NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Never understood "paying strong" on BST

You are "paying strong" for Goudey Ruths? Or for Cracker Jacks? OK, go to Heritage and PWCC and start buying away. "Paying strong" always seems to be some amorphous term that means some price that never quite reaches going market rate.

So many nice Goudey Ruths on the block. Go buy them Mr. Paying Strong.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-11-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Maybe it means applying physical strength to the action of transferring money. Like, "here's twenty bucks" while simultaneously punching the cash into your arm.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 PM
T0dd M@rcum

You have to be very educated, but there is a sweet spot where you can "pay strong" and get them for less that you could get them from the auction house and pay the seller more than they would get from the auction house without the wait and rigamarole.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
Maybe it means applying physical strength to the action of transferring money. Like, "here's twenty bucks" while simultaneously punching the cash into your arm.
LOL. Good one. Will try at the deli tomorrow when I get my coffee and breakfast.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Rocky Rockwell

"Paying Strong" for a very rare card or item could actually mean what it implies, but for most stuff it means...." paying you as little as possible but maybe if I call it strong you will sell it to me cheap???"
Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
"Paying Strong" for a very rare card or item could actually mean what it implies, but for most stuff it means...." paying you as little as possible but maybe if I call it strong you will sell it to me cheap???"
LOL.....All Star Cards puts out a "BUY LIST" on their monthly periodical. Sight unseen (but they ARE PSA graded cards).....The "paying strong" man can never beat what that magazine is paying.....so much for "paying strong".

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 09-11-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I use it to mean, "if you have one and are willing to sell it, contact me first bc I am most likely willing to pay more than what you'll get for it elsewhere". I have a BST thread right now "paying strong for a '41PB Williams". I will happily pay the same, if not more, than it would get at auction....with 100% net to the seller. But it's got to meet all my criteria, which is proving hard to find. I understand for the '33G Ruth's, but for something you're having a hard time finding, it can help pry stuff out of collections....sometimes
Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
LOL.....All Star Cards puts out a "BUY LIST" on their monthly periodical. Sight unseen (but they ARE PSA graded cards).....The "paying strong" man can never beat what that magazine is paying.....so much for "paying strong".
Do you own All Star Cards?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Do you own All Star Cards?
Of course not...they are based out of Kansas. I live in NC.....but I have used them....and "Paying Strong" has never beat their offers...would you like to know what they are offering for a 1941 Play Ball Williams?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:26 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Of course not...they are based out of Kansas. I live in NC.....but I have used them....and "Paying Strong" has never beat their offers...would you like to know what they are offering for a 1941 Play Ball Williams?
Why not. What's a 5 worth to them?

Last edited by conor912; 09-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Default Buying strong

I wish there was a "like button" for this thread.

Yep, when someone says they are paying strong is usually some reverse phsycology to make seller think this guy is gonna pay more than anyone else.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I've always understood it to be used when someone is looking for a hard to find card and is willing to pay "strong" in a private sale rather than it going to auction. But yeah doesn't make much sense for cards that are readily available so I'm not sure

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

They are running a business, and looking for collections / desirable cards to obtain. Like ANY business, I would not expect them to buy at what they would sell an item for. They would soon be out of business.

Obviously they would like to be the first ones contacted if someone is selling.

Nit picking over terminology. Must be a slow day for everyone.......

Last edited by KCRfan1; 09-12-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 AM
Eric
Eric

My version of paying strong is this- I am looking for several nearly impossible John McGraw T206 backs and I will overpay to get them due to rarity. This is the only context I understand this phrase. Paying strong for a readily available card doesn't mean much to me.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
My version of paying strong is this- I am looking for several nearly impossible John McGraw T206 backs and I will overpay to get them due to rarity. This is the only context I understand this phrase. Paying strong for a readily available card doesn't mean much to me.
That makes sense. I will pay strong for a Gehrig Rogers Peet of Gekrig kut out because I've never seen one.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

I guess I don't understand the confusion here. My presumption is that if a collector is "paying strong" they are willing to pay above the VCP average, the idea being that they are trying to buy a card not currently for sale, and they need to compel a seller to part with a card.

I'm not sure if the reference to All Star Cards is a joke or not, but their buy price on a 41 PB Teddy is $550. If I found a centered example in the same grade, I'd probably pay double that. I'm not sure it makes sense to compare the dealers who are "paying strong" vs. the collectors doing so.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I guess I don't understand the confusion here. My presumption is that if a collector is "paying strong" they are willing to pay above the VCP average, the idea being that they are trying to buy a card not currently for sale, and they need to compel a seller to part with a card.

I'm not sure if the reference to All Star Cards is a joke or not, but their buy price on a 41 PB Teddy is $550. If I found a centered example in the same grade, I'd probably pay double that. I'm not sure it makes sense to compare the dealers who are "paying strong" vs. the collectors doing so.
Ha. $550? For the right one, I would happily pay double that, maybe more.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Paying strong

I believe that it means that you have strong desire to own the card and you will buy at fair price and will not try to negotiate a lower one . I have seen the term used for beaters when trying to complete sets. I may be wrong ???

Sharing my Yankee’s
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Share your Yankee’s
https://www.facebook.com/groups/554519474738304/
Old 09-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I believe that it means that you have strong desire to own the card and you will buy at fair price and will not try to negotiate a lower one . I have seen the term used for beaters when trying to complete sets. I may be wrong ???

Sharing my Yankee’s
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Share your Yankee’s
https://www.facebook.com/groups/554519474738304/
The key word is 'fair price'.....fair to the buyer? or fair to the seller? I have had GREAT transactions on here. However, when someone reaches out to me looking a particular card, their expected "buy prices" are seldom fair - they are usually wanting them for less than Ebay.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post

VCP can only get you so far. If the last sale of a particular Ruth or Cobb card in that grade was $1000 in 2014, what's a fair price now?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Well

Now you know how dealers feel when someone tells them VCP is ($blank) well if that was all i wanted id give it to PWCC or other auction and move on to the next buy.

Last edited by glynparson; 09-12-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
^^This is how I see it also^^

Quote:
The key word is 'fair price'.....fair to the buyer? or fair to the seller? I have had GREAT transactions on here. However, when someone reaches out to me looking a particular card, their expected "buy prices" are seldom fair - they are usually wanting them for less than Ebay.
15% less than eBay if fair to both parties. Seller gets within a few cents of the real amount they receive after fees from eBay sale. Buyer gets a discount and probably buys from that seller again.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
^^This is how I see it also^^

15% less than eBay if fair to both parties. Seller gets within a few cents of the real amount they receive after fees from eBay sale. Buyer gets a discount and probably buys from that seller again.
How is selling for less than you can on EBay fair to the dealer? That certainly wouldn't be paying strong. 5% below EBay would be fair to both.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
How is selling for less than you can on EBay fair to the dealer? That certainly wouldn't be paying strong. 5% below EBay would be fair to both.
5% is fair also. The buyer saves 5% and the seller gets 10% more cash than if sold on eBay for the same price.

As a buyer I might return to the seller giving 5% and making more $ in their pocket. I will definitely go back to the seller giving 15% off and getting the same exact money as they would get from eBay after fees.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:24 PM
C.hris Bl.and

I use terms like "paying strong" or "paying above market" to attract people who may have a card I want, but would only sell for what many would consider an exorbitant price.

For example, an M101-6 of Gavvy Cravath books for 175 dollars in the Standard Catalog - if someone had one I would gladly pay 6-7x that for it, maybe more. There might be 2-3 other collectors out there who would pay that much for the card - this is not a Goudey Ruth.

Someone that had this card probably got it quite a while ago in all likelihood (I haven't seen one for sale publicly) so maybe my offer to "pay strong" would convince them to sell a card that has a narrow market for a nice chunk of change - can't hurt to try on my side...

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 09-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default strong

After the words " paying strong "..later on comes " what the least you'll take for it "
Old 09-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I use terms like "paying strong" or "paying above market" to attract people who may have a card I want, but would only sell for what many would consider an exorbitant price.
This is where I've seen it most useful. I've never used it myself, but I've seen the best response with this.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default 15%

15% below eBay price is a fair price, considering that eBay takes 12% and PayPal takes 3%, so it would be a wash for the seller and the buyer would save 15%.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
15% below eBay price is a fair price, considering that eBay takes 12% and PayPal takes 3%, so it would be a wash for the seller and the buyer would save 15%.
When did EBay start taking 12%? It was 10% for the card that I sold last month. Also, EBay discounts off that. The seller is losing 2% + and the buyer is the only one with savings. Fair is both buyer and seller meeting in the middle, not one taking all the savings plus more.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Mark Medlin

If all cards have an exact value, then auctions are obsolete.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:33 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I prefer paying weak, but I don't advertise it on the BST board. That's why I buy on COMC or buy auction lots on eBay. Do some digging and you can find a bunch of wheat in the chaff.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Seems to me that everyone is confused on what Ebay takes....it is 10%. Less if you have a store.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default rats60

Hi, you are correct. When I had my basic store I was paying 12%, but that was over a year ago. I checked on eBay and the final value fees have been lowered to 9.15%, but remember that you are also paying a 9.15% fee on shipping charges, and a basic store costs 19.95 per month for an annual subscription and $24.95 per month for a monthly subscription, so those fees need to be factored in. PayPal takes 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction. Maybe something in the 12-13% discount range would be more fair.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Seems to me that everyone is confused on what Ebay takes....it is 10%. Less if you have a store.
Seems to me people are forgetting some fees.

For regular sellers eBay takes 10% of everything including shipping. PayPal takes $.30 plus 2.9% of everything including shipping. On lower end sales the total fees are over 15%.

EDIT: To keep this kind of on track I also like to pay weak.

Last edited by bnorth; 09-12-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
If all cards have an exact value, then auctions are obsolete.
Crap, NOW you tell me
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
After the words " paying strong "..later on comes " what the least you'll take for it "
"Paying strong" usually means "I'm a lowballer and I'll do whatever it takes to steal that card from you, including lying about my willingness to pay even market value."
Old 09-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Too many cynics here. I am sure I have used the term and I mean exactly what Conor said -- if I like the card I will probably pay more than most people would for it, although not off the charts insane new world record wtf type price.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-12-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Too many cynics here. I am sure I have used the term and I mean exactly what Conor said -- if I like the card I will probably pay more than most people would for it, although not off the charts insane new world record wtf type price.
You say cynics....I say "seasoned pros"....doubtful any of us will buy a card from yepbg or 707 anytime soon.....
Old 09-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Scott Russell

I've bought from Levi, if his price is right to start it's great. Just very little negotiating room if you don't like the price.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Patrick N.

Default Cynics

A lot of cynics here, I see. "Paying strong" implies to me that there is a collector that desires a certain card(s) and will pay a price that sold at a nice price via auction/somewhat high-ish BIN for said card... i.e. They are not looking get a "fair" (mediocre) price and of course not a resale price (to
"flip") but want that card(s) without waiting for said card to be listed in an auction. That said, of course folks misuse / abuse that term.

Example: A few years ago I was dead set on completing a 1957 Topps Baseball Set in EXMT+/NM centered condition. I think it would be fair to say that the right card I would spend "strong" in that the right common for example I would pay close to book if the eye appeal/centering was right.

Last edited by mintacular; 09-12-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
A lot of cynics here, I see. "Paying strong" implies to me that there is a collector that desires a certain card(s) and will pay a price that sold at a good price via auction/high-ish BIN for said card i.e. they are not looking for a "fair" (mediocre) price or resale price (see flipper) but want that card without going through the ups and downs of an auction.

That said, of course folks misuse / abuse that term
My mom always told me....actions speak louder than words. Just saying you pay strong doesn't necessarily make it so.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:32 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

The one time that I used the debated lingo (in a BST thread I started), what I intended to express was that I would pay substantially more than current VCP for a card that was not readily available. Maybe I would have gotten more responses if I had articulated that more clearly. I ended up paying "very strong" for a card that I found outside of Net54.

Last edited by Andrew1975; 09-13-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Jeff

Default different take

I collect wrappers primarily and I would "pay strong" for wrappers I need. Since there is no accurate price guide for wrappers, "paying strong" to me means that I will pay what you want for the wrapper with little negotiating, unless it is off the charts. I am in no way trying to low ball anyone and would share what knowledge I have of recent wrapper purchases to arrive at a value. In several cases, I have paid OVER what the seller wanted in order to be fair. Without a price guide, values are difficult to ascertain.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Robert Williams

Fair enough.....I think what the OP was getting at was when someone says they "pay strong" but in actuality pay weak. Guess not everyone fits that mold.