NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2023, 05:16 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default A New Rule Must be Instituted for All New Pick-Ups Threads!!

***WARNING: Facetiousness Alert!!!!***

Let me start with this...

newpickupsstaringbackatgirlmeme04.jpg

Unless you are not human, how is it possible to open up ANY new pick-ups thread and not be completely jealous and blown away by all of the gorgeous items there???? After all, no one is posting Bud Daley and Al Jackson commons in the hopes of getting pats on the back.
Nope. Every new post in these threads is made for the express purpose of impressing and dazzling everyone else.

What can be done to assuage the envy that takes years off of each and every collector's life???

Here's the solution:
For now on, if you choose to post something in any new pick-ups thread, you MUST include exactly what you paid for each item posted.*

The end result would be a welcome relief, and look something like this:

BEFORE 'prices paid' was mandatory:
"Holy hell!!!!!!!! Look at that incredible haul of Mantles, Clementes and all of those short print high numbers!!!!!! I wanna cry. My life sucks...and I'm sure my wife doesn't even love me anymore.** I need a nap."

AFTER 'prices paid' was made mandatory:
"Holy hell!!!!!!!! Look at that incredible haul of Mantles, Clementes and all of those short print high numbers!!!!!! Wait, he paid almost two times as much as I could've gotten the same cards for at my LCS????? What a joke!!!! Holy crap, what a schmuck!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!"

It's a start.

*Perhaps receipts or links to ended auctions woud be required? We can suss all of that out later.
** Ha!! Like she ever did!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-08-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:37 PM
Mike P.ap

Default .........

Sounds fun.

This card.

Actually in negotiations right now on Ebay. He wants $9200 but since only half exists, I'm praying he accepts my $4600 offer....

s-l1600.jpg
Old 11-08-2023, 07:33 PM

The below riveting re-creation of my post on the recent October pickup thread differs to beg:

jarmilaandbrianpadres098 (72x100).jpg #169 Report Post
10-24-2023, 10:39 AM

Always exciting to post the least valuable card on these threads. As a bonus I provide you with a very small image to whet your appetite. I will be posting a separate thread on these cards at a later date. Which of course demands that you set your timepieces and notify your local town crier to spread the word of this highly anticipated thread's arrival.

russell'srustlersplayingcard.jpeg

Brian (going against the grain since some period of time after the widespread prevalence of power sanders. And as a man of my word, I eventually created the thread about the Russell's Rustlers playing cards...check it out!)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-08-2023 at 07:43 PM. Reason: substituted as for like. I like as more than like
Old 11-08-2023, 09:28 PM
Luke Lyon

There might be a third option of how to react other than jealousy or making fun of someone for paying a lot of money.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:58 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
There might be a third option of how to react other than jealousy or making fun of someone for paying a lot of money.
You do understand that this thread was supposed to be in fun, right?? Should I have added a bunch of these to spell it out better for you?

My gawd.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 11-08-2023, 11:11 PM
Luke Lyon

Ok, my bad. Guess I just didn't get it. I missed the facetious warning at the beginning first time I read it.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:04 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Maybe we could frame it in a different way.

As we post the cards we spend too much money on we could define what we could have done with the money otherwise.

For example:

"Here's my dinner for 4 at a swanky restaurant".

"Here's my all expenses paid trip to Hawaii".

"Here's my kitchen remodel".

"Here's my new truck". Etc...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-09-2023, 12:29 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Or in my case, " I could have ate at Arby's ".
Old 11-09-2023, 05:26 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
Sounds fun.

This card.

Actually in negotiations right now on Ebay. He wants $9200 but since only half exists, I'm praying he accepts my $4600 offer....

Attachment 596446

Ahh... the famous Pat Borders with 2 borders error! Good luck with the negotiations!!
Old 11-09-2023, 07:36 AM
mͺttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrfan1 View Post
or in my case, " i could have ate at arby's ".
🤣
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-09-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Ahh... the famous Pat Borders with 2 borders error! Good luck with the negotiations!!
You beat me to it
Old 11-09-2023, 01:57 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
***WARNING: Facetiousness Alert!!!!***

Let me start with this...

Attachment 596441

Unless you are not human, how is it possible to open up ANY new pick-ups thread and not be completely jealous and blown away by all of the gorgeous items there???? After all, no one is posting Bud Daley and Al Jackson commons in the hopes of getting pats on the back.
Nope. Every new post in these threads is made for the express purpose of impressing and dazzling everyone else.

What can be done to assuage the envy that takes years off of each and every collector's life???

Here's the solution:
For now on, if you choose to post something in any new pick-ups thread, you MUST include exactly what you paid for each item posted.*

The end result would be a welcome relief, and look something like this:

• BEFORE 'prices paid' was mandatory:
"Holy hell!!!!!!!! Look at that incredible haul of Mantles, Clementes and all of those short print high numbers!!!!!! I wanna cry. My life sucks...and I'm sure my wife doesn't even love me anymore.** I need a nap."

• AFTER 'prices paid' was made mandatory:
"Holy hell!!!!!!!! Look at that incredible haul of Mantles, Clementes and all of those short print high numbers!!!!!! Wait, he paid almost two times as much as I could've gotten the same cards for at my LCS????? What a joke!!!! Holy crap, what a schmuck!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!"

It's a start.

*Perhaps receipts or links to ended auctions woud be required? We can suss all of that out later.
** Ha!! Like she ever did!
Allow me to say "My Cards" is about 10 times prettier (eye appeal, daddy o) than "New Pickups Thread". Just sayin'...

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-09-2023, 03:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Allow me to say "My Cards" is about 10 times prettier (eye appeal, daddy o) than "New Pickups Thread". Just sayin'...
She certainly gets wrongfully overlooked in those memes. Lose the scowl and she's quite fetching, methinks, too.

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-09-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
sounds fun.

This card.

Actually in negotiations right now on ebay. He wants $9200 but since only half exists, i'm praying he accepts my $4600 offer....

Attachment 596446
stay away from my card!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2023, 07:14 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
She certainly gets wrongfully overlooked in those memes. Lose the scowl and she's quite fetching, methinks, too.
I always look at this meme and think, "Isn't that the same lady?" But I understand. My wife hits me too when I tell her I like the vintage her better than the current her.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo