NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default I Agree!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...s-killing-game

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM
D@le Irv*n

I do as well, but it is not just limited to baseball, imo.

I think the same can be said (in a lot of cases) about those who are running businesses and companies, plus look at who we have running our Provinces, States and countries. It's sad and a friggin joke!

I know the changes I have seen at my work is unbelievable. Many supervisors, although they may have great educations, don't have a clue how to run a company nor how to treat their employees.

I won't get into it, but retiring early next summer can't come soon enough!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Kyle May

I think there is certainly a place for sabermetrics, but what has been lost is the balance of sabermetrics to actual field experience.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 08-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Or how about actually watching the game? I remember not too long ago I said that Bernie Williams was one of the most clutch hitters I ever saw. I watched him play every day for his entire career. Every day, every game. And then somebody came in with some absurdly inane statistic to try to prove to me, a guy who watched someone play every day, that I was wrong because of some obscure number.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:21 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I work in the philosophy of artificial intelligence, and my saying about AI is that the computer scientists miss the forest for the trees, while the philosophers miss the trees for the forest.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I read Moneyball a while back, and thought the whole thing was a lot of bunk. In the section about the 2002 draft, Beane did everything short of shout from the rooftops about how great Nick Swisher and Jeremy Brown were going to be. Swisher was OK, but the pick after him was Cole Hamels. Brown’s career consisted of 10 at bats, and the pick after him was Jon Lester. Then at the end, when it looked like Beane was going to the Red Sox and it talked about moves he was going to make, he would’ve gutted the core of a team that two years later, won the World Series. He did a lot of complaining about how the playoffs were a crapshoot, but the Yankees were just coming off of four championships in five years, and other small market teams (Braves, Twins, Marlins) were putting together successful playoff runs while Oakland kept getting bounced in the first round. There’s always luck involved, but when it’s happening to everyone but Oakland, there’s something besides that going on.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think the metrics work better for established big leaguers than for prospects. Until a guy has faced ML pitching for a while, you just don't know if he can hit the breaking stuff consistently.

I distrust almost any anecdotal assessment of a "clutch" hitter, sorry. Personal observation, however extensive, tends to be prone to a great deal of bias and subjectivity.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-09-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Ne@l K

I mostly agree. It certainly has a place in baseball, although it is given too much weight in some decisions.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think the metrics work better for established big leaguers than for prospects. Until a guy has faced ML pitching for a while, you just don't know if he can hit the breaking stuff consistently.

I distrust almost any anecdotal assessment of a "clutch" hitter, sorry. Personal observation, however extensive, tends to be prone to a great deal of bias and subjectivity.
If you didn't watch the games then there's nothing for you to distrust. I did watch them. It's the same as knowing who you don't want up in a big spot because you watched the guy play everyday. I wouldn't want Giancarlo Stanton up in the bottom of the 9th no matter how many home runs he hits or what a stat says. I can just tell he's going to strike out because I watch him every day.

Last edited by packs; 08-10-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

...on a side note, indirectly related to the subject I started:

In light of the way pitching is currently used, increase daily rosters to 30 and contract the two teams in Florida.

Because of the players' union,you could never contract teams without somehow maintaining the same total number of players.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-10-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Steve Birmingham

Moneyball - the book- struck me as being more about having a team that was consistently competitive on a small budget than about winning. That also assumes that a team that always has some chance will be more profitable than one that's hopeless.

Some of the new stats do seem to matter, but there's a lot of things in the game that aren't easily measured. The last three years of his career Don Baylor went to the world series with three different teams. Boston was 5th the year before and after (Although he was with them most of 87.
Minnesota, was 6th the year before, and 2nd the year after (he only played 20 games for them, but they only won by 2 ) The As were a good team, being 3rd in 87, and first again in 89.

How much influence did he have on those teams down the stretch? That's hard to put numbers to, but I think it's likely he had some.

Also hard to put numbers to is the group of players who are really pretty good, come to Boston and just don't do well at all, but are fine after they leave. Management? difficult fans? A wall that makes righthanders especially change their swing? difficult press? I've seen all that blamed. But there isn't really a stat for it.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Moneyball - the book- struck me as being more about having a team that was consistently competitive on a small budget than about winning. That also assumes that a team that always has some chance will be more profitable than one that's hopeless.

Some of the new stats do seem to matter, but there's a lot of things in the game that aren't easily measured. The last three years of his career Don Baylor went to the world series with three different teams. Boston was 5th the year before and after (Although he was with them most of 87.
Minnesota, was 6th the year before, and 2nd the year after (he only played 20 games for them, but they only won by 2 ) The As were a good team, being 3rd in 87, and first again in 89.

How much influence did he have on those teams down the stretch? That's hard to put numbers to, but I think it's likely he had some.

Also hard to put numbers to is the group of players who are really pretty good, come to Boston and just don't do well at all, but are fine after they leave. Management? difficult fans? A wall that makes righthanders especially change their swing? difficult press? I've seen all that blamed. But there isn't really a stat for it.
Baylor didn't do much of anything in those 20 games either. I think it's a huge stretch to think he had any real role in the Twins pennant drive. The year before with the Sox, totally different matter, he was a key player.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Baylor didn't do much of anything in those 20 games either. I think it's a huge stretch to think he had any real role in the Twins pennant drive. The year before with the Sox, totally different matter, he was a key player.

I was thinking more along the lines of being a good influence on the team overall, having an attitude of "I've been here before, just relax and enjoy it" is probably pretty big, but will never translate to any sort of stats.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Bill James disagrees with you. James believes one of the big flaws with WAR is it doesn't account for Clutch performance. WAR is based on theoretical wins and not actual wins. I agree with James, but if you are a fan of Mike Trout and Clayton Kershaw, you sure would want to ignore "clutch."
Old 08-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Bill James disagrees with you. James believes one of the big flaws with WAR is it doesn't account for Clutch performance. WAR is based on theoretical wins and not actual wins. I agree with James, but if you are a fan of Mike Trout and Clayton Kershaw, you sure would want to ignore "clutch."
I'm fine using clutch if it is based on a reasonable statistic and not a subjective factor.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of being a good influence on the team overall, having an attitude of "I've been here before, just relax and enjoy it" is probably pretty big, but will never translate to any sort of stats.
I guess. The old trope of he's good in the locker room, I don't know, I'm skeptical but I really don't know.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I guess. The old trope of he's good in the locker room, I don't know, I'm skeptical but I really don't know.
Yeah, it's always hard to tell, and maybe impossible to put any sort of number to.

All I really have is my own experience. I played on a Co-ed softball team my wifes company had one year. We had one player who thankfully left about halfway through. Good enough infielder, and about as good a hitter as most in slow pitch. Except he was constantly complaining about the women on the team. "She should have caught that throw! We should put someone else at first!" (He overthrew so badly Wilt Chamberlin wouldn't have had any chance at catching it. ) He left for a more competitive league .

Another player was an Olympic athlete. For real, even won gold in a team sport. She was pretty amazing, made anyone around her better - Like I could try a diving catch in the outfield because I knew for sure she was going to be backing me up. And the only time I heard any complaint was after she made a line drive type throw to the plate and said her shoulder hurt but it would be ok in a few minutes. Apparently she had a bad rotator cuff that she never got fixed. The throw was amazing too, only one other person on the team could have made it. The shoulder complaint was only after someone asked her if she was ok because she was rubbing her shoulder.

So which was better in the "locker room?" If I was putting a team together, I know who I'd choose first, even if the raw talent wasn't there.

Last edited by steve B; 08-12-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: fixed error
Old 08-15-2018, 07:02 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

+1 On the money.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.