NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Banned

Default News stamp dating

Was wondering if someone could help me determine the era this particular photo stamp was used. Never seen it before but with the absence of a zip code my gut tells me 1950's

Old 02-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Jack T

This doesn't narrow it down too much for you Joey, but there is a 2 digit zip code ( 17 ) in that stamp.

Two digit zip codes were in effect from 1943 - 1963.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan View Post
This doesn't narrow it down too much for you Joey, but there is a 2 digit zip code ( 17 ) in that stamp.

Two digit zip codes were in effect from 1943 - 1963.
hey thanks man. Didnt even notice that. Well that definitely narrows it down. That particular stamp isnt in the book I have so hoping someone knows more about it
Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 AM

I have handled a ton of NY Daily News photos and while they had a few styles of "pre-zip code" stamps from the post WWII era, seems like the example you posted is their last version (late 1950's-1960's). One thing to keep in mind is that they used their stamps for several years and there is no exact window like other companies that moved offices or changed their stamps for legal reasons. I would be willing to bet if I looked around I could find this stamp used after 1963 as well possibly by some older reporters who just did not care and probably some used as early as the mid 1950's, so that breaks it down to probably 1955-1965 I would estimate, but there is not going to be any way based on the stamp alone that you are going to narrow it down. "The News" was probably the worst of all the archives or collections we have looked at as far as narrowing anything down past about 5-10 years absent other markings.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I have handled a ton of NY Daily News photos and while they had a few styles of "pre-zip code" stamps from the post WWII era, seems like the example you posted is their last version (late 1950's-1960's). One thing to keep in mind is that they used their stamps for several years and there is no exact window like other companies that moved offices or changed their stamps for legal reasons. I would be willing to bet if I looked around I could find this stamp used after 1963 as well possibly by some older reporters who just did not care and probably some used as early as the mid 1950's, so that breaks it down to probably 1955-1965 I would estimate, but there is not going to be any way based on the stamp alone that you are going to narrow it down. "The News" was probably the worst of all the archives or collections we have looked at as far as narrowing anything down past about 5-10 years absent other markings.
Hey, RMY, where's the February auction??? I'm going through withdrawal here! I know I'm not the only one. Throw us a bone!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 PM

When we get too much good stuff it takes a little while longer to get it up and running. It should be up for bidding by the end of the week, ending in early March. I think you will be pleased, its 1200+ lots and worth the wait