NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-21-2016, 10:24 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default Rays in Cuba

Leaving out all politics (as per the rules), anyone else excited about the Rays VS Cuba game tomorrow?

They have been known as good baseball country, and am excited to see how they do against the Rays.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 AM

I think it's really cool. The world pretends a lot has changed, but many things continue to be the same. Throughout recent American history the game of baseball has bridged many gaps and elicited changes in our way of life that seemed to be greater than a game. And it's nice to see baseball paving diplomatic ways even today.

Last edited by packs; 03-21-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:37 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think it's really cool. The world pretends a lot has changed, but many things continue to be the same. Throughout recent American history the game of baseball has bridged many gaps and elicited changes in our way of life that seemed to be greater than a game. And it's nice to see baseball paving diplomatic ways even today.
Would be better if Cespedes/Abreu/jose fernandez were still on the Cuba team.....its like we get to pick off their best 20 guys and throw those guys to the side then play the remaining guys...and their country already much smaller population wise ...
Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Would be better if Cespedes/Abreu/jose fernandez were still on the Cuba team.....its like we get to pick off their best 20 guys and throw those guys to the side then play the remaining guys...and their country already much smaller population wise ...
Cespedes and Abreu were in their upper 20's when they finally came. Cespedes is now 30 and Abreu 29. Jose Fernandez defected in 2008 when he was still in H.S.. These three guys will have little affect on their team roster.

I do agree that their player poll isn't as large as the US, but it is essentially their All-Star team against a team that was just below .500 last year so it isn't like we are sending our All-Star team.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Cespedes and Abreu were in their upper 20's when they finally came. Cespedes is now 30 and Abreu 29. Jose Fernandez defected in 2008 when he was still in H.S.. These three guys will have little affect on their team roster.

I do agree that their player poll isn't as large as the US, but it is essentially their All-Star team against a team that was just below .500 last year so it isn't like we are sending our All-Star team.
im sure there are guys on the Rays that are over 25 years old and touching 30..not sure why you mention the ages of Cespedes an Abreu....and there are a bunch more like Chapman etc.

also there are many cuban prospects over in the U.S. that not famous yet like Cespedes that would be on that cuban team to make it a true all star team....so again we are facing a team minus their best 20 or so players...cant say its not a HUGE affect on their team roster and the population difference between the two countries is HUGE

plus Boxberger and Archer are all stars from last year..plus Longoria is on that team etc

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-21-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:33 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
These three guys will have little affect on their team roster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
team minus their best 20 or so players...cant say its not a HUGE affect on their team roster
See how I specifically mentioned the three players your brought up and said their effect is little. Then you add 17 players and say I can't say that isn't a "HUGE" affect. I never said that the defecting of players didn't have an effect I actually agreed that they had a small population.

The Ray's best player as ranked by ESPN is Chris Archer and he isn't starting in tomorrow's game and is ranked in 2015 as #43 in MLB. So again we aren't sending over our best. The only two all-stars the TBRays had last year were two pitchers.

We aren't sending our top 20 players so stop talking like we are sending our best players to a team that is deprived of all their Nation's best players. It isn't a fair argument.

In 1999 the Orioles lost in Baltimore 12-6 and won 3-2 in Cuba against the team. Obviously times have changed, but to assume that their small population vs America's talent poll makes it too lop sided to make it fun just doesn't work historically.

They still have a lot of young talent that hasn't been able to defect or are Cuban loyalists and I am looking forward to the game.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

"In 1999 the Orioles lost in Baltimore 12-6 and won 3-2 in Cuba against the team. Obviously times have changed, but to assume that their small population vs America's talent poll makes it too lop sided to make it fun just doesn't work historically.

They still have a lot of young talent that hasn't been able to defect or are Cuban loyalists and I am looking forward to the game".

Much less than in 1999. The impact of not sending all of our all stars (assuming not sending cubans) impacts us much less than taking away the top 20 players for cuba given the relative populations of the 2 countries and the lack of opportunities for some would be players if they didnt have to feed their family etc..

like i said...will be something to watch but i wish they had their best players werent picked off......plus age disparity between the two teams is probably pretty big as most of the major league caliber guys like you said in the late 20s are gone and in the U.S.... heck there is a Player on the RAys that played for Cuba 3 years ago....so we taking a top player from them and making him play against them...you dont see any former americans playing for cuba...not a level playing field

matt moore is reporting to start......saying that archer isnt starting means nothing and is a whole different argument..he will be there...thats the Rays choice...if all of the all stars were there maybe Kershaw doesnt start either...that would be an argument... the cubans cant choose for Chapman to play because hes in the U.S......the Rays can choose anyone to play

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-21-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:09 PM

The point of the game isn't to see whose team is better. I think it's the gesture that's important.

Last edited by packs; 03-21-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 AM

Default Coverage by ESPN

Granted, the names of the Cuban players are unknown to 99.9% of viewers, and I'll admit I was only able to see the last 3-4 innings of the game - but has there ever been another telecast by ESPN (or any other network) where there was virtually no mention of the players, very little commentary about the game on the field - all giving way to banter, interviews, opinions, comments about the greats of the game from the past 50 years, but no discussion of who made the sliding catch, hit the home run, etc.?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hufford View Post
Granted, the names of the Cuban players are unknown to 99.9% of viewers, and I'll admit I was only able to see the last 3-4 innings of the game - but has there ever been another telecast by ESPN (or any other network) where there was virtually no mention of the players, very little commentary about the game on the field - all giving way to banter, interviews, opinions, comments about the greats of the game from the past 50 years, but no discussion of who made the sliding catch, hit the home run, etc.?
the center fielder for cuba replaced Cespedes when he defected is what they said in the game...he not nearly as good

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-23-2016 at 08:56 AM.