NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Default PAYPAL new deal "SUCKS'

Posted By: Bobby

I have been a PAYPAL customer fo rmany years now and I just logged in to make a payment and they have this new thing. They have put a limitation on my account until I do the following:

1. Enter Expanded Use Number for MasterCard Card
2. Fax documentation
3. Change Password
4. Change Security Questions and Answers
5. Confirm Location
6. Provide Business Information
7. Provide Proof Of Shipping
8. Set your Credit Check Address

#1 is especially brutal because they do a charge to your credit card for $1.50 and there is a 4 digit number you have to enter from your statement. My statement is not due for another few weeks and I can't make a payment till then.

#7 is real bad when you try to provide it there is nothing there to enter the shipping information.

I just think it is bull that they go ahead and freeze your money with out even giving you a heads up on what is about to happen. If I knew this I would of just cleared out the account.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

they didnt do that to my account - what is the reason for the requested info?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

i have no idea why it has happened I have no disputes or ever have with Paypal. It is a new update to the system and you will probable have to go through the same procedure eventually.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Bobby, are you sure that's not a fraudster who sent that email? I received a fake paypal update request recently....

Old 10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I receive far more than one paypal scam a day. I deleted them and don't even think twice. Sort of a normal email function. Of course if you are concerned open a new browser and login from there...If paypal has an issue with you, or major changes, you will know. ....probably a scam..

Old 10-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

I got a similar email from Paypal saying they would freeze my account unless I provided them with information about my account....

I signed into PayPal directly and there were no problems, which means the email was most likely a scam. A pretty convincing one.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

If you accessed Paypal from an email it was a scam. Log on at the site itself and I doubt if they will put you through what you've described. I just logged on and nothing of the sort appeared.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott T

You can also forward the email to spoof@paypal.com. They will, in turn, send you an email letting you know if the email is legitimate or not.

Scott

Old 10-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

I did not go to a place from my email I went directly from my browser like I always do. I am fully aware of the scams and never go to the links provided in there.

Furthermore one of the tasks is to print out a fax cover sheet that has a barcode and you need to send it to them with a copy of your drivers license.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

a few months back. Held my account hostage. Bunch of crap. Someone filed a non-receipt complaint one day, received the cards the next and on the same day retracted the complaint but it took TWO MONTHS nearly to get my account reinstated. Fortunately, for just this type of BS reason, I have 2-3 paypal accounts. It was because of a dispute. You must have a dispute.....

Old 10-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

I have seen ebay do this as well.

They have been getting slam by the media for their lack of security, so they have responded with such an extreme force its not even funny.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

Has the original credit card listed with PayPal expired?

Maybe you just need to renew card information with them. That happened to me.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Now after spending the past hour on the phone waiting for and speaking with a person they have done this because of the following:

Oct. 22, 2006: We have observed activity in this account that is unusual or potentially high risk.

I asked what since I have been a member in good standing for more then 3 years. An Ebay powerseller with almost 3000 transactions. She was telling me that payments recieved where large and they want to verify that I am not selling counterfeit cards. I only sell graded cards for about 99% of all my sales and they have been verified by a 3rd party grading system. She has submitted a claim and it takes up to 24 hours to process and who knows when I will have access to my money again.

So the bottom is if you sell cards and use Ebay don't be surprised if one day you log in and have to go through the same process.....this really sucks

Old 10-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

If only ebay/paypal were as concerned about folks who actually DO sell fake cards.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I never leave any money in PayPal for more than a day or two for exactly that reason. Anyone can file a claim - grounded or not. I xfer it to my regular bank account within a day or so. The only time I leave money in there is if I'm thinking I'll use it within the next few days and it's less than $100.

I've heard it both ways - that PayPal can go through and hit your related bank account, and that they can't. More people seem to think they can't reach your account because of a claim or whatever, so I don't keep my money in PP at all.

One other thing PP is very handy for though. A few of my siblings also have it, and it's wonderful for kicking in your share of parents' anniversary gift, or whatever you owe for. That way you take care of it right away and don't forget about it.

J

Old 10-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I use to send money to ex since I don't do whole lot of card buying. I do keep a fair amount of money parked there becuase the interest rate is nice. If I am selling something, I will remove my money from the account so that if something does happen, they can't freeze it.

I just really wish there were a viable alternative to PayPal. I'm surprised CitiCorp or one of the other large financial instituions hasn't jumped in and tried to get in on the action.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Bobby- I had Ebay within the last year put me through the same routine. I had to scan pictures of me holding my cards I sold proving to them I actually owned them. Also had to send a scanned copy of my drivers license to validate my name. Was working with an Ebay representative for about a week on the whole fiasco. I think what raised a red flag was the value of the cards I sold.
They were not $100 dollar cards if you get the picture.
Ebay & Paypal are basically one, so this sounds like its probably similiar to what I went through but like everyone has mentioned, cover your butt and make sure its not a scam 1st.

Tony

Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Definetly not a scam...talked to them directly and I know the difference. Just makes no sense because I have been selling cards as high as $5K with no problems until now. I did not get an email it;s when I logged into the account to make a payment when I was changed to a limited access. But the things they make you do are ridiculous above and beyond.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

And this is why I am proud to say I do not have a paypal account. Money orders or credit cards work just as well and there isn't a need to hand out personal info to a third party. Every time that info goes out, that's one more place that computer-based criminals can latch on to run their next scam. And, I can't hink of an instance where I lost out on a purchase for want of a paypal account.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...you might've lost out on a sale.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

.....you would loose any $'s in selling if you are selling prewar cards. if you are selling griffey rc's then you better take paypal.

as a buyer, if a seller has a card i want....i would pay in cash, pesos, acorns, etc.....whatever the seller wants.

do you think mastro, lelands, and rea are loosing money because they don't accept paypal payments? obviously the answer is no.

prewar cards are liquid, if a particular buyer won't bid because of no paypal there are a line of other bidders that will.

i understand taking paypal as a convenience, but it's not needed unless you are selling shiny junk.

my $.02

Old 10-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

And, quite honestly, if you (or me) as a buyer can't come up with a few dollars, pesos, acorns, etc. + .95 for a money order or just the money needed to write a check, maybe that should be a check on how much we're spending. I mean, even less than ten years ago, the vintage market did very well, thank you very much, on cash, checks, and credit cards and while paypal does add a measure of convenience (and cost), if it folded like Enron tomorrow, would anyone really fail to re-adjust to the "old" system?