY Titans pennant from the same seller, mentioned by Rob. I know that having the Titans pennant doesn't mean that this Reds is real, but it sounds like these are coming from a serious pennant collection.

Last edited by bocca001; Yesterday at 10:00 AM.