NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Prewar Cards

I would think that most of us on Net54 started buying and collecting cards in the 50s, 60s, or 70s. When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, I had no idea that baseball cards actually dated as far back as the 19th century.

How long did you collect before learning of the existence of prewar cards?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Barry Sloate

I saw pictures of old cards in books as far back as the 60's and 70's, but never made the connection I could and would be collecting them one day. When I came back into the hobby in the early 80's, I discovered they were actually out there and could be purchased.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:17 PM
David McDonald

When I was a kid I had absolutely no interest in cards even from the previous year. In 1957 I considered a '56 Topps worthy only of the back wheel of my bicycle. What's more I could care less then about the ballplayers themselves of the previous generation. When my dad or other kids' fathers talked about the players they saw in the '20's and '30's my eyeballs would roll. It was only Mantle, Mays and Snider as far as I was concerned. I can only kick myself now. As for awareness of other sets besides Topps (I hadn't even seen Bowmans; I was a lame kid) it wasn't until the '80's 'til the penny dropped. Saw a '33 Goudey Dean at a card shop, picked it up because I thought it was the only vintage card I'd ever see again. Wasn't until I came aboard Net54 6 or 7 years ago that I became fully aware of the myriad issues of vintage cards.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 PM

Where I live in Florida, there isn't any card shops selling prewar cards.

My first major exposure was when I found the Steve Verkman auctions through the mail. I bought some prewar there. However, when I hooked into Ebay in 2003, is when I really started buying prewar. Has been steady ever since.

Frank
Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 PM

I started collecting in 1972 and was offered a 1909 T206 Phillippe for a 1974 Topps Pirate card in 1974. I turned it down.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
pete ullman

i started collecting in 1977 and eventually acquired thousands of cards from mid 50's-present...I loved the stars from the 50's-70's and collected them all. While at a show probably in the early eighties I was offered a used t206 matty white cap for $2...and I bought it and still have it. I sold my bb cards...minus a few...to buy a 77' camaro in high school. When I got back into collecting in the late eighties/early nineties...it was only vintage!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
M@rk Lu7z

When I was about 10, somewhere around 1970, a couple of dealers started offering prewar cards for sale in Baseball Digest and, I think, in the back of the Sporting News. James T Elder and the Card Collectors' Company were among the names that I recall. Since I was getting a real kick out of it, my parents took me to a card show in 1971 in Detroit (met Frank Nagy. I continued to collect via the Trader Speaks. I was able to get a bunch of t206's and Goudeys and Play Balls, but I didn't run across much that was rare way back then.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Dan Bretta

I bought packs in the 70s, and I think the first set I tried to put together was the 79 set...I went to the monthly flea market with my folks and there was a dealer there that had a book filled with T206's, Cracker Jacks and Goudey's...that was the first time I'd ever seen those cards and I'm thinking it was probably about 1980...I bought my first prewar card - a T206 for a few bucks around that time as well. I wasn't aware of 19th century cards until my dad found three N172's in an old scrapbook and gave them to me around 1981 or 82. I sure wish I knew then what I know now and I would have bought every single card on that dealer's table instead of the loads of Topps, Donruss and Fleer cards.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Mike Dugan

In 1976 I went to my first card shop and then a couple of months later to my first show. I met John England there and he explained the T206s & T205s.

There was a dealer there with a complete set of T205s glued into an album. I thought that they were the coolest things I had ever seen! I remember he wanted $800 for the set, I left thinking what a nut!.

I picked up an Old Judge when I was leaving for $4.00 along with three boxes of 1975 Topps Football for a buck a box (no one collected football I was told.) My other big purchase was a copy of The Trader Speaks and Sports Collectors Digest. I found an ad by George Lyons (Jeffrey's Dad) that offered 50 different T206s for $25.00. I sure wish I had ordered more.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Bruce C.

Nice discussion.

Started collecting in 1978 in CA. Moved to NY and found a card shop within walking distance in 1979. The owners were great and liked to show the kids all the different cards, empty wax boxes, and how to properly store and handle the cards. Got to see many early vintage cards. I bought the large Beckett annual in 1981, and loved looking at all the different cards. I went to my first card show and traded a Carlton rookie and 3 Schmidt rookies for a bunch of HOFers from 1957 to 1959. Sold all of them (or you could say I basically gave them away) in my late teens.

Although I've always been drawn to the older stuff, I've always bought new stuff because it was available and in my price range. With eBay, I was able to pickup a couple of T206 Buffalo Bisons, but I was still a collector of new stuff. A couple years ago, I realized I was paying $140 for a box of cards, and $30 for a 50 cent card because it was graded. I started looking at cards from the 50s and realized I could get some nice cards for what I was spending. I ran across this forum and lurked for some time, truly amazed at the variety of pre-war that was out there. I picked up a few pre-war examples of different sets, and finally decided to start working on the T205 set.

I know some folks complain about some of the drama on these boards, but I for one would like to thank those who have posted over the years. I've learned so much, and am once again truly enjoying collecting.