NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Old guys - it's only going to get worse. Kids have more important things to do in their lives than worry about rules, and I mean ANY rules. It could be partly a function of where I live, but the kids I know (and by 'kids', I mean anyone under 30) are only interested in playing video games, drinking and smoking. I know plenty of really intelligent young people who didn't think getting a high school degree was very important. It's cool to be a slacker. From where I am sitting right at this moment, I can look out the window and see 'cool kids' and homeless people. In many cases it's the same people, just on different parts of the same path.

In our generation this attitude generally only lasted through high school, then we had to go get a job. It was a cultural thing, and it protected us.

But back to the topic. English is devolving. Oral language started off purely as a means of communication. Written language gave it rules and thus permanence. Our youth have a distaste for rules. Any method that communicates a thought is now acceptable.

Fight dullardness: Read, write letters, do math in your head.
I'm in 10th grade and I proofread all my posts
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
I'm in 10th grade and I proofread all my posts
Can you proof read mine too plz?
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 PM

As a former literature major and encyclopedia writer, my philosophy is if you understand what the person means, that's the majority of communication. I do 'speak proper,' but don't go all school teacher about a teenager using the word ain't because I, and everyone else, know what the kid means.

Last edited by drc; 01-27-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
As a former literature major and encyclopedia writer, my philosophy is if you understand what the person means, that's the majority of communication. I do 'speak proper,' but don't go all school teacher about a teenager using the word ain't because I, and everyone else, know what the kid means.
...or when they drop the 'F' bomb repeatedly in public, or even at the dinner table when visiting their grandparents. They are just communicating - no biggy.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM

Forgive Scott. He lives in Belltown. On my side of town, the kids don't even know what is the F-bomb.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Forgive Scott. He lives in Belltown. On my side of town, the kids don't even know what is the F-bomb.
I was complaining to a friend of mine about the nasty language I hear around Belltown, and he told me that I was getting old, reminding me that my parents probably felt the same way about the language that my generation used. The main difference is that I was still held accountable and got to taste quite a bit of the old ivory bar.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Kids (those under 30 and a gross generalization) have always had a dislike for rules. The problem today is that adults (those over 30 and another gross generalization) don't hold anyone accountable for breaking the rules, in all aspects of society. Lack of grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc are just endemic of the larger problem.

I am not the best speller, and at times have problems with grammar, but I try to proofread what I say as my job requires a good deal of technical accuracy. And to try and convey what I actually MEAN so that others can understand. My errors I catch myself doing these days are usually typing the wrong words (such as "there" instead of "they") because my brain is usually ahead of my fingers, which are many times on "auto pilot" when typing.

I myself, as others have pointed out, usually just gloss over a post/comment that isn't clear and I don't give it a second look. My feeling is that I'm not going to spend more effort in trying to understand what someone wrote than the effort they put into what they wrote in the first place.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
"Ain't" is slang, not a misspelling persay. But there is a difference between written and spoken communication, or what is considered appropriate in one environment vs. another.

I would say that in the Net54 environment, it is generally casual, and misspellings are made and accepted, but there is a general expectation that the poster at least makes an effort.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Barry Sloate

per se
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

+1

The 'marm

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Trivia question

Do you know who coined the word "F-Bomb"?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

the "kid" if im not mistaken - gary carter that is, of my now pathetic met team. Boy we need help lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
+1

The 'marm
It's Latin, so we can cut a little slack here.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Jim Hopkins

I tend to leave out words while I'm typing so I always proofread everything. Both my parents were teachers and made sure I understood the importance of correct grammar or tried to anyway. I'm thirty so I guess I'm in the gray area between the literate and illiterate. (Kidding)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

(apology spelled correct)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but it should be "apology spelled correctly". It is an adverb as it is modifying a verb - spelled. Correct is an adjective which modifies a noun; ie. 'It is correct.'

Last edited by Michael B; 01-27-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Ed Hans

Quote:
My biggest bitch is the incorrect use of adverbs.

+1

Here's a vote for "alot" as the most annoying error of all.

Last edited by edhans; 01-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Keep in mind that a chatboard is a pretty informal place, so there's a little more leeway here than say if you were writing an essay for the Harvard Review. All I ask is that people write clearly so that the rest of us understand what they're talking about.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM

We really should try to be a tad more understanding and forgiving , even charitable , to those posters for whom communication can be a difficult task .

For example , I'm acquainted with a member here who told me , in confidence , that he was the offspring of a dyslectic philosopher and an agnostic insomniac and thus spent his childhood lying awake wondering '' Is there a Dog ''....
Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

A few things I'll comment on all at once.

I'm probably guilty of not being understandable at times. I tend to be a bit long winded.

Evilking- I do nearly everything with attention to detail. That probably comes from training in machining/drafting, and doing jobs where missing the details had a possibility of getting someone killed or injured.

Ain't...........I have never figured out what it's supposed to be a contraction of.

While I'm not great at grammar the thing I've seen recently that bugs me is mixing tenses. As in "This bike Needs restored" I've been told this is really common around Pittsburg.

By the time I was in high school I liked rules. Especially ones I could turn to my own purposes. Our school handbook specified "a note from home" was needed to excuse an absence. So I had my sister write one when I skipped school. Dad was less than pleased since he'd written the handbook. I had to help rewrite it over the summer.

I don't think much proofreading happens, even at places where the business is writing. Like the newspaper. So many articles have errors of spelling, or the wrong word used, or stuff that takes a few minutes to make sense.

Steve B
Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Fred

I probably would have just put "apology spelt correct" at the end of the first post, just to have some fun.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Default Be careful what you ask for, EvilKing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
but for 20 years i was in the resturant business .
Another commonly misspelled word.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I would disagree with this as well. As far as lackadaisical or lazy, due to not being on top of spelling. I can only speak for my self - but for 20 years i was in the resturant business worked 16-18 hours a day 6 days a week. For the last 8 years im in Real estate and though the hours are better im always working. Im also thinking of opening another business next year and i run 2 websites and own a rental property. I would say im far from lackadaisical and but also far from a good speller, lol

I always tell my employees, its good to know what you know but its better to also know what you dont know.
I would say it's probably better for society that you're a hard worker than that you can sit on your ass all day and nitpick spelling and grammar errors. So I think you're doing ok here -- but what do I know, I'm just a patriotic taxpayer.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Bill T.

Random points that may or may not be connected:

As a professional writer and editor, I believe that my first goal is to be understood. Anything that makes the reader (or listener) work harder gets in the way. Even people who don't know/can't explain/don't give a s*** about the rules can identify them in received language. Try explaining proper use of the en dash. It's more arcane than the infield fly rule. But when readers see it they know what it signifies.

When people write/speak and it's clear they're not even trying, it's like a big FU to the audience. EK, after reading your posts I can't imagine it's your intent, but it can come across that way. Using proper grammar and learning to spell are like good table manners. You can get the job done (writing, eating) without such things, but those around you will thank you for the effort.

So here are some writing tips for those of you who are interested. Baby steps.
  • Start every sentence with a capital letter.
  • Use apostrophes where they're appropriate.
  • Take 20 seconds after you finish writing before you hit the "Submit" button.

Good luck, and God bless.

Bill (not looking to succeed Barry or Frank)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

writer and editor...i c. (see) as the writer you can express all your thoughtfull and colorfull immages in your head on the page, but wearing 2 (two) hats, as the editor you must then (or at the same time) check your dotted i's and crossed t's. Its really two different all together mind sets.

As a professional editor (lets just say you werent a writer, as alot of folks are just one or the other) where would a good editor be with out a creative writer who spells the same word differently on the same page 3 different times?

When i started this thread i was just pointing out that i know i make spelling mistakes and will probably continue to do so. As well as offering an apology to those who may be irked by it. I wasnt trying to start a 10 page thread on this topic, as i have read through the forum this isnt the 1st time its come up. ugh, maybe we can get back to baseball soon...... this spelling stuff is so boaring.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-28-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
ugh, maybe we can get back to baseball soon...... this spelling stuff is so boaring.
+1

but ...... "boaring" is actually "boring".

sorry man .... i had to do it
much love
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 AM
Mike

Aside from the obvious reason that draws all of us to this board, one of the great pleasures I get here is the opportunity to flex my vocabulary. Words and phrases that one simply cannot use in everyday life can be interjected into a written post. At work, I often find myself mired in meetings with a roomful of college graduates and I get the "deer in the headlights" look should I slide too far down the list of word choices. I, also, am asked to write "How to" instructions for the computer operators across the company, on occaision. I was instructed to "dumb it down" after using "ergo" in one such paper recently. Posting here liberates a body.

That being said, I try and remember that everyone's grasp of words and grammar is different. Holier than thou I ain't. I may point out a mistake to someone who has skills and will not be insulted by my telling him. However, if I do not know the writer and his abilities, I will forgive and refrain from saying anything. People didn't join this board to have their wordsmanship critiqued. It's all about the cardboard.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 01-28-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
I wasnt trying to start a 10 page thread on this topic,
Hi EK,
Being relatively new, you may not realize that there is a setting somewhere (sorry I can't remember where now) that allows more posts per page.
Maybe you were exaggerating for effect, but if not... this thread is still only one page for me. Just trying to help.

Tony

p.s. To anyone except EK : did I use effect properly? That one always corn-fuses me.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

[QUOTE]........I may point out a mistake to someone who has skills and will not be insulted by my telling him ...........[QUOTE] Bocabirdman

Shouldn't the schoolmarm be immune from your insults?

Now back to baseball, did you know that Moe Berg once shared a jug of sake (the two syllable version) with Babe Ruth in Japan?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Now back to baseball, did you know that Moe Berg once shared a jug of sake (the two syllable version) with Babe Ruth in Japan?
Oh, for goodness' sake.

Last edited by Rob D.; 01-28-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Default Hurt elbow falling out of chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Oh, for goodness' sake.
Capital O ouch.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

lmao - ok just one more on the Spelling thing - you have to see this if you have read any of this 1 page OR 10 page thread! - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I would say it's probably better for society that you're a hard worker than that you can sit on your ass all day and nitpick spelling and grammar errors. So I think you're doing ok here -- but what do I know, I'm just a patriotic taxpayer.
So are you saying that people who care about spelling are unpatriotic tax evaders who sit on their asses all day?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default Another Genius

Since this particular thread turned into a grammar/spelling thread I though the members would find this amusing. I was cruising on ebay and saw this particular item. I was not interested in it, but I sometimes look at signed items when I am familiar with the signature to see if I think it is real or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ted-Nugent-S...item2ec5cad4de.

I read the ‘COA” of this person who calls himself ‘Theautographexpert’ with a 50 feedback. Please stop laughing. No, really. To quote: “T.A.E. has put allot of work into bringing you.. blah blah blah. I dropped him a note letting him know that his COA would have more credibility if he did not have a misspelling in it. I prefer misspelling rather than grammatical error. He said he was reporting me to ebay for harassment and challenging his credibility. To bastardize a Kinky Friedman book title / quote – ‘You can lead a dumbass to water, but you can’t make him think.’ I like to drop notes to sellers who list unidentified signatures or have similar minor mistakes that may help them. Everyone, to a fault, is appreciative. Then you get some knucklehead like this.

Last edited by Michael B; 01-28-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Rob

Default Another Genins

My understanding of the autograph market is that one cert is as good as another. In the end you must do your own due diligence.

I got this from Mill Creek sports on ebay...

montgomery.jpg

Last edited by RCMcKenzie; 01-28-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
So are you saying that people who care about spelling are unpatriotic tax evaders who sit on their asses all day?
LOL. More like the other way around.