NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Collecting Query for Old Timers

Posted By: Jim

Hi- Very nice forum - obviously, some thoughtful and knowledgeable people here.

I was thinking of starting a T206 collection and have spent a fair amount of time punting around the internet the last week or so looking at available information, dealer sites, Ebay, forums, etc. I'm a novice - I've never collected anything other than ex-wives, but I was very much attracted to the set's colors and graphic simplicity as well as the range of cards available and the history of that particular era in the game. For what it's worth, I very much enjoyed the "Crazy 08" book discussed here a couple of days past.

My concern is that this all seems to have become so well studied and, more to the point, interconnected thanks to the internet, that the things I suppose would be interesting as a potential collector - the rare find, a good surprise, a "bargain" or at least a good deal, etc. - seem to be possibly absent. For example, in the waning moments of an ebay auction (at least for HOF, high condition, examples etc.), there seems to be a remarkable correlation between the winning bid and the value derived from the valuation metric at the T206.org website (I may have that reference wrong, but I don't want to navigate away from this page to check it). In some sense, it just doesn't quite seem the same as attending swap meets, garage sales looking for that... .

Here's a twist if you fit the bill. My greatest passion is flyfishing - to me there seem to be some very obvious comparisons. Anyone with direct experience on the subject?

In any event, any thoughts on the subject(s) would be greatly appreciated. Also, please forgive me if I've violated any taboos - as I said, I'm a novice.

Thanks, Jim

Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I'd suggest picking out 3 or 4 of the Cubs players mentioned in the book you read, and then doing a search like this:

T206 (evers,brown,reulbach,chance,steinfeldt)

Then make notes of the players, how good the card was, and the winning price.

Bid a few times, low. Gradually, you'll get a feel for how much a card is worth. One day a card will come along that you just want, pull the trigger. Eventually you can put together a bunch of Cubs!

[linked image]

Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

"I'm a novice - I've never collected anything other than ex-wives"

Heh, heh-that's the best line I've seen on here in quite some time!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Jim,

you will be amazed at the rare finds, good surprises, bargains, etc. that will come your way once you commit to the Monster.

Many will come from this very fine board.

Just this past year,I was able to get a Drum back from a most scholarly T206 friend for what he paid for it some 25 years ago! Another card came my way gratis, simply because he knew I needed it.

Another friend in the hobby sold me his only Cobb bat off so that i could complete the Monster, selling it for what he paid for it.

And the surprises abound, even beyond the Monster. It's especially fun to

watch the BST and grab something you thought you'd never have.

I was able to get a Fan craze box at a great price with Claude Ritchey on the

bottom---i had given up finding one.

Another friend discounted a T200 for me because he knew his asking price was 25% or so above my limit.
And an AB cigarette pack full of beautiful cigarettes came my way at a steal of a price from a good friend on the board.

I could go on and on.

This is a great place to be with good friends abounding.

And the Monster is without peer,imho.

I hope to see you join the quest.

And once you do---as Paul and I will remind you again and again---

the Monster wants you to quit. Don't listen to it.

all the best,

Barry

Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

Hi Jim,

First off...Welcome to the board

I would like to echo Barry's comments above. The best thing that I ever did for my card collection was joining this forum. I am also a novice T206 collector and have been more productive here than anywhere else in acquiring cards for my set. Stick around, you'll see.

As far as your comment about the "rare finds" or "good surprise", we had a young man, who is a member of this board find a T206 not even a year ago that turned out to be the only known example to date in existence. I am not into the "backs", but I have picked up a few with front/back combinations that have very low populations right from our BST page.

It all comes down to what you make of the Monster. The Monster isn't like ex-wives. It just doesn't go away.

Don't hesitate to ask. Alot of good people here.

Hope this helps,

Jantz

Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Hi Jim,
Collecting cards is a lot like fly fishing. You won't catch fish sitting at home. You have to be out on the water trying different streams and rivers. Sometimes you catch fish and sometimes you don't. With cards you need to be at garage sales, auctions, card shows, surfing the net, and checking antique shops. Sometimes you find cards, sometimes you don't.

Good luck and I would like to warn you that once you start collecting the T206's you will become addicted.

Rick

Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

there seems to be a remarkable correlation between the winning bid and the value derived from the valuation metric at the T206.org website.............

that happens with high supply, high demand items. The price goes to just a few dollars above the norm and folks just wait for the next one to come along. Bad news, not so many bargains. Good news, not easy to grossly overpay.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...for me is not in the bargain-basement find (although there is much joy in such finds, to be sure). The real joy is the privilege of ownership of these historic relics. But you will find some great deals on our local B/S/T thread.

I maintain an archive of T206 discussions from Net54 on my website (link below). I have recently updated it, and just about every topic that we have discussed here at any length regarding T206 over the past two or three years is on there. It is a real time-killer.

Welcome and enjoy the hunt!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Like the ones in PA and NY, or the National, there will be lots of T206 available. Get to know the rarities and variations in the set, like backs, factories, etc., and start thumbing through stacks. I've found some of my best T206s that way.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott B.

Make sure you check t206museum.com as well. Plenty of useful information.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Frank,

Is that all 36 Cubs from T206?? I think I have 1...
I think the Cubs are the MOST represented in the T206.. correct?

Marty
Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

The Giants are, Marty. I think it's 52.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

52 Giants.. wow.. thanks Anthony..

Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That's every one of the Cubs.

I didn't scan my Giants because I lacked Mathewson's portrait card. Never have owned one of those.

There are more Giants cards than of any other team in the white border set, just like they've stated above. Lots of Cubs. Not many Red Sox or Phillies. It is obvious that the cards reflect what seemed to be going on in baseball about 1906 through 1908.

In another thread Rich Rubin mentioned that he had pdfs of T206 articles. Among them is Egan's list of them from the early 1970s. He has them listed, American League by team, alphabetically; then National League by team, alphabetically; then minors by team, then each of the 3 southern leagues, by team. And THAT is how contemporary collectors sorted them, how the old guys did it, too. I encourage everyone to sort them that way. It really helps to discern the development and progression of the cards. And then you can bunch all of those Cubs upon the scanner, like I did.