NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default help with original photos

Posted By: craig

i recently purchased a large batch of original photos from the archives of the des moines register. these photos are of the dm boosters and demons of the 20's and 30's and include many of the teams stars of the time. many of these are cropped and others have a black or grey substance covering all but the main focus of the picture. is there a way of removing this masking agent that was applied? i would really like to see the whole picture. also, does this have any effect on the historical significance of the picture?

thanks
craig

Old 01-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

The grey ink or similar markings (cropping marks, etc) means that the photo was the actual photo used to make a picture in the newspaper. The grey ink was to make a clean background or otherwise omit bothersome details for the newspaper picture. Sometimes there was added detail-- such as outlining a player's hand or head in thin black or silver ink. Cropping marks indicate how the image was 'cut down' in the newspaper picture. Many of these types of photos were physically cropped.

Likely you can't remeove the silver (or would be tough to do). However, the marks are 'official' and often adds to the value of the photo, as it can help authenticate the photo and because some collectors like the original art for published photos.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Please note that the attractiveness, of lack thereof, of the production marking is both in the eye of the beholder and should be judged photo-by-photo. Production marking can both be tasteful and even enhancing, and it can be a bucket whitewash against the wall.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

John "Shano" Collins that came with some Blacksox photos I bought, and roughed up the emulsion where the water touched it. That emulsion is thin! I tried it on Shano because even though it's an original Conlon photo, and Shano looks very interesting--I don't really care about him. I wanted to see if it worked before I tried it on Cicotte--it didn't. The duller emulsion is difficult to see through the Mylar, but it's there.

Anybody want to buy--nah, I'll keep it.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Here's a photo of boxer Ezzard Charles. The overpainting here is unusually extravagant and detailed. The background is in silver ink. If you look closely you see that his trunks and the bottom of his glove is all handpainted! Actually, the photo is affixed to a board and the bottom portion is all painting (you can see the line where the photo ends). His name is handwritten in two color inks! ... To my eyes, this is a work of art.