NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default How do you Upgrade?

Posted By: Jason L

Just a general collecting bahavior poll...
I was wondering how all you set builders out there upgrade your sets?

--Do you wait until you have a complete set before you'll buy a better conditioned card?
--Do you buy a better conditioned card if the opportunity pops up, even if you're not done with the complete set?
--How many "grades" higher does a card need to be for you to consider upgrading it?
--Will you sell the card to be replaced before you upgrade it? or will you part with more cash first and then sell the uglier example?
--Do you generally look to upgrade all your sets, or are there some complete sets you just want complete, and don't care about condition? (assuming there is enough of a population of cards out there)

no right or wrong answers, obviously - and I know alot will depend upon the sets you're talking about, but just thought it might be an interesting conversation topic.
As always, I could be wrong about that!

I have never really completed a pre-war set, per se, but I think I would be one to buy opportunistically, if I cared to upgrade anything...

Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hey,
Type card collectors can upgrade too? Don't leave us out. I generally will upgrade when I find a card from a set, or a pose from another set, that I want more..... I have had my E102 Cobby for about 9-10 yrs.....but the other night I saw the same pose on a rarer set and went for it.....so, upgrade it is....

Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I didn't intentionally ignore you folks...I just don't fully understand how you operate.

Honestly though, how is that new Cobb an upgrade? It's in another set, isn't it? Or do you mean that new Cobb is a better player than your previous card that represented the issue in your set?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

Do you wait until you have a complete set before you'll buy a better conditioned card? NO

Do you buy a better conditioned card if the opportunity pops up, even if you're not done with the complete set? YES

How many "grades" higher does a card need to be for you to consider upgrading it? 2

Will you sell the card to be replaced before you upgrade it? NO

Or will you part with more cash first and then sell the uglier example? YES, THIS IS AT LEAST HOW I DO IT

Old 06-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

I'm pretty much in line with Adam's response, although since a most of my cards are lower grade, I will upgrade merely based on appearance as opposed to needing it to be "X" amount of grades higher.

-Alan

Old 06-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

The Cobb leaning pose is on several sets. The E102 card is kind of scarce due to folks hanging onto them (imo). The T216 Cobby-leaning, with that back, is very rare. I have only seen 1-2 others and they were in deplorable condition. This "Never go Out" variety is on very thin stock and is very high grade for the issue (although technically only in a 2 holder). Since I prefer true rarity in my collecting it's a giant upgrade for me....I am not sure anyone understands us type collectors >>..

Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator

you upgraded the image/pose across issues?
it's not just a case where you upgraded an issue, because of the front-back combination?
That is like 3-dimensional collecting!!

you are operating on a far higher level of complexity than I do, that is for certain!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

As long as I have one from the series, then yes, I will upgrade a pose. Also, how hard is it to find an E102? ...It's unusual for me to upgrade a pose but this T216, with this back, is unusual....Makes perfect sense to me...but probably only me.....
On this one card I upgraded soley due to the upgrade being 100x more rare (imo) and it being the same pose.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

Here's my answers:

1. No - pick upgrades up as I go.
2. Yes - I buy upgrades then sell off the dupes
3. 1 grade
4. No - Once I buy a card it stays in my collection until I upgrade
5. Only one set (T206) that I'm working on at this time, so its a constant upgrading process.

I focus more on my T206 Cleveland team set when it comes to upgrades & will buy only raw examples if they have rarer backs.

Good topic Jason. I'm kinda curious now as to other board members responses.

Jantz

Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

Leon...great pickup...I was eyeing that one and drooling all over myself! I didn't know the back was a tougher variation either...I thought you'd be going after the d303 Wags!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

I raised my snipe 3 times on the D303....and was underbidder at $7100'ish..... the other guy, who I have never seen before, must have really wanted it.....I was bummed but really didn't want to pay more than that....I am but a minnow in a sea of whales......

Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Although my "set" collecting is a little bit different, I upgrade my BB HOF RC set by seeking out an earlier card of each player than the one that I currently have and when I find one and purchase it, I sell the previous card that it replaces. I do not upgrade cards based on condition.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Outstanding upgrade. That Kotton is super rare and in nice shape considering the paper stock. You blasted this fish out of the water but know where you can send it to if you upgrade again. Congrats on the win!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

What is the cost for PSA to examine each card you submit for possible grade bump? Do they charge a set price or is it based on the value of the card? What is the difference between the cost for a reviewed and declined card and one that is reviewed and bumped (thus reholdered with new label).

Thanks

Mike

Old 06-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

1)If I have a card in less than PSA 8 I treat it the same as if I am missing it.
2)Would never sell a 7 before I bought an 8 or 9.
3)Generally keep 100 or so sets in play at a time--once I finish a set in psa 8 or better(71 sets) I let the set rest although occasionally with the smaller sets I try to upgrade to 9 or better or in some sets an all PSA 10 set.
4)Will deemphasize certain sets based on two considerations: 1)prices of the low pops spin out of control and I am bidding against Spence, Louchios etc. or 2)I have no reasonable hope of completing the set under my existing card budget(T206, T205).

Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Jim, you are my hero! 

Seriously, I upgrade based on presentation (looks).  Since my cards are all lower graded < 5, upgrading is fairly easy but not always possible, budget wise.  I will often upgrade a 2 for a nicer looking 2. 

What's that old addage, I never slept with a 10 but I slept with 5 2s in one night and that should count for something!

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

--Do you wait until you have a complete set before you'll buy a better conditioned card?

No then I would never buy any cards. I still haven't completed any pre-war sets but am just 2 cards away from the 1915 CJ.

--Do you buy a better conditioned card if the opportunity pops up, even if you're not done with the complete set?

Yes if I have the cash

--How many "grades" higher does a card need to be for you to consider upgrading it?

It depends on the value of the card. With the CJ set I want to upgrade any commons at least 2 grades generally, however with certain HOF or more expensive cards I will take what I can get.

--Will you sell the card to be replaced before you upgrade it? or will you part with more cash first and then sell the uglier example?

No I will hold onto the down grade until I have the upgrade in hand and have looked it over. I currently have an upgrade but it is in a PSA holder so I won't sell the lesser until it is in an SGC holder.

--Do you generally look to upgrade all your sets, or are there some complete sets you just want complete, and don't care about condition? (assuming there is enough of a population of cards out there)

I am working on 4 sets.
1914 Cracker Jack- I take whatever I can get but don't cactivaly chase it.
1915 Cracker Jack- Only need three cards to finish it and am upgraing in the process.
1916 Boston Store- I will take whatever I can get/find/afford.
T203 Baseball comics- I will take what I can get/find.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Danny Grimes

Leon sweet card, cmon upgrade that D303 Chase

I have set a marker nothing higher than a grade of 4, but if something comes up than thats a diffrent story. i wait till i have the better card then either dump or hold onto the previous.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Danny -- he already DID upgrade his D303 Chase -- about a year ago, if I recall!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Danny Grimes

dangit! sweet card