NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2002, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Default Returns on ebay sales issue

Posted By: jay behrens

>(1) a no returns policy for professionally graded cards

Understandable to a certain degree, but any good business should not rule out returns for legitimate reasons

>(2) a restocking fee on returned cards

Lame attempt by greedy people to make extra money for doing almost nothing. No one's card business is that large to justify it.

>(3) a refund of the purchase price but not the >shipping costs

pretty standard practice for returns.

Jay

Old 02-26-2002, 02:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

(3) I have a No Questions Asked return period for refund not including shipping/ebay costs, but I will pay the shipping cost anyway if the return was caused by my mistake (misgrade,whatever). The buyer has the option to return it because he changed his mind and wanted a different flavor, but he then eats the shipping/ebay costs.

Old 02-26-2002, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Since the only reason I sell cards (so far) has been because I got my a** in a predicament on buying other cards I do not take returns generally. I put up good scans (most of the times) and good descriptions. I am not a dealer and I am not a store. This is an auction folks. It's not retail. With that being said I would listen to a return request. Being in business for a while I have heard a few pretty good stories so I am not close minded. If the potential return was my fault I would eat the shipping charges. Restock fees are stupid but if they were stated up front at time of purchase I might not have a problem with them on a return that was the buyers fault. I know these will not be a lot of folks sentiments but what can I say. I never go with the flow just to go with the flow.....best regards all......

Old 02-26-2002, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

for what it's worth.....

(1) I think Professionally graded cards should be returnable. There are HUGE swings in a PSA7 or PSA8 depending on when it was graded and, whether you believe it or not, who submitted it. I've seen 7's that look like 9's and 8's that look like 5's. With improper scans, it's a pain in the.....

(2) Restocking fees are B.S. Generally used for stuff like electronics and computer goods. I bought a 2K laptop at Best Buy and noticed there was a 15% restocking fee--even if you brought it back in within the 30 day grace period. That's a little excessive but I do understand having to ensure packaging is returned to as close to original state as possible. On cards? For putting it back in the 'shoe' box? Re-entering it into inventory? Sounds like someone trying to make a buck.

(3) If seller made the mistake, they should eat the costs and if buyer decides against goods, they should eat the costs. If seller made the mistake they should actually eat the return costs as well. That doesn't happen too often.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

lol

Old 02-26-2002, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Re-stocking fees are totally bogus in my opinion.

I do not think that you should be able to get your shipping costs reimbursed on a return.

As for returns on graded cards, here is my policy: I say in all of my sales "No return on graded cards." However, I would probably take one for a good customer. That being said, I do try and provide clear and accurate scans. I personally get frustrated when a buyer is disappointed with a card, but never asked for additional scans, etc. before the close of the auction .

If you are going to purchase a card on Ebay, I think that any questions, etc. should be handled prior to the close of an auction. It is a waste of my time and energy, as a seller, to have buyers disappointed with cards because they didn't ask questions beforehand. I'll take returns, if need be, but be an active and participating buyer -- ask questions (before 2 hours before the close of the auction), request scans, etc., and I will be happy to accomodate.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I just received a check for the exact amount of purchase - no s&h. I didn't worry about it. I have never had anyone return anything, so I figure it will happen so seldom that I should just do anything within reason to keep those customers happy. I've even made a few trades where I knew I wasn't getting a good deal. I sort of assume I'm dealing with other collectors for the most part and things will come around - so far it's worked great!

The main exception I WOULD NOT make would be if someone bought one of my cards to get it graded, then wanted their money back because the grading company didn't give them the grade they wanted (unless I promised a grade up front, which I actually did once!).

Old 02-26-2002, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw 

What are the board's feelings on the following:

(1) a no returns policy for professionally graded cards

(2) a retocking fee on returned cards

(3) a refund of the purchase price but not the shipping costs

Old 02-26-2002, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I suggest two things:

1. Images you post are clear
2. Your item description is honest.

Do those and you shouldn't have to return a card - ever. Knock on wood - I have never had to refund money except for 2 cases where the card was lost in mail and they bought insurance.

Oh yeah, MAKE SURE YOU ARE CLEAR ABOUT POSTAL INSURANCE. I guaranty I will mail the card but I don't take responsibility for the postal system. If the buyer doesn't buy insurance - NO REFUND if it's lost, sorry. I have my receipt showing I mailed it. Sure insurance is a loss if the deal goes smooth but when there is a problem at least the buyer gets his money back and you don't get screwed either.

Rule of thumb - CYA!

Old 02-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

(1) I don't buy/sell slabbed items, but I suspect the argument for no returns on graded cards is that if there is a problem with the grade, then the beef should be with the grader. Unless there something very obviously wrong with the card/holder, this seems to me to be a resonable argument.

Old 02-26-2002, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Sedlock

If postal insurance was purchased by the customer and the package not delivered...does anyone know how long it takes to prove to the post office in order to receive the insurance back on the item? I am in a little predicament involving postal insurance. I purchased from an item on eBay going back to mid-December and it was never delivered. The seller claims that he is still waiting to hear from the post office. Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Tim

Old 02-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

This is what I went through:

I had to wait at least 30 days from the day it ws mailed.

After 30 days, I was given a form, filled out my portion, mailed it to the receipient to fill out a section of the form and he returned the form to me.

I went to the post office with the completed form and was given a money order on the spot.

Of course, this was for only $35. If your situation was for big money maybe the process is different. Of course if the insurance was over $50 you should have tracking number? If you have the number you can track the item via the PO web site I think.