NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 07-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

SADA Fangio. Eddie, is it 56 or 58 do you know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fangio.jpg (195.0 KB, 185 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:32 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
SADA Fangio. Eddie, is it 56 or 58 do you know?
Awesome pickup, Peter. I don't get how undervalued Fangio cards are, considering he is one of the 3-4 drivers for whom a serious case can be made for being the best F1 driver of all time.

I believe the SADA card is from 1958, although I have seen it listed by eBay sellers as 1956. The information I found previously online about the card almost always listed the year as 1958.

https://www.cardsoflegends.com/colle...l-fangio-1958/

Here is a checklist from the entire set of SADA cards, and the checklist says 1958. That would make me think that is the correct year.

http://athleticards.com/c_girandola.html
Old 07-11-2022, 09:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Awesome pickup, Peter. I don't get how undervalued Fangio cards are, considering he is one of the 3-4 drivers for whom a serious case can be made for being the best F1 driver of all time.

I believe the SADA card is from 1958, although I have seen it listed by eBay sellers as 1956. The information I found previously online about the card almost always listed the year as 1958.

https://www.cardsoflegends.com/colle...l-fangio-1958/

Here is a checklist from the entire set of SADA cards, and the checklist says 1958. That would make me think that is the correct year.

http://athleticards.com/c_girandola.html

Thanks. From the Marciano I always thought it was a 58 set. As for the other drivers in the conversation, are you thinking Clark Senna and Hamilton? Lots of views on the subject of course.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:22 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Thanks. From the Marciano I always thought it was a 58 set. As for the other drivers in the conversation, are you thinking Clark Senna and Hamilton? Lots of views on the subject of course.
I was actually thinking Schumacher more than Clark. I know Clark was killed at Hockenheim at age 32 and his win percentage is among the best of all time, but his early death robbed him of future wins/titles. Even with Clark's early death, I think it is hard to make a case for him being number one with 25 wins and two world titles when you look at how many wins and titles the other possibilities had.

Prost is usually ranked somewhere between third and fifth all-time on most lists, and I guess that is probably where he should be. But I was listening to Tom Clarkson's F1 "Beyond the Grid" podcast with Prost a few months back and Clarkson made a credible case for how Prost could have won 7-8 world titles.

Prost won four championships and finished second four other times. He lost the title by two points to Nelson Piquet in 1983, half a point to Niki Lauda in 1984, three points to Senna in 1988 and seven points to Senna in 1990 (thanks to the infamous Suzuka crash when he was taken out by Senna).

Last edited by Bored5000; 07-12-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I was actually thinking Schumacher more than Clark. I know Clark was killed at Hockenheim at age 32 and his win percentage is among the best of all time, but his early death robbed him of future wins/titles. Even with Clark's early death, I think it is hard to make a case for him being number one with 25 wins and two world titles when you look at how many wins and titles the other possibilities had.

Prost is usually ranked somewhere between third and fifth all-time on most lists, and I guess that is probably where he should be. But I was listening to Tom Clarkson's F1 "Beyond the Grid" podcast with Prost a few months back and Clarkson made a credible case for how Prost could have won 7-8 world titles.

Prost won four championships and finished second four other times. He lost the title by two points to Nelson Piquet in 1983, half a point to Niki Lauda in 1984, three points to Senna in 1988 and seven points to Senna in 1990 (thanks to the infamous Suzuka crash when he was taken out by Senna).
I have a Prost RC (hopefully) incoming; I recently had a UK package go missing on me.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:30 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I have a Prost RC (hopefully) incoming; I recently had a UK package go missing on me.
I know Prost does not have the miraculous story of Lauda or the mythic aura of Senna, but he seems so undervalued compared to the explosion in prices for his contemporaries.

Last edited by Bored5000; 07-12-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:33 AM

Default Winners Circle Say No To Drugs 1989

Just completed this NASCAR "Winners Circle Say No To Drugs" set after more than 30 years!

This set was extremely low-printed, and was tough in 1989. So tough that counterfeits came out about 1991.

As the counterfeits are very deceptive, I was concerned until the Fred Lorenzen card arrived, but it is genuine.

So another set finished.

Jon
Old 07-13-2022, 03:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

The buying phase continues with Lewis Hamilton. Normally I would buy a "rookie" card or something as early in time as possible, but the 2006 Futuera is out of the question, I really don't care for the 2009 SI for Kids card showing his car and even less for the Top Trumps, and there wasn't anything in between, so I ended up with his first Topps card. Why someone sent this to Mike Baker is beyond me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamilton,l - Copy.jpg (200.7 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-13-2022 at 04:02 PM.