NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2023, 07:49 AM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default MEARS Authentication - Please Help - Need Advice!

Fellow N54's,

I usually stay reserved to asking for help on a personal situation but I'm growing more concerned on a situation that I've been involved in since early this summer with MEARS Authentication.

Before I go into the details, I will share that I've used MEARS several times to authenticate game used memorabilia with a relatively quick turnaround. Costly, yes but they have been pretty quick in the past.

So here is my situation:

In the spring I acquired a pro-model vintage bat through an auction. When it arrived, I was surprised to find a MEARS hologram affixed but without the full LOA.

I reached out to MEARS and asked if they could retrieve the information in their database and they promptly responded that it was noted as A7.

I was happy about this and asked if they could provide a replacement LOA given the bat did not have one. They (Troy Kinunen) responded and said he would indeed issue a replacement letter but the Bat would need to go through a review process to make sure that nothing was altered with the bat.

I thought, fantastic! And even went about paying the $450 fee to have it re-evaluated. So I sent in the bat in June 2023. Troy had stated it would be a few weeks.. no problem.

Around the 4th of July I checked in and he stated that some of his staff was out on vacation/holiday and needed more time... again, no problem.

I let more time pass with some email check in's during late July, August, and even into September before I started asking more frequently and noting my concern.

Calls were made, emails and now growing more silent. Finally in early October I received a note back from Troy (after I needed to ask his assistant, Kim to step in and get a hold of him) and he said it was being "delivered" on the next Thursday. I wasn't sure what that meant if he had sent it off or what but regardless I was optimistic.

and then... nothing. Since mid-October, there has been no follow up or response to my inquires.

I get that these things take time and I can appreciate the ability to be thorough with research but I'm confused on how the timing can be so off and have grown very concerned. I hate being a pest but this bat does hold a significant amount of value to me and part of me wants to just pay the fee and ask for it to be returned regardless of outcome.

I'd love to get this groups thoughts if they have had any similar situations with MEARS or what they would do in this case.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:05 AM
Joe M.

Not good customer service.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-08-2023, 11:08 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

I have always had good customer service from Troy. Not sure what is going on in this instance. Was there a problem with the bat ever mentioned by Kim or Troy? Did you get a tracking number from them when they said it had shipped? It sounds like he sent it to John Taube or someone else to review his conclusion of the game use. I think being concerned on your part is warranted. I would keep calling until you get a real answer as to what is going on.

Last edited by rand1com; 11-08-2023 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Content
Old 11-08-2023, 11:10 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I would be very worried, too. It has been far too long to say poor customer service. I hope nothing nefarious has happened to your bat. I would say it is time to get serious and start making a lot of noise.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:28 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'd also be pissed. Awful communication and in no way acceptable.

You may want to post this in the Memorabilia Section, to get more advice and clarity. There are lots of people over there who have likely dealt with Troy/Mears and could shed some additional light.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 11-08-2023, 12:15 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default My Hope

My hope is that even having this thread exist will light a fire under them to get this over and done with. Keep us posted.... will be interested in the outcome. Good luck and best wishes for a good resolution. Rocky
Old 11-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Update

Thanks for letting me lay this out there and the input.

Coincident or not, I ended up getting a email from Troy at MEARS today that they are not going to make a decision on my item as there is no timetable for some information that is out there.

So they are going to refund me and send the bat back without an opinion.

I'm not sure if I'm frustrated or not, just happy to have resolve as I thought it was going to take me showing up in person several times in order to get something to happen.

Again, all of this was supposed to be a "reviewed" to ensure it was in the original condition as it was previously authenticated.

The easiest thing an authentication company could do would be to effectively communicate. Don't provide false timelines or information. I would have had no problem if they said it would take 3-6 months to review. I would appreciate that level of detail!
Attached Images
File Type: png Troy Note.PNG (7.5 KB, 255 views)
Old 11-08-2023, 12:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyscards View Post
Thanks for letting me lay this out there and the input.

Coincident or not, I ended up getting a email from Troy at MEARS today that they are not going to make a decision on my item as there is no timetable for some information that is out there.

So they are going to refund me and send the bat back without an opinion.

I'm not sure if I'm frustrated or not, just happy to have resolve as I thought it was going to take me showing up in person several times in order to get something to happen.

Again, all of this was supposed to be a "reviewed" to ensure it was in the original condition as it was previously authenticated.

The easiest thing an authentication company could do would be to effectively communicate. Don't provide false timelines or information. I would have had no problem if they said it would take 3-6 months to review. I would appreciate that level of detail!
Be happy you got/will get your bat back and never deal with them again.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:36 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

What's odd is that they evaluated and graded it once (A7) and they could've simply stood by their original opinion and pocketed your $450.

For them to forego that fee and change their A7 opinion to "no opinion" makes me wonder about the authenticity of the item itself. After you get it back, I'd see if you could have a brief conversation with Troy (being polite and respectful) to see why they wouldn't re-confirm their original opinion.

FWIW Troy's been a very pleasant guy to deal with, from my experience.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:54 PM
Jeremy W.

You've been more than patient.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:07 PM
Jim Caravello

I would be out of business if I ran my business this way…..glad you at least got your bat back…
Old 11-08-2023, 03:27 PM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
What's odd is that they evaluated and graded it once (A7) and they could've simply stood by their original opinion and pocketed your $450.

For them to forego that fee and change their A7 opinion to "no opinion" makes me wonder about the authenticity of the item itself. After you get it back, I'd see if you could have a brief conversation with Troy (being polite and respectful) to see why they wouldn't re-confirm their original opinion.

FWIW Troy's been a very pleasant guy to deal with, from my experience.

I do agree and know there was conflicting thoughts between PSA and MEARS. So I do appreciate the diligence to research thoroughly. However, I think they should have outlined that it would need full reevaluation as that would have been more accurate. I know they do not want to authenticate something that is questionable. I just would have hoped for more honesty up front.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:49 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyscards View Post
I do agree and know there was conflicting thoughts between PSA and MEARS. So I do appreciate the diligence to research thoroughly. However, I think they should have outlined that it would need full reevaluation as that would have been more accurate. I know they do not want to authenticate something that is questionable. I just would have hoped for more honesty up front.
I understand and agree. If Troy sent it to John, I could understand how Troy couldn't give a definitive timetable to when John would evaluate and return it. Yes, Troy could've told you that up front, and should have.

But what I'm saying is that there may be a much larger issue here - your item's authenticity may be questionable. Assuming you get it back intact, you might end up having some conversations with the seller/AH of the item.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:58 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

But he already authenticated it once upon a time. Hope you did not pay too much for it because I doubt it will pass any other authentication service. Mistakes happen and it appears you did not buy it based on a MEARS opinion.

Last edited by rand1com; 11-09-2023 at 10:24 AM. Reason: content
Old 11-08-2023, 06:08 PM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Follow

Yes, it was already authenticated but I purchased it knowing there was a difference of opinion.

I’m not fighting the authenticity as much as the mislead of the process.

Everything over time will be disputed with more information and I get that. But I wish it was more clearly defined of the “re-evaluation” process given it was already deemed by the company as A7 (authentic)
Old 11-09-2023, 08:31 AM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Closing

To close this out, I got my bat back and appreciate the decision that MEARS made as I was growing more and more impatient with the process.

It was clear there were discrepancies from different parties and I appreciate the diligence they took to research/evaluate, etc. At the end of the day it is their name on the item and their reputation.

All I wanted was clear communication given the timelines and what I had "signed up for" had changed into a full re-evaluation.