NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2018, 03:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Actually, a single pinhole at SGC would normally grade a 1.5 Fair. PSA has it as a 1 Poor.

My guess is that there was some filling of the holes, which would then be an alteration. You should be able to get the new grader's notes or call them and ask. You seem to think everyone on this board knows exactly what you and SGC are both thinking at the same time. We don't. Call SGC and find out.

If you wrote, "Don't slab unless numerical graded" then SGC should not have slabbed your card, but still charged you the fee. Maybe you wrote it wrong or they read it wrong. People make mistakes. As was said, it costs the same either way. If you don't like them in the slabs, they're easy to remove.

And yes, you're flipping out for no reason. Most eBay sellers will consider someone asking for a partial refund a scammer. That's why I recommended that you don't do that. You should calm down. This isn't the US Open Center Court and I did not penalize you for a game and a point.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Could be a filled pinhole

Any raw card, or graded card purchase is a roll of the dice. I've had graded cards come back as trim, trimmed cards come back graded

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-09-2018, 03:37 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I agree that the OP took a big risk buying raw...and that the cards are still great cards. And I’m blown away by Pat’s research...but, I know SGC doesn’t automatically grade pin holes with an A. I can assure you Mr. Grove has a hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:45 PM
Banned

call SGC and pose your questions to them about the “A” grade and why they slabbed it when you apparently asked them not to. whining on a message board is much more satisfying, I guess.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Who's whining? You? Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
call SGC and pose your questions to them about the “A” grade and why they slabbed it when you apparently asked them not to. whining on a message board is much more satisfying, I guess.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Man, people really channeling their own stuff into my words. Can you point out to me where i acted outrageous? Some people take any opportunity to get on their high horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
You’re acting outrageous man. You bought a raw card and it graded lower than expected. Disappointing but not really a big deal. As for the A vs 1, I’m surprised you don’t know that any alteration, including pinholes, should get an A and not a numerical grade. I believe this is the policy for both psa and sgc. And going off on people who are calling you out on your nonsense is ridiculous.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 09-09-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Man, people really channeling their own stuff into my words. Can you point out to me where i acted outrageous? Some people take any opportunity to get on their high horse.
The tone of pretty much every one of your posts in here is outrageous. You're coming off like a petulant child, and that's why people are taking the piss. Not trying to be mean, but you should really re-read this thread and pretend someone else wrote your posts.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Can a person be annoyed? Petulant child? Give me a break. You reread my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
The tone of pretty much every one of your posts in here is outrageous. You're coming off like a petulant child, and that's why people are taking the piss. Not trying to be mean, but you should really re-read this thread and pretend someone else wrote your posts.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:34 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
FWIW it looks like Beckett gave the Wilson a 4 in a raw review before
it was "cleaned up" a little.

Attachment 328148

Attachment 328141Attachment 328142

Attachment 328143Attachment 328144

Attachment 328145

Attachment 328146
From these photos there appears to be a small chunk missing in the white border of the card on the right side. A few inches above the Goudey copyright. That along with the corners being a little soft, make this card in my opinion a 4. Nothing wrong with a 4 though. Solid grade for a Goudey, especially a nice centered one.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Steve Birmingham

From my experience, SGC is pretty good about answering questions. This card is also a 4 but looks better. The only real problem I saw was a tiny flake of surface off the top left corner. Less than the amount I've seen worn off corners on other 4s.

I asked at the Shriners show a few years ago why it was a 4. It took the guy at the booth very little time to find the tiny wrinkle about halfway up the left side. So small it doesn't quite reach the line around the picture.

The other couple grades I asked about were similar, some small hard to see thing I'd missed. Overall, the experience made me better at examining my cards before sending them.

"A" isn't always altered. Of the few cards I've had rejected, one had factory but very rough cuts top and bottom, another didn't make the minimum size.
With the amount of space between the card and gasket on the Speaker, I'd bet it's undersize. Undersize can be factory, but I don't think any grading company will grade stuff that's undersize with a number. I think that's mostly because most collectors associate undersize with trimmed, and don't understand the difference between a factory cut edge and a trimmed edge. Another of my mistakes was a card trimmed on all four sides, that was full size. I just plain missed the trimming while I was looking for which cards to send in.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

it does appear the newer SGC grades are getting good results at auction (same as what PSA holders seem to be getting).

As far as pinholes A, 1, 1.5...i always thought as those cards all in the work of art category......the grade part doesnt really matter...many As go for more than 1.5s etc....its just how the card looks to you......it doesnt bother me at all if there are different grading criteria with 2 companies on the A-1.5 ...
Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

K, spoke to Peter at SGC who spoke to the grader who remembered my T3 Speaker very clearly. He said in the pinholes there is a tiny bit of blue color/paint so this is treated as Altered. I surmise that this was paint transferred from wherever it was pinned up at some point. So no trimming or anything else which would have bothered me much more. Anyways, super happy with this card as I think it's one of the most attractive in the hobby!

As far as the Hack Wilson, he couldn't offer any info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
From my experience, SGC is pretty good about answering questions. This card is also a 4 but looks better. The only real problem I saw was a tiny flake of surface off the top left corner. Less than the amount I've seen worn off corners on other 4s.

I asked at the Shriners show a few years ago why it was a 4. It took the guy at the booth very little time to find the tiny wrinkle about halfway up the left side. So small it doesn't quite reach the line around the picture.

The other couple grades I asked about were similar, some small hard to see thing I'd missed. Overall, the experience made me better at examining my cards before sending them.

"A" isn't always altered. Of the few cards I've had rejected, one had factory but very rough cuts top and bottom, another didn't make the minimum size.
With the amount of space between the card and gasket on the Speaker, I'd bet it's undersize. Undersize can be factory, but I don't think any grading company will grade stuff that's undersize with a number. I think that's mostly because most collectors associate undersize with trimmed, and don't understand the difference between a factory cut edge and a trimmed edge. Another of my mistakes was a card trimmed on all four sides, that was full size. I just plain missed the trimming while I was looking for which cards to send in.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 09-10-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
You’re acting outrageous man. You bought a raw card and it graded lower than expected. Disappointing but not really a big deal. As for the A vs 1, I’m surprised you don’t know that any alteration, including pinholes, should get an A and not a numerical grade. I believe this is the policy for both psa and sgc. And going off on people who are calling you out on your nonsense is ridiculous.
I would argue if he had gotten it in hand and disagreed with the grade then yes a refund would be in order. But to get it in hand, like the card and submit it pretty much puts the onus on him, not Probstein.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Just got back another small batch of mostly nonsports. Once again, very consistent grading, but just brutal, in most cases a full grade lower than I expected. Perhaps SGC is trying to rebrand itself as a stricter grader, and if they succeed I suppose the market will take that into account when assessing cards in the new holders. Anyone remember the mythical PSA "grader of death"? I feel like I ran into him again haha. I think the flips look fine by the way. And again, they went the extra mile and graded cards that PSA had kicked back.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-12-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Just got back another small batch of mostly nonsports. Once again, very consistent grading, but just brutal, in most cases a full grade lower than I expected. Perhaps SGC is trying to rebrand itself as a stricter grader, and if they succeed I suppose the market will take that into account when assessing cards in the new holders. Anyone remember the mythical PSA "grader of death"? I feel like I ran into him again haha. I think the flips look fine by the way. And again, they went the extra mile and graded cards that PSA had kicked back.
Yup, my thoughts too.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I suppose this could be good for SGC but not sure if being too tight helps those who are submitting. Probably easier to sell a card that is graded too harshly than one that is not but if both PSA and SGC are tightening up that does not leave people much of a place to turn.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Anson

Overall, it will shift the population distribution to the left. I'm curious how they will address reholdering.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

I've always thought, since I joined the site back in 2016, that SGC graded cards more "tough" than PSA.

I am not sure how many do it, but I remember reading of one on here who purchases SGC cards then resubmits them to PSA looking for a higher grade.

The last one, IIRC, was successful where an SGC 5, for example, came back a 6 or higher from PSA. $$$