NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Jeff F0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
What auction house is aware of your max bid price?
It wasn’t a max bid. It was a straight bid. The opening bid was like $5,000 but I bid a straight bid of $25000. It was a card that would likely end around there that I really wanted to win. Didn’t end up winning though.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2018, 10:49 AM
j.oe b.

A couple months ago I listed a PSA1.5 #149 Ruth on the BST for $1800 shipped. Didn't get a single PM on it. Sent it to PWCC to sell for me and it ended around $2300 or so and I ended up getting about $2100 from PWCC. No shilling was involved.

Last edited by jmb; 07-23-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
you may be the only one who find this funny! you and maybe jerry seinfeld who loves to overpay for things.
His story referenced that he big strong and early, not that he overpayed.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
His story referenced that he big strong and early, not that he overpayed.
I stand corrected sam
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
What auction house is aware of your max bid price?
yeah, yikes
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcountry View Post
Sometimes when I really want to win a card, I will bid high right at the start in hopes of discouraging others from getting in on it. Idk if it works, but I’ve done it, even with pwcc. In fact, one time I bid so high with my first bid that the auction house (not an eBay seller) called and asked if I made a mistake. Lol.

Jeff

OMG a hobby vet that doesn't snipe for every bid they place. LOL

What is wrong with you??? Haha

I have done this many times with great results. I take heat every time I say it but the most risky bid of all is the nuclear snipe because everyone is hip to the idea that the most serious bids generally come at the end and so consignors can more easily fit in with a final snipe bid to protect their item.

On a side note I was typing this first part up and took a call from a client and we ended up discussing an EBAY item he wanted to win and he said I might just bid right now and try and bomb them into submission before the end. Haha.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Jeff F0y

Yep! It's just my way of trying to narrow the bidding pool. If someone sees the item already has a high bid, they may be more likely to pass on by. But if they see a bargain, they'll likely bid or set a snipe (if its eBay).
Old 07-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Sometimes when I really want to win a card, I will bid high right at the start in hopes of discouraging others from getting in on it. Idk if it works, but I’ve done it, even with pwcc. In fact, one time I bid so high with my first bid that the auction house (not an eBay seller) called and asked if I made a mistake. Lol.

Jeff
I've done this with an AH that allows bidding to jump to specific levels. IMO there are certain price points that if you occupy that level it can discourage additional bidding. I've found that to be especially true when the bid increments change as the price goes up. I am not sure how well that works with eBay since you can't jump levels. Besides, I just get too annoyed watching the weevils bore away at my maximum price if I go all-in on eBay with an early bid. I'd rather snipe what I want to spend and take my chances. FWIW, I would never leave a scorched earth bid with PWCC, even on a snipe, due to all of the shilling allegations and activity reported on this and other boards.

Oh, and just so I won't get criticized for not condemning shilling: shilling sucks and shill bidders should be castrated with dull butter knives dipped in battery acid.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-23-2018, 01:02 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Yep! It's just my way of trying to narrow the bidding pool. If someone sees the item already has a high bid, they may be more likely to pass on by. But if they see a bargain, they'll likely bid or set a snipe (if its eBay).

I only use one Ebay ID and it is very easy to figure out who people are based on the feedback number and so if they realize it is someone serious that can help too.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Anson

I don't think it's ok for major auction houses to shill. But again, I can always vote with my wallet. I don't feel like I've had any of my PWCC purchases artificially inflated. Maybe I'm not bidding on the super high-dollar stuff either.

So, my question is.....if a company is obviously shilling, is the purpose of this thread to:

1. inform members to be careful when bidding on items from PWCC
2. put a sour taste in everyone's mouth about PWCC to eliminate some of the competition
3. hope someone feels empowered enough and thinks there's a case to actually go after PWCC directly

Not trying to stir the pot. I'm just curious at what point we write off all companies due to a post that ends up getting smeared all over the board. Are there any reputable auction houses that haven't had any questionable transactions?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I definitely put in large opening bids to reduce my competition on lots I really want with the AHs that allow you to put in a straight bid. To me it is simply a strategy to eliminate people who might be looking for a bargain or where it might not be their top priority.

As a side question, with the AHs that do not allow you to put in straight bids (Heritage, REA for instance), would you consider it unethical to have a friend (not the consignor!) who has no desire to win the lot, bid you up on purpose to in essence make your bid a straight bid?

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I definitely put in large opening bids to reduce my competition on lots I really want with the AHs that allow you to put in a straight bid. To me it is simply a strategy to eliminate people who might be looking for a bargain or where it might not be their top priority.

As a side question, with the AHs that do not allow you to put in straight bids (Heritage, REA for instance), would you consider it unethical to have a friend (not the consignor!) who has no desire to win the lot, bid you up on purpose to in essence make your bid a straight bid?

DJ
So in essence, you'd be shilling your own bid to a price that you're willing to pay? IE bidding against yourself in an auction? LOL. I think that's perfectly fine.

Last edited by bensie; 07-24-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

I can understand as a practical matter wanting to lock up a bid level given the way AH increments work. I am not understanding the psychology of thinking you're scaring someone off a card, like a dog marking his territory. I could see the opposite effect -- someone interested in a card sees high early prices and thinks he's underestimated the value and becomes willing to bid more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-24-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I can understand as a practical matter wanting to lock up a bid level given the way AH increments work. I am not understanding the psychology of thinking you're scaring someone off a card, like a dog marking his territory. I could see the opposite effect -- someone interested in a card sees high early prices and thinks he's underestimated the value and becomes willing to bid more.
Told before but, a long time ago, in a public/private auction I bid 8k straight as the first bid (*or the 2nd I forget) and the opening bid was 1k. That was about the first or second day of the auction as I recall. I won this lot for my 8k plus juice and was happy. They were sold with my first collection sale.

Last edited by Leon; 07-24-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

"You're."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
It might work for a card that is auctioned off frequently such as 50s-60s Topps. Say a card sells in the 400-500 range. Place a bid that would have to be topped by a bid over 500 and hope people will just wait until the next one shows up in a couple weeks.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It might work for a card that is auctioned off frequently such as 50s-60s Topps. Say a card sells in the 400-500 range. Place a bid that would have to be topped by a bid over 500 and hope people will just wait until the next one shows up in a couple weeks.
Yes, but to me that's just locking up the level above which it's not practical to go higher, psychology has nothing to do with it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Yes, but to me that's just locking up the level above which it's not practical to go higher, psychology has nothing to do with it.
Funny. I would argue psychology has everything to do with it. As a marketer, though, I believe most non-essential purchases are driven by emotion, not practicality.

That said, I don't think we disagree on the principle, but our semantics seem to be driven by our respective professions.