NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Default Walden's monthly 1894/ info?

I recently acquired the first 4 issues (only ones?) of Walden's monthly from 1894. I was attracted to them by the fact it was written and edited by Henry Chadwick, and the baseball articles are primarily about very early baseball, i.e. 1850's and the 1869-70 red stockings. It covers all sports with some very nice early football and reference to early basketball among others, but most of the coverage is baseball. The illustration I have attached below I do not remember seeing before, and it notes it is based upon a 1858 photo, which I also had not seen before that I can recall.
My question is does anyone have any information on this publication? The only references I could find are contemporary notices of publication and an intriguing reference to it in a letter from Chadwick to Doc Adams sending him the 1894 issues. (August 16, 1898).
If anyone knows anything about Walden's, or has other issues I would love to hear about it. It was not mentioned in the modern histories I have, although the Adams letter is referenced frequently.
I am also researching other areas of this and am still reading the articles, so may add to this from time to time.
Thank you.
Sorry photo did not attach, I will try to add it later.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Concerning the illustration, I should have said it depicts an 1858 game at Gotham field, but is "after" an 1860 photo. Will attach photo soon, I hope. Sorry.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Some photos, including the Gotham illustration, one I believe is meant to be George Wright, And a couple sample pages about 1850's games. Hope they come out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1467.jpg (64.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1466.jpg (67.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1473.jpg (77.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1471.jpg (78.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Joe

I don't have any further information, but that is very cool. Thanks for sharing Bruce.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:03 PM
GaryPassamonte

The "George Wright" Boston image was included in a twelve panel insert in an 1875 baseball instructional booklet. Two of the twelve photographs were described as looking more like Wright's teammate Ross Barnes. The image you have here is one of the two that could possibly be Ross Barnes. This information comes from the 1984 SABR National Pastime publication on page 22.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:48 PM

Thanks Gary, I continue to hope that I will find that 1875 book some day. I had not made that connection since this is not a photo, but you are the Barnes expert. This particular article does have a photo of Wright on the next page and does pertain to the Spalding tour of England.
Joe, I am sending you a photo of the article on the English baseball games from1898 that are covered in one issue. Hope it pertains to your stuff.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Thanks Gary, I continue to hope that I will find that 1875 book some day. I had not made that connection since this is not a photo, but you are the Barnes expert. This particular article does have a photo of Wright on the next page and does pertain to the Spalding tour of England.
Joe, I am sending you a photo of the article on the English baseball games from1898 that are covered in one issue. Hope it pertains to your stuff.

Thanks Bruce! The 1894 Walden monthly article that you sent me is great. It describes the Thespians' 1983 British championship game at Hyde Farm, Balham.

IMG_3166.JPG

This is a picture of that 1893 Thespians team. (btw - in British "tie" means game or one game that is part of a competition.)

lbb15.jpg

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 04-10-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:13 PM

The upside down illustration I posted above has a notation in the corner which indicates it is after a photo from 1860. See image below. Does anyone know what photo that might be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1502.jpg (58.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Joe

interesting...humm..the illustration is a well know image. It is the Currier & Ives work entitled "The American National Game of Baseball"...google the american national game of baseball and you will see many versions.

"The most famous, and the most sought-after baseball print, is the Currier & Ives print "The American National Game of Baseball. The Grand Match for the Championship at the Elysian Fields, Hoboken, N.J." Issued in 1866 shortly after the Civil War, this is a terrific, large folio print showing a championship game in 1865, between the Mutual Club of Manhattan and the Atlantic Club of Brooklyn. "

The Currier Ives lithograph is described as 1865 game, yet your Walden illustration says 1858.

elysian-fields-baseball-game (1).jpg

3af984e995fa88e33f171d48af34ea44.jpg
Old 04-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Joe

both images side-by-side

IMG_1467.jpg
Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Joe

Bruce - I came across this interesting blog which seems to explain it..fascinating read. The image captured is actually a game in 1860.

https://ourgame.mlblogs.com/unraveli...y-b443c0541c96

"Further snooping has revealed some truly startling information about the game’s most celebrated and valuable image: the 1866 Currier & Ives lithograph “American National Game of Base Ball: Grand Match for the Championship at the Elysian Fields, Hoboken, N.J.” Long believed to depict the 1865 match between the Atlantic of Brooklyn and the Mutual of New York, it has turned out be something else entirely: a fantasy game, one that the baseball world desired but that never was played."

"An August 1, 1860 ad by a book seller in the Buffalo Daily Courier of August 1, 1860 mentioned that pictures of the recent match between the Atlantic and Excelsior (played on July 19) appeared in the current edition of Demorest’s New-York Illustrated News, which would have been the issue of July 29 [actually it was August 4]."

While I don't think there was a photograph of the 1860 game, the likenesses of the players in the illustration are taken from actual photographs of the teams depicted.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:29 AM

Joe, thanks for the reference and especially for the help of side by sides. There is a very good analysis if the Currier and Ives print by John Thorn, sorry I don't know how to post a link, but it has "unraveling " in the title. He has this information and is interested. Still, it would be great to find the photo.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:15 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Joe, thanks for the reference and especially for the help of side by sides. There is a very good analysis if the Currier and Ives print by John Thorn, sorry I don't know how to post a link, but it has "unraveling " in the title. He has this information and is interested. Still, it would be great to find the photo.
yes, I know, that is what I posted above in #11- the link to Thorn's blog - it is very interesting. I assume that is what you are referring to, as it has "unraveling" in the title. Here is the link again...

https://ourgame.mlblogs.com/unraveli...y-b443c0541c96
Old 04-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Yes, that is it. That post was not there when I began mine, they must have crossed. It will be interesting to see if John Thorn is able to further unravel with this other reference. Thanks again, Joe.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Barry Sloate

I believe Currier & Ives printed their litho in 1866. If you look at the cluster of fans to the right of the umpire, you can see Henry Chadwick among the group, facing towards the camera and away from the game. I do not see him in the B&W print.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Yes, Barry, I think you are right. The Currier artist did enhance and add some things. John Thorn's is very interesting, especially with Creighton as the pitcher.