NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Andy H.

Default Whose biography would you like to read?

I love reading about baseball, it's history, and its players. Just finished the Moe Berg book and thought about other baseball players’ biographies I would love to read.

I'm just curious... who are some of the pre-war and post-war players you would love to read about?

Andy
Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Jason Presley

In no particular order, I'd love to read more about (nothing less than 400 pages, preferably):

Masanori Murakami
Don Newcombe
Randy Bass
Rube Foster
Luis Aparicio
Martin Dihigo
Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Jason Presley

---double post---

Last edited by DaClyde; 09-20-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Rube Waddell would probably be a great read! I have also always been a bit fascinated with the early Native American players like Louis Sockalexis, Chief Bender, Chief Meyers, etc. I know there have been a few Sockalexis books over the past 10-15 years but I don't recall seeing a Bender or Meyers biolgraphy.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Rhett,

This is a great book about Rube Waddell:

http://www.amazon.com/Rube-Waddell-B...6549747&sr=1-1

It is a great story and extremely well written. I know the author. He told me the story wrote itself. But he did a great job on the book. It is one of my favorite Dead Ball era biographies.

Let me give two more that are great stories and extremely well written:

Tris Speaker:
http://www.amazon.com/Tris-Speaker-R...6549882&sr=1-1

Hal Chase:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Prince-B...6549924&sr=1-2

Cy
Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Andy H.

Nice, I may have to check those out
Old 09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Fischer-Chicago Maroons. Only Old Judge player that we have been unable to find much about
Old 09-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Dan Brown

Roger Bresnahan
Dan Brouthers
Joe Kelley
Ban Johnson
Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy2009 View Post
Rhett,

This is a great book about Rube Waddell:

http://www.amazon.com/Rube-Waddell-B...6549747&sr=1-1

It is a great story and extremely well written. I know the author. He told me the story wrote itself. But he did a great job on the book. It is one of my favorite Dead Ball era biographies.

Let me give two more that are great stories and extremely well written:

Tris Speaker:
http://www.amazon.com/Tris-Speaker-R...6549882&sr=1-1

Hal Chase:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Prince-B...6549924&sr=1-2

Cy
I second the recommendation on the Chase book...really well done.
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM

Arthur "Bugs" Raymond
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Chris Wassmuth

The Moe Berg book was awesome! Cobb by Al Stump was great as well. I'm currently reading the new one on Roy Campanella.

I would like to read more on Germany Schaefer, Bresnahan, Dizzy Dean, Zack Wheat, Speaker, and Branch Rickey (to name a few).
Old 09-20-2011, 05:21 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Cincinnati Reds

David Pierson of the 1876 Cincinnati Reds (not his brother Dick)
Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Pat Gillick
Pete Grey
Fred Hutchinson
Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Default SABR Biographies

For those so inclined to get a brief 2-5 page summary bio of deadball era players - including some of the less well known players - I highly recommend SABR's books including Deadball Stars of the AL; Deadball Stars of the NL and the final book on Stars of the Negro Leagues. It is fun to read the bio's of many of the players captured in the T206 set.

In addition, The Glory of Their Times was a phenomenal read. I also highly recommend the audio version. Words sometimes can't capture the essence of their love for the game. Hearing the players tell stories in their own words was really captivating and added another undefinable dimension to their motivations. I don't think I will ever underestimate Hans Lobert's love for the game after listening to him retell his stories.

ZWheat
Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Dan Bretta

I'd like to read a good book on Eddie Collins, but amazingly I don't think anyone has ever written one.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM
John

Charlie Comiskey - besides his role as cheapskate owner, my understanding is he did help contribute positively to the game and Jim Abbott - a good pitcher nevermind any disability.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
David Linardy

Eddie Cicotte, Pumpsie Green, Harry Hooper
Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Rube Waddell would probably be a great read! I have also always been a bit fascinated with the early Native American players like Louis Sockalexis, Chief Bender, Chief Meyers, etc. I know there have been a few Sockalexis books over the past 10-15 years but I don't recall seeing a Bender or Meyers biolgraphy.

Hi Rhett,

I recommend these two books to you:

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Big-Kid-T.../ref=pd_sim_b1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Chief-Benders-.../ref=pd_sim_b6

Both very strong books!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 AM
J.O.N

Dave Draveky.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.

Last edited by Jcfowler6; 09-21-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Three Finger Brown.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Bruce Babcock

Moe Berg was a great read. Currently reading the bio of Walter Johnson after meeting the author, his grandson Hank Thomas, at the NSCC in Chicago.

Choo Choo Coleman might be good.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffda51 View Post
Moe Berg was a great read. Currently reading the bio of Walter Johnson after meeting the author, his grandson Hank Thomas, at the NSCC in Chicago.

Choo Choo Coleman might be good.
In addition to writing the Big Train. Hank also listened to, edited and recorded some of the interviews from The Glory of Their Times. Yes, Hank Thomas, member of our Net 54 board did that. He would never toot his own horn. But doing that tedious piece of work is one of the greatest contributions to the history of Pre-War baseball. To think that these classic recordings easily could have been thrown away would have been a travesty to the history of baseball because now we get a first hand impression of how the game was played.

I do give the main credit to Larry Ritter. Hank and I have talked about this at length. I truly believe that Larry Ritter should be in the Hall of Fame because of these recordings. Larry also wrote some other great books. But to actually hear the stories of men who played major league baseball in the first decade of the 1900s is amazing. If you do not own this four disc set, contact Hank Thomas and get one. It is THE best baseball book/recording/video out there, bar none. When you hear Smoky Joe Wood, Sam Crawford, Jimmy Austin, Hans Lobert (these are my favorite two of the group) and others, you will really get excited and, if you are like me, you will want to go out and buy more Pre-War baseball cards.

I have told many people about these recordings. But if you don't own them, you are definitely short-sighting your enjoyment into Pre-War baseball.

Cy
Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Andy Garden

Cy,

I owe you a thank you for pointing me towards the recordings. So amazing to hear the voices of the legends and players we collect. The love these guys had for the game really comes out in their voices. I have listened to the recordings countless times. Thank you, Cy.

Best,

Andy
Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Robert Williams

To me, Satchell Paige's biography would be a good read. All he had to endure due to segragation, and the fact he finally made the big leagues at such an old age....
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Brian T.

Loving this thread. Already ordered 2 books mentioned here and am looking forward to reading them!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 PM

I'd love to read a book on Wally Pipp. I'd love to read the story about that famous day he sat out and know how he felt about his headache and what kind of relationship, if any, he had with Gehrig.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Thanks, Cy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy2009 View Post
In addition to writing the Big Train. Hank also listened to, edited and recorded some of the interviews from The Glory of Their Times. Yes, Hank Thomas, member of our Net 54 board did that. He would never toot his own horn. But doing that tedious piece of work is one of the greatest contributions to the history of Pre-War baseball. To think that these classic recordings easily could have been thrown away would have been a travesty to the history of baseball because now we get a first hand impression of how the game was played.

I do give the main credit to Larry Ritter. Hank and I have talked about this at length. I truly believe that Larry Ritter should be in the Hall of Fame because of these recordings. Larry also wrote some other great books. But to actually hear the stories of men who played major league baseball in the first decade of the 1900s is amazing. If you do not own this four disc set, contact Hank Thomas and get one. It is THE best baseball book/recording/video out there, bar none. When you hear Smoky Joe Wood, Sam Crawford, Jimmy Austin, Hans Lobert (these are my favorite two of the group) and others, you will really get excited and, if you are like me, you will want to go out and buy more Pre-War baseball cards.

I have told many people about these recordings. But if you don't own them, you are definitely short-sighting your enjoyment into Pre-War baseball.

Cy
...and you're right that Larry does belong in the writer's wing of the HOF. Fifteen years later, it still amazes me that I, along with my co-producer/ editor, Neal McCabe, got the chance to do the audio version of "The Glory of Their Times," and to replicate with Larry what he did with the players by recording his experiences in putting the book together many years earlier. What a loss it would have been not to have gotten his recollections on tape, the edited versions of which make up his introduction to the set and to each player segment, before he passed away just a few years later. The hand of fate was heavy on that project from the beginning, no question about it. While I'm at it, and on the subject of baseball books, let me put in a plug for my friend Neal McCabe's sequel to his definitive work of baseball photography, "Baseball's Golden Age: The Photographs of Charles M. Conlon," the new one titled "The Big Show: Charles M. Conlon's Golden Age Baseball Photographs." Just out, "The Big Show" is every bit as stunning as the original, both the photos and Neal's research on their subjects.
Hank Thomas

Last edited by Hankphenom; 09-21-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBoyerCollector View Post
I love reading about baseball, it's history, and its players. Just finished the Moe Berg book and thought about other baseball players’ biographies I would love to read.

I'm just curious... who are some of the pre-war and post-war players you would love to read about?

Andy
I used to visit my dad in New York when I was a young kid, from Florida, and during the summer I hung out at the library reading sports books.
Moe Bergs was one of the first one I read, loved it.
My dad bought me 'Eight Men Out' and that's still one of my favorites.
I tend to go with the vintage baseball books that took place around the turn of the 20 century.

Oddly, I'm a diehard Red Sox fan but my dad got me 'The Bronx Zoo' when it came out and I loved. I became a huge Sparky Lyle fan.

These days, I'd like to read a book about 1960's baseball- a well done book about the whole decade, not just Mays/Mantle stuff that's been done to death.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm about a third of the way in on "The Big Bam"..I've read Robert Creamer's Babe Ruth bio and just picked this one up at a garage sale the other day for a quarter. Pretty good so far.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Hi Rhett,

I recommend these two books to you:

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Big-Kid-T.../ref=pd_sim_b1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Chief-Benders-.../ref=pd_sim_b6

Both very strong books!

Cheers,
Blair

Chief Benders burden is amazing, I've read it twice and probably will again. The Moe Berg 'The catcher was a spy' was amazing. To think he just jumped in as a catcher and his first game doing so was against Ruth, Gehrig ect is mind blowing. It was also a very very depressing story when you read his life after WWII, he really became a lost vagabond living a charade with nothing but his name.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazzy View Post
TCobb by Al Stump was great as well.
Take Stump's books with a grain of salt. He's since been proven a fraud and a charlatan when it comes to Cobb.

For me, I'd love to read a good bio of Rogers Hornsby, Lefty Grove, Cy Young, and Hal Newhouser.

Tabe
Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 PM
J.O.N

What's the story behind Stump?

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
What's the story behind Stump?
He embellished some things, possibly many things. He also sold many items over the years that he claimed were from Cobb/Cobbs estate and was proven to not be true so many of the quotes and stories in his book could be fabricated and sadly many most likely are.

edited to ad a link-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...players-legacy

Last edited by ChiefBenderForever; 09-24-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: adding a link
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 AM
J.O.N

edited to ad a link-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...players-legacy[/QUOTE]

Interesting article. So most of what I have heard about Ty Cobb is untrue?

He wasn't a racest? he wasn't disliked by other players?

Is there a book I could read that would be more factual about Ty?

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Oh, he was disliked by his fellow players. Most likely a racist. Almost surely did some terrible things in his lifetime. But he also wasn't the completely evil POS that Stump painted him as.

Much like the recent "The Big Bam" did for Babe Ruth scholarship, Ty Cobb could use a new, authoritative biography. Much of what has been written about Cobb in the last 50 years used Cobb's autobiography (written with Stump) and Stump's second Cobb book as sources. Neither is credible. An all-new book is called for.

Tabe